PDA

View Full Version : Beckham to LA??!

BobtheCkroach
01-12-2007, 02:34 PM
Now, I hate soccer as much as the next guy (in America). Normally, I wouldn't waste the time typing, but this is crazy.

World-famous beckham is moving to America to play for the LA Galaxy (of the MLS, I think). Apparently they're paying him roughly 250 million over 5 years! Do the math - that's roughly 1 mil a week.

Now I gots to ask this: No other sport has even come close to this. I believe in baseball this year it was a big deal that someone got signed for 150 over 6 years or something. Is the MLS super popular somewhere, b/c out here it's like it's a joke. How is a team in a league that has less popularity than the NFL, MLB, NBA, and NHL able to drop this kinda money on one guy???

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=399465&root=mls&cc=5901&cc=5901

Wiper
01-12-2007, 02:39 PM
Face it... soccer is the nr1 sport in the world. And with players like him I guess the wanted to make it big in the USA also. Besides the fact they don't buy a player... they buy a brand.

And in pc terms, in Europe he's an awesome player, In USA he's ultra-1337 :D

NastyDawg
01-12-2007, 02:43 PM
Soccer.....blah.... But good question Bob, someone is dropping some big jack to sign him. I'm wondering if a company or companies like Nike etc. are supplementing the team for part or most of his pay.

BobtheCkroach
01-12-2007, 02:59 PM
Soccer.....blah.... But good question Bob, someone is dropping some big jack to sign him. I'm wondering if a company or companies like Nike etc. are supplementing the team for part or most of his pay.

A large part of the 250 million is endorsements, yes.

Fifth
01-12-2007, 03:02 PM
Football rules. Beckham sucks since he moved from MU. :rolleyes:

I liked him so much but since money "got" him he started to suck. :rolleyes:

He used to rule when he was in Manchester , when Real got him he started to be a lame. :rolleyes:

BobtheCkroach
01-12-2007, 03:02 PM
Face it... soccer is the nr1 sport in the world. And with players like him I guess the wanted to make it big in the USA also. Besides the fact they don't buy a player... they buy a brand.

And in pc terms, in Europe he's an awesome player, In USA he's ultra-1337 :D

It might be the number 1 sport in the world, but it ranks no higher than 7th in America, following baseball, football, basketball, hockey, nascar, golf at the least. Probably more sports are ahead of it.

I honestly think this will end up killing the MLS, not saving it. I tell you what - now that Beckham is in America...I'm totally gonna ignore him just like I did before he moved here. I don't think America cares (other than he's making a ridiculous amount of $$) and I think it's just a 250 million dollar waste of money.

Here's hoping that it puts the MLS out of business! :thumbs:

Casanova
01-12-2007, 05:35 PM
Yeah football rulez.

But soccer sucks. :P

Wiper
01-12-2007, 07:04 PM
Get more the feeling that some are against soccer just because of being against it...

Believe a baseball guy who can hit a ball good and so dragging his over weighted body over the field to score a home run earns more.

hehe, it's just how you look against it :)

BobtheCkroach
01-12-2007, 07:12 PM
Get more the feeling that some are against soccer just because of being against it...

Believe a baseball guy who can hit a ball good and so dragging his over weighted body over the field to score a home run earns more.

hehe, it's just how you look against it :)

Huh? I didn't say that I thought a baseball player deserved 250 million over 5 years either. That's a ludicrous amount of money for anyone to make. There are baseball teams that don't pay that much for an entire team for 5 years. I'm willing to bet that Beckham makes close to, if not more than, the rest of his team combined.

That said, I can't stand soccer. It's completely and totally boring to me. The only time it's good for anything is Sunday afternoon when I'm trying to sleep. Works better than anything I know. My desire to see the MLS go away has nothing to do with beckham, and everything to do with hating soccer.

Casanova
01-12-2007, 11:53 PM
Soccer sucks, why? LACK OF ACTION. Usually the games end like 0-0, 1-0 or 1-1 etc, and there's pretty much nothing to see. :( (And players "filming" and whining after every tackle) There are exceptions too of course.

I love sports with a lot of action and intensity, that's why hockey is and will always be my favorite. :) Canal+ has started to show (american college) football too this year and I've watched some games... It's actually pretty nice too. :) Definitely more interesting that soccer. And of course I watch the Super Bowl every year. ;)

But it's just me. ;) This is a subject you can't argue about. Everyone has their own taste.

Wiper
01-13-2007, 12:19 AM
Soccer sucks, why? LACK OF ACTION. Usually the games end like 0-0, 1-0 or 1-1 etc, and there's pretty much nothing to see. :( (And players "filming" and whining after every tackle) There are exceptions too of course.

I love sports with a lot of action and intensity, that's why hockey is and will always be my favorite. :) Canal+ has started to show (american college) football too this year and I've watched some games... It's actually pretty nice too. :) Definitely more interesting that soccer. And of course I watch the Super Bowl every year. ;)

But it's just me. ;) This is a subject you can't argue about. Everyone has their own taste.

Nothing so exciting as worldcup-soccertournament when the whole country is upside down to support their team :cool:

Nick
01-13-2007, 12:39 AM
I respect soccer... at least they don't take a break every 30 seconds like in hockey :P

:D

Wiper
01-13-2007, 12:55 AM
this gives a lot of dutch people still shiverrrrs...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SaKRRd8MIg&mode=related&search=

That guy really ruined the game :down:

petter
01-13-2007, 01:31 AM
Nothing so exciting as worldcup-soccertournament when the whole country is upside down to support their team
is there any bigger sport event in the world than this? i think nothing comes even close.
after wc in japan manchester united bought a popular japaneese player(only popular in japan of course) for about 1 million €. he didnt even once got to play in a real match, he was just benched in every game, and after 6 months they got rid of him. why ? having him in MU 6 months made them sell t shirts in japan for over 5 million €.
250 millions for beckham ? - im sure they know exactely what they're doing

Seriously Deadly
01-13-2007, 01:34 AM
this gives a lot of dutch people still shiverrrrs...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SaKRRd8MIg&mode=related&search=

That guy really ruined the game :down:

i dont know much about soccer, but are those cards penaltys or something?

petter
01-13-2007, 02:11 AM
yellow card is a warning. red card means ur leaving the field.
yea that judge..:down:

Wiper
01-13-2007, 02:48 AM
i dont know much about soccer, but are those cards penaltys or something?

2x yellow = red (which means that you permanently removed from the match and at least 1 match more, depending on the "fault")

same for immediately red (tackle from behind, hands on purpose etc)

1x yellow in one match and 1 or 2 yellows in the up following matches (depends on the rules of that event) = at least 1 match not allowed to play (mostly up following match unless there is protest against it so it gets delayed)

This guy, pulled 16 yellow cards and 4 red ones (2x yellow) in one match (22 players without changes). And those with a yellow card think twice to make a move, that's why he ruined the whole thing :down:

Wiper
01-13-2007, 02:50 AM
@ Peter...

Yeah!!! looking forward to the European Championship :D

Nitro
01-13-2007, 04:36 AM
soccer's a sport? o.0

Dan2
01-13-2007, 07:17 AM
That's insane money. I think A-Rod makes $252 million over TEN years.

This reminds me of 1975 when Brazilian soccer star Pele signed a fat contract with the New York Cosmos. He was 36 at the time and trying to sell soccer to the USA. It didn't work. 32 years later I'm seeing the same story being played out again.:rolleyes:

NastyDawg
01-13-2007, 03:02 PM
soccer's a sport? o.0

Nitro always string the crap, got to love it.

Die Hard
01-13-2007, 03:29 PM
Beckham will earn loads more cash, retire and probably become the next Governor of California....

BobtheCkroach
01-15-2007, 02:53 PM
World Cup tournament is about the only time my interest in soccer sparks.

Of course, if they played Shaolin Soccer (http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1808405833/info), I'd buy season tickets :)

GREAT movie. Did you see his "Kung Fu Hustle?"

Both fantastic films!

BobtheCkroach
01-15-2007, 02:55 PM
That's insane money. I think A-Rod makes $252 million over TEN years.

This reminds me of 1975 when Brazilian soccer star Pele signed a fat contract with the New York Cosmos. He was 36 at the time and trying to sell soccer to the USA. It didn't work. 32 years later I'm seeing the same story being played out again.:rolleyes:

Yep. Guys on ESPN the other day said the exact same thing.

BobtheCkroach
01-15-2007, 02:57 PM
Nothing so exciting as worldcup-soccertournament when the whole country is upside down to support their team :cool:

You must be referring to a country other than America.

I will admit that I caught more of the games this time than any other. I watched the Zidane footage, which I'm gonna guess is about 6 seconds long.

That's 6 seconds more than I've watched of all the other World Cups in my life combined.