PDA

View Full Version : Board of Health approves trans fat ban in NYC

NastyDawg
12-06-2006, 03:07 PM
(New York-WABC, December 5, 2006) - From bodegas, to pizzerias, to high-end restaurants, the city's Board of Health voted earlier this morning to make New York the first city in the nation to ban trans fats.
Eyewitness News reporter Jeff Rossen is live in Lower Manhattan with the story.

The board approved the ruling by a unanimous vote.

Restaurants will be given a slight break by relaxing what had been considered a tight deadline for compliance.

Restaurants will be barred from using most frying oils containing artificial trans fats by July 2007, but there will be a three month grace period. That's actually something the Board of Health added today.

However, restaurants will have until July 1, 2008 to eliminate artificial trans fats from all foods.

However there will be a three month grace period Trans fats are believed to be harmful because they contribute to heart disease by raising bad cholesterol and lowering good cholesterol at the same time.

The restaurant industry has told Eyewitness News that they will take the issue to federal court and also appeal to the New York City Council. The ongoing debate has been whether or not the city has the right to tell you what you can and cannot eat.

We will continue to follow this developing story for and will have more on it 5:00 p.m.

A big deal or not???

BobtheCkroach
12-06-2006, 03:13 PM
I'm really not sure what I think of this. On one hand, I think that if we want to eat something, we should be able to do. On the other hand, I would love to see cigarettes get banned, b/c of the damage they cause over the long-run, and I guess that's not much different than how a trans fat works (in broad terms, obviously not how it's working in your body, etc).

I'm really on the fence about this one. Some one wanna try and give me a push?

I dunno. We lived w/o them until the 70s. They were added for flavoring reasons, and many studies suggest they aren't actually that noticeable anyways, if I remember what I read a couple months ago.

Hmmm...

Die Hard
12-06-2006, 09:16 PM
I don't know many people who died.......

Mad Fox
12-07-2006, 12:42 AM
I believe in choices.

JIMINATOR
12-07-2006, 04:14 AM
eh, no biggie. i think mostly this is going to apply to cooking oils. those french frys (or chips for the british) will still kill you, just not as fast.

trans fats have been used to make things creamier and smoother on the tongue. if you have eaten oreos lately you will probably have noticed that they seem different from what they were a year ago. that is because they have removed the trans fats.

He Is Legend
12-07-2006, 09:07 AM
american is ment for FREEDOM

freedom of speech , freedom of choice .

Die Hard
12-07-2006, 03:22 PM
Freedom to spell.......

NastyDawg
12-07-2006, 03:40 PM
Freedom to spell.......

lol, even dawg saw that

Nitro