PDA

View Full Version : The Best: Science Fictions

NastyDawg
12-08-2006, 08:32 PM
Fiction: If you fall into quicksand, you’ll be sucked under and die.
Fact: You’ll only sink up to your waist.

Fiction: Sitting too close to the TV will ruin your eyes.
Fact: It causes fatigue but no permanent damage.

Fiction: Earth’s rotation causes bathtubs, sinks, and toilets to drain clockwise in the northern hemisphere, counterclockwise in the southern hemisphere.
Fact: They can go either way in either hemisphere. The shape of the basin and the direction of the incoming flow overwhelm the minuscule effect of planetary spin.

Fiction: Benjamin Franklin’s kite was struck by lightning.
Fact: The kite picked up electricity from the air, causing an arc between Franklin’s hand and a key tied to his end of the string.

Fiction: A penny dropped from the top of a skyscraper can kill someone.
Fact: It could never pick up enough velocity to kill, just to bang you up a little.

Fiction: Swimming after you eat will cause cramps and lead to drowning.
Fact: There is a very slight risk of cramps, but only for vigorous swimmers.

Fiction: A drunken teenager can tip over a sleeping cow.
Fact: It would take several semisober people and a paralyzed cow. Anyway, cows sleep lying down.

Fiction: There’s a dark side of the moon.
Fact: The entire lunar surface receives sunlight during the moon’s monthly orbit around Earth.

Fiction: Swallowed chewing gum takes seven years to digest.
Fact: Gum is not digested. It passes through the gastro-intestinal system, usually within 24 hours.

– Aria Pearson

Man I feel so much better knowing this stuff http://www.smileypad.com/v224/Happy/Big-Smile.gif

EXEcution
12-08-2006, 08:40 PM
Same here. Now I don't have to worry about the 100 pieces of gum that I swallowed throughout the course of my lifetime.

Die Hard
12-09-2006, 12:41 PM
Fiction: Earth’s rotation causes bathtubs, sinks, and toilets to drain clockwise in the northern hemisphere, counterclockwise in the southern hemisphere.
Fact: They can go either way in either hemisphere. The shape of the basin and the direction of the incoming flow overwhelm the minuscule effect of planetary spin.Wrong. I have tried it and the water definitely spins in opposite directions according to the hemisphere you are in.

Sirc
12-09-2006, 02:04 PM
Wrong. I have tried it and the water definitely spins in opposite directions according to the hemisphere you are in.

Same with drinking too much. The room spins in opposite directions according to the hemisphere you are in.

NastyDawg
12-09-2006, 03:10 PM
Same with drinking too much. The room spins in opposite directions according to the hemisphere you are in.

Good one Sirc, rotf

Mad Fox
12-09-2006, 04:07 PM
I have gain so much intelligence in just a few moments.

EXEcution
12-09-2006, 08:40 PM
I have gain so much intelligence in just a few moments.
It shows!