View Full Version : 'True gentleman,' ex-President Ford dies at 93

NastyDawg
12-27-2006, 03:11 PM
Rest in Peace President Ford.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/12/27/ford.obit/index.html

NightBreed
12-27-2006, 06:19 PM
RIP Mr. President

here's a little trivia I never thought about...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
Ford was the only occupant of the White House never elected either to the presidency or the vice presidency. A former Republican congressman from Grand Rapids, he always claimed that his highest ambition was to be speaker of the House of Representatives. He had declined opportunities to run for the Senate and for governor of Michigan.

He had become vice president Dec. 6, 1973, two months after Spiro T. Agnew pleaded no contest to a tax evasion charge and resigned from the nation's second-highest office. The former Maryland governor was under investigation for accepting bribes and kickbacks.

Ford was sworn in as president on Aug. 9, 1974, when Richard M. Nixon resigned as a result of the Watergate scandal.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~```

FUS1ON
12-27-2006, 06:21 PM
That is too bad, may he R.I.P.

Sirc
12-27-2006, 06:55 PM
RIP Mr. President

here's a little trivia I never thought about...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
Ford was the only occupant of the White House never elected either to the presidency or the vice presidency.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~```

I didn't know that. Good info. :thumbs:

(yes, I'm a politically challenged person)

TheMaster
12-29-2006, 05:02 PM
It's true. Ford was also interested only in seeking the Speaker of the House position, then he found himself as Vice-President. He didn't have much time in office either, but he certainly was a great man, and a great President. God rest his soul.