PDA

View Full Version : 2 more fatties blame McDonalds

NastyDawg
10-12-2006, 10:32 PM
I'm so sick of this stuff, why can't people take account for there own actions.http://bestsmileys.com/dogs/4.gif

McDonald's Didn't Make Them Fat

By John Stossel

I have a question for federal Judge Robert Sweet: If your own children blamed McDonald's for making them fat, would you buy it?

I don't think so.

Yet the judge has given the green light to a lawsuit against McDonald's by two teenaged girls who claim the popular fast-food chain tricked them into eating food that made them fat and sick. At first it looked as if this lawsuit was going to be pushed down the garbage disposal, but now it's back. What's going on?

Three years ago, the girls accused McDonald's of deceptive advertising and selling unhealthy food. Judge Sweet dismissed the suit because the allegations were too vague. "Where should the line be drawn between an individual's own responsibility to take care of herself and society's responsibility to ensure others shield her?" he asked. "The complaint fails to allege the McDonald's products consumed by the plaintiffs were dangerous in any way other than that which was open and obvious to a reasonable consumer."

But he invited the plaintiffs to re-file it with more specific information. Sure enough, they did, and last month, the judge ruled that the girls had identified to his satisfaction "40 deceptive ads" and "sufficiently described" the harm McDonald's food allegedly caused them: "obesity, hypertension and elevated levels of LDL cholesterol."

Who knows what a jury will do when the lawyers play on its sympathy for the overweight girls. Whether McDonald's wins after a lengthy legal battle or loses and gets hit with a big damage award, you and I will pay through higher prices. Our choice of foods could even be limited if fast-food chains decide it's the only way to avoid future lawsuits. Au revoir, French fries?

Are we a nation of responsible adults or children? I don't want government to be my Daddy any more than I want it to be my Big Brother.

Whatever happened to self-responsibility? Sure, McDonald's commercials put the best spin on its products. All advertisers do that. Individuals should exercise caution, and parents should teach their kids a little skepticism. It's not as if information about nutrition is hard to come by. Today we're constantly harangued about cutting calories, reducing fat, and exercising more. McDonald's competitors, such as Subway, provide lots of counter-information. You'd have to live in a cave not to know about this stuff.

Fast food doesn't have to make you fat. Soso Whaley of New Hampshire once ate only at McDonald's for a month. The result? Unlike the guy who did the "Super Size Me" documentary, Soso lost 10 pounds, and her cholesterol dropped 40 points. How? She didn't pig out. Low-carb dieters have lost weight at McDonald's by eating the burgers without the buns and skipping the fries.

All this goes to show that anyone whose health was harmed by eating at McDonald's only has himself or herself to blame. To bloat himself up an individual has to choose to enter the restaurant on a regular basis, overeat an unbalanced diet, and fail to exercise. Should that person be able to pin his health problems on McDonald's?

If so, where does it stop? You can get fat eating Girl Scout cookies or dining at expensive restaurants. Should we sue someone whenever we don't like the results of what we do?

The consequence will be higher prices and fewer choices for consumers. If that's what our system of "justice" gives us, then something is badly wrong.

I want lower prices and more choices.

I'm not saying people shouldn't be able to sue a business when they have been harmed. But we should limit frivolous lawsuits the way the rest of the world does. The loser should have to pay the legal bills of the winner. It's only fair. It costs a lot of money to defend against a lawsuit, even a frivolous one.

Copyright 2006 Creators Syndicate

Mad Fox
10-13-2006, 12:15 AM
Its just a scheme

JIMINATOR
10-13-2006, 03:31 AM
I blame those bastards too!

cut me a check!

:P

OUTLAWS Tip
10-13-2006, 05:02 AM
Well I guess I'll go after Burger King. Whopper Wednesdays are killing me!!
:P

It gives new meaning to being "Fat and Jolly".
:D

Die Hard
10-13-2006, 07:39 AM
On a side note. Here in the UK McDonanalds now make some great 'real bacon' baguettes which, I'm quite partial to in the mornings :)

EXEcution
10-13-2006, 03:09 PM
Yea I also like the breakfast sandwitches McDonalds makes in the U.S. As a former worker at this popular fast-food enterprise I can honestly say that if a person thinks they can eat this kind of food daily on average (except maybe their salads w/o the chicken) and hope to stay slim, then they might as well shoot themselves in the forehead and hope to live. Sure there's a chance, but are you willing to take it.

Nick
10-13-2006, 03:57 PM
When I was 20 I lost 80 pounds working at a fast food joint where I ate for free...

I have to admit that I gained that weight before...at the same place :D

it<s all about choice and quantity !!

Mpulse
10-13-2006, 04:54 PM
Big Macs... Double Whoppers.... Wendy's Triple... Hardee's Monster Burger.... Grrroooooaaaannnnn..... (Homer Simpson drooling...)

I remember back one time when McDonald's promoted the Double Big Mac, with FOUR beef patties!!! Like Jay Leno said, "A pattie for each chamber of your heart to clog!"...

what these fast food restaurants should be doing is offer MORE healthy foods in their "value menu". When you can get a double cheeseburger for a buck, when a descent salad costs $3.99, which are you gonna get??

FUS1ON
10-13-2006, 06:13 PM
I love the Merge Post feature :rolleyes:

OUTLAWS WHOCARES
10-13-2006, 09:07 PM
I stopped eating fastfood over a year ago. I feel a million times better. Also stopped smoking the kind green stuff. Now if I could stop the Marlboros I will be in good shape.

NastyDawg
10-13-2006, 10:29 PM
I love the Merge Post feature :rolleyes:

http://www.smileypad.com/v224/Feelings/Scratch-Head.gif

FUS1ON
10-13-2006, 10:45 PM
Mpulse had 3 posts back to back to back all within a few minutes of each other so I merged them into one.

NastyDawg
10-13-2006, 10:47 PM
Mpulse had 3 posts back to back to back all within a few minutes of each other so I merged them into one.

OK, was wondering.

EXEcution
10-14-2006, 06:22 AM
Haha! That's called impulsive posting. :rolleyes: :D

Sexyjess
10-14-2006, 12:22 PM
how come most ppl in usa are so FAT i mean it! i dont feel sorry for ppl who are fat!!

its their own fault u have a own choice and still fat ppl saying but its like drugs i mean GOD! your a own person start take responsible for your own action im so SICK of fat uggly ppl who dosent do anything just laying there YUCK! it isent that hard to have your body in shape just do it! stop eating alot of crap food everyday sometimes are ok but always jesus....thats just discusting i dont get it why ppl wanna ruin there body so much...and eat and eat then they cant barly walk thats SICK

are you offended then you need to start do something....

NastyDawg
10-14-2006, 12:47 PM
Wow a Sexyjess sighting, where you been girl.

Sexyjess
10-14-2006, 09:56 PM
Wow a Sexyjess sighting, where you been girl.

lol around :P working and chilling with bf and friends :D living life u :P????

JIMINATOR
10-14-2006, 11:19 PM
lol, jess sharing the luv! :)

be sure to come back in about 20 years when you are a little older, teh body is a little slower, teh pregnacies don't want to go away... see how you feel about what you are saying now...

EXEcution
10-15-2006, 04:24 AM
how come most ppl in usa are so FAT i mean it! i dont feel sorry for ppl who are fat!!

its their own fault u have a own choice and still fat ppl saying but its like drugs i mean GOD! your a own person start take responsible for your own action im so SICK of fat uggly ppl who dosent do anything just laying there YUCK! it isent that hard to have your body in shape just do it! stop eating alot of crap food everyday sometimes are ok but always jesus....thats just discusting i dont get it why ppl wanna ruin there body so much...and eat and eat then they cant barly walk thats SICK

are you offended then you need to start do something....
There's a huge difference in American mentality in regards to "fat people" when compared to the European one. First off not all fat people are necessarily ugly or have eating disorders (where they eat too much). Also not that many people from the USA are fat. Maybe when you compare it to the rest of the world where food is in limited supply, but I've been around the US and 1 out of every 4 people is not fat or has a serious weight issue. It's good to be nice and trim but it's not essential that's only a false image promoted by the media.

Sexyjess
10-16-2006, 05:06 PM
lol, jess sharing the luv! :)

be sure to come back in about 20 years when you are a little older, teh body is a little slower, teh pregnacies don't want to go away... see how you feel about what you are saying now...

lol even if ur 30...40...or more u can still have your body in shape;)

Sexyjess
10-16-2006, 05:28 PM
There's a huge difference in American mentality in regards to "fat people" when compared to the European one. First off not all fat people are necessarily ugly or have eating disorders (where they eat too much). Also not that many people from the USA are fat. Maybe when you compare it to the rest of the world where food is in limited supply, but I've been around the US and 1 out of every 4 people is not fat or has a serious weight issue. It's good to be nice and trim but it's not essential that's only a false image promoted by the media.

i get your point but by uggly i mean to much fat on a body isent that sexy ;) and i KNOW almost every guy in this forum whould prefer a slim babe instead a overwieght cow ;) same with the ladies here...
i already said my point in the first i wrote nothing more to say :)

EXEcution
10-16-2006, 05:33 PM
There are alot of things that I would perfer in a girl too. However, this isn't a perfect world. I certainly wouldn't like a cow but I know that my chances of getting someone with the body of a model are slim (pun not intended). Most girls that I know aren't perfect looking (some are even too skinny for my taste) but I'll take my chances with almost any girl as long as both of us are somewhat attracted to one another.

JIMINATOR
10-16-2006, 05:55 PM
lol even if ur 30...40...or more u can still have your body in shape;)
spoken like someone in the full bloom of youth...

JIMINATOR
10-16-2006, 06:00 PM
i get your point but by uggly i mean to much fat on a body isent that sexy ;) and i KNOW almost every guy in this forum whould prefer a slim babe instead a overwieght cow ;) same with the ladies here...
i already said my point in the first i wrote nothing more to say :)
you know wrong. it is attitudes like yours that lead many young girls to starve themselves with the idea that thin is better or more attractive. anorexia is a leading cause of death for young women, once started it is also tremendously hard to overcome. i find nothing sexy about a bag of bones. and oh yeah, i know you don't mean 'that skinny' but the way many people think is that if a little is good, then a lot must be better.

Sexyjess
10-16-2006, 09:02 PM
you know wrong. it is attitudes like yours that lead many young girls to starve themselves with the idea that thin is better or more attractive. anorexia is a leading cause of death for young women, once started it is also tremendously hard to overcome. i find nothing sexy about a bag of bones. and oh yeah, i know you don't mean 'that skinny' but the way many people think is that if a little is good, then a lot must be better.

hahaha hey i love pizza and chocolate all fat things u can eat candy i love it MUCH :) but after you need to train u cant just eat fat things always sometimes are okej like i said before but not to much!! im just saying like the topic is about,,,

u cant go around and eat fat and then blame someone else..u must take care of your own body...im not saying MODEL BODY,,,im just saying take care of what u have...u will even live a longer life if u dont eat crap food everyday so...your choice :P im not giving up fat are not sexy!!! :D :P :)

Suicidal
10-17-2006, 01:30 AM
"Ah, I spilled coffee on my lap! Why didn't you tell me it was hot?! I'm filing a lawsuit for this!"

Heh heh, I weigh less than 130 lbs (check my little info thing on the leftmight give you a clue to how skinny I really am). I still love McDonalds food (especially the fries).

McDonalds is having some issues with the law lately. It's funny to think that none of them would make any real sense if any of US were the judge of them.

JIMINATOR
10-17-2006, 03:33 AM
yeah, I bet if you were strapped in a chair and dumped a cup of 190 degree coffee in your lap then you would know the meaning of hot.... :thumbs:

EXEcution
10-17-2006, 01:50 PM
I'm pretty sure that he would no longer be able to use his naughty place to do naughty things after such an incident.