PDA

View Full Version : Wii Wii

ME BIGGD01
01-17-2007, 05:32 PM
Yes, Yes but no, no.

I was looking at these new consoles and find the Wii the best option considering all you get for the price of it. I would like to get this for my family because I see it as a more family oriented machine along with options for Internet. Considering I will keep my graphical games for my computer which is better powered than any console I would like to get the Wii for things like the Bowling and other simple games it comes with and maybe some educational games for my daughter. The one thing that I dislike about the other options is not only are they too expensive but it seems after spending 400 -600 for PS3 or xbox you have to spend a few more hundred on controllers and other stuff. I like the Xbox 260 for the media purpose but it pisses me off it does not come with the wireless adapter which to me is the only reason I did not get one and pathetic as it seems. To me I find that disgusting they charge 80 bucks for that device when it should come built in or atleast 20 dollars. Calculating all of what would be needed just seems to be way too expensive what you get.

Now the Wii comes with a built in wireless b/g and to me for 250 bucks along with coupons you can clip to save you more seems like a purchase well worth it. I know I need to buy more controllers and that seems ok to me considering the options. I have read all over the web the kind of entertainment this thing offers to people of all ages. Nothing like strapping those nun chucks to my daughter to wear her out so she will go to bed earlier.:)

So I plan to get one of these Wii units but the problem is they can not be found and if you do find them they are selling them with some stpid crooked package deal. I swear these people suck and deserve to go out of business for their way no matter how much they need to make money. It should be against the law that people get forced into this sort of situation.

So my questions I would like to ask to anyone who may have one of these Wii's here that can answer for me.

Does the Wii support video streaming from the web?
How much can I expect to pay for Wii and joysticks, nunchucks?
What exactly do I need for a complete setup for 2 players @ any time?
What is your best experience or what do you like most about this unit?
Can you check E-mail over the web with this thing?
Are their logon settings to the device so that when say I have my nieces and nephews over and I want them to only be able to play the games?
What kind of storage devices can be attached?

TIA

BobtheCkroach
01-17-2007, 06:40 PM
I can respond to some of these.

I'm looking forward to getting a wii when I can, probably in March.

A Wii Remote (commonly called a "WiiMote") will cost you $40. The nunchuk attachment will cost an extra $20.

The $250 will get you 1 Wiimote and 1 Nunchuk. So for a 2 person setup, you need the intial $250 + $60. Later, games might make other adapters that you'd plug in instead of a nunchuk. For instance, if "Guitar hero" came out, there might be a guitar adapter that you could use instead of the nunchuk. That would be a per-game issue, though,and you would realize this prior to purchasing the game, most likely. The system comes with "Wii Sports", a simplistic game that's more of a tech demo that lets you play boxing, baseball, tennis, bowling and something else. this will most likely be capable of entertaining your daughter for quite a while, but might get old to you fast. Another game would probably be recommended.

If you wish to utilize the "Virtual Console", which allows you to play and download games from older systems, you'll probably want the Classic Controller. Each of these will cost $20 as well.

Checking your email should not be a problem, as you'll be running a fairly standard, Opera browser. Any kind of usual webpage should load just fine. Streaming video I'm not sure about. That probably had to do with the options provided by the Opera browser. I seem to recall reading something about people being so happy that they could do YouTube from their Wii, though.

As for securing the system so that children can only access the games, I cannot attest to the exact abilities of the security features, but I do know that in general the security system is supposed to be fairly robust and contain and good amount of content/access control.

My experience physically has been limited so far, but pretty much flawless. I played "Excite Truck" for about 20 minutes at a local store. I felt that the controls were very intuitive, and taht it immediately felt immersive. I was playing instantly, along with my wife that hates games, and a friend that does only PC gaming. All 3 had a blast.

Dangerous Dan
01-17-2007, 07:43 PM
Does the Wii support video streaming from the web?
yes, but right now the browser is in beta form, so it's limited to embeded videos (like youtube), so quicktime and WMV files unfortunately don't work as of yet

How much can I expect to pay for Wii and joysticks, nunchucks?
nunhucks are 20 bucks, and the remotes are 40 bucks (but you only really need two nunchucks if you want to start off playing games liuke Wii sports, since very few games use four player mode with the full set-up

What exactly do I need for a complete setup for 2 players @ any time?
some games use the wii remote and nunchucks, and some only use the wii remotes without the nunchucks, it depends on the game. But if you want to ensure that you can have a fully functional two player game with Wii sports, you need two remotes and two nunchucks (the system comes with one of each). multiplayer games like Wario Ware on the other hand only require 2-4 remotes, without the nunchucks.

What is your best experience or what do you like most about this unit?
My favourite game is probably zelda, but besides that, my best experience is probably playing the golf game against my friend in Wii Sports, or Wario Ware's multiplayer mode (this is seriously the best party game out there)

Can you check E-mail over the web with this thing?
never tried, but i'd imagine you can, since you can log into most forums

Are their logon settings to the device so that when say I have my nieces and nephews over and I want them to only be able to play the games?
perental controls can disable the web browser

What kind of storage devices can be attached?
as of now, there are several unused USB ports on th eback, so people are speculating that you will eventually be able to attach an external hard drive in later software updates. But for now, it has a Flash Memory bay in the front (also has 512MB of internal flash memory for saves and game downloads)

in february Nintendo puts out another Wii Sports-like game called "Wii Play," and for regular price (49.99) it comes packaged with a Wii remote, so I'd look into that to save some money.

All in all, I'd recommend it. Don't expect it to replace a PC or an xbox 360, but it provides a nice fun distraction and change of pace.

games I'd recommend:
Excite Truck - at least a fun rental, it's a great arcade racing game at its core
Rayman Raving Rabbids - again, at least something worth renting, it's a compilation of short minigames centering around a a hilarious cast of crazy rabbits, it's sure to get aluagh out of your daughter
WarioWare: Smooth Moves - best try this one out before you buy it, but it's one of those games that really make the Wii worth having as a multiplayer game. It's much better than Mario Party (IMO), although the new mario party game comes out in march, so i can't comment on it's Wii counterpart

ME BIGGD01
01-17-2007, 07:44 PM
Do you know if it has the ability to play against other Wii owners? I mean say you and I want to go a few rounds in golf or boxing.

I have some old n64 joysticks so will these be good enough also for older games? I bought the N64 years ago for the WWF wrestling game which I thought was great and well worth the console then. This may be the case just for the generic game that comes with the Wii. As for getting bored, I honestly feel that If I can be entertained for atleast a month which I am sure will be longer, the couple of hundred dollars will be worth it. That's how I justify purchases as I do not go out with the friends to bars or such (Unless a a Lan Party which is already in my yearly budget ). If I go out with friends or family I always take the bill and pay it because that is the way I entertain or host. With a unit like the Wii, I see that it is well worth the money as far as entertainment goes for family and guests.

Now are you just waiting to get one in March because that's when they will be available or is a financial descision? I hope I do not have to wait until March to get one as the winter seems to be kicking in now.

Dangerous Dan
01-17-2007, 08:02 PM
Do you know if it has the ability to play against other Wii owners? I mean say you and I want to go a few rounds in golf or boxing.

I have some old n64 joysticks so will these be good enough also for older games? I bought the N64 years ago for the WWF wrestling game which I thought was great and well worth the console then. This may be the case just for the generic game that comes with the Wii. As for getting bored, I honestly feel that If I can be entertained for atleast a month which I am sure will be longer, the couple of hundred dollars will be worth it. That's how I justify purchases as I do not go out with the friends to bars or such (Unless a a Lan Party which is already in my yearly budget ). If I go out with friends or family I always take the bill and pay it because that is the way I entertain or host. With a unit like the Wii, I see that it is well worth the money as far as entertainment goes for family and guests.

Now are you just waiting to get one in March because that's when they will be available or is a financial descision? I hope I do not have to wait until March to get one as the winter seems to be kicking in now.

The N64 controlers won't work, but gamecube controlers will work for most (as of now, all) Virtual Console releases. I'd also not wait until March, because the internet browser will be free until april or may, after that it'll cost something like 5 bucks, so you'll save a few bucks.

for online multiplayer, as of right now there are no online games, which is really disapointing, because games like Wii Sports (especially golf), would be a blast to play online against one of your friends. Excite Truck would have also been a great online game becuase of it's fast pace and competative gameplay, but it too was cut. As of now the reason is that Nintendo just diidn't get the infrastructure up in time. They have promised that online games will be forthcoming (such as Super Smash brothers Brawl and Battalion Wars 2), but they have not given a real time frame. This is my only disapointment as of now, but I'm hopefull it'll see a great online line-up in the coming months.

BobtheCkroach
01-17-2007, 08:38 PM
There are rumors that adapters are coming out to allow you to hook up your NES,SNES and n64 controllers into the expansion port of the wiimote, but currently this is not the case.

Only time will tell with that one (I certainly hope so, though. it'd be really cool to play NES games on a classic controller)

SoulReaver
01-17-2007, 09:10 PM
Rayman wasn't much fun for my two little sisters, who are 9 and 4. They enjoy Excite Truck much more.

SALvation
01-18-2007, 04:49 AM
FYI - Circuit City, Best Buy, and Target will all have the Wii in their ad this coming Sunday with minimum quantities guaranteed in store.

ME BIGGD01
01-18-2007, 08:30 AM
That's good news because I just found this

http://www.gamemecca.net/forums/showthread.php?p=743904#post743904

BobtheCkroach
01-18-2007, 02:31 PM
FYI - Circuit City, Best Buy, and Target will all have the Wii in their ad this coming Sunday with minimum quantities guaranteed in store.

DANGIT! Why on the week that bills go out??!!!

NastyDawg
01-18-2007, 03:33 PM
That's good news because I just found this

http://www.gamemecca.net/forums/showthread.php?p=743904#post743904

Cool, BiGG thanks for the info!

Gun Element
01-23-2007, 06:08 AM
I got the wii and I'd say it's the best console i have ever owned. The only question that hasn't been throughly answered was the email.

Yes, I check my email often on the wii :)

Games I would recommend are
1) Trauma Center Second Opinion
2) Super Swing Golf (my current fav)
3) Zelda.. of course

some of the other games like red steel, farcry, elebits, etc. are worth renting to see if they suit your taste. But out of all the games I have played, I wasn't disappointed.

ME BIGGD01
01-23-2007, 11:52 AM
Thanks bud, I will be picking it definetly. :thumbs:

.:Šievad°
01-23-2007, 06:51 PM
some one in america died, for a contest to get wii. 'hold your wee for wii'

i wont get the console, the games that ive seen dont attract me and i like the ps2/3 gamejoysticks much better, rather then sweeping my arms around just to play tennis or strike some one with a sword @ zelda.

NastyDawg
01-23-2007, 09:27 PM
some one in america died, for a contest to get wii. 'hold your wee for wii'.

Yep sure did

http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/archives/2007/01/woman_dies_after_holding_wee_for_nintendo_wii_radi o_contest/

.::Exodus Matrix::.
01-27-2007, 12:40 AM
I want a Wii badly, hehe. Here in UK are out of stock everywhere, even if some come in stock there gone in about 2 hours, so hopefully i can get one soon because they look fun, lets hope the TV lasts :D.

Silverfox
01-27-2007, 11:11 AM
Hiya Son.. Good to see you here.