PDA

View Full Version : This is a General Call to Arms

Caged Anger
03-27-2007, 03:46 PM
Gamemecca, not 1 day has passed since the Gamemecca wiki was posted and already 1/2 of it has been hacked out fo it and it is now being threatened with deletion. Please defend your forum's history and demand it be returned to us!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:Articles_for_deletion/Gamemecca

Guy Threatening Deletion and Toaster of The Clan Section
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Veinor

Pure_Evil
03-27-2007, 04:00 PM
bummer :down:

well, look at the bright side, at least our members lists have been updated.

If you just would've added Rose's join date, none of this would've happened.....

Caged Anger
03-27-2007, 04:52 PM
alright, I backed up the creation date with the statistics site BigBoard
In order for the page to remain online, I need help finding more 3rd party sources of GM statistics. We have 5 days to appease the wiki gods who seem to be on a power rampage since they got into trouble for letting there be bad postings

FUS1ON
03-27-2007, 05:01 PM
Yeah that sucks. I've never really looking into the stats, but Big Boards is the only one I know of.

ME BIGGD01
03-27-2007, 05:21 PM
I don't get it, what's the problem. Could you explain it?

I do not understand what they mean by encylopedia considering they should not be considered a source for anything educational that matters. I think or thought they were excluded from every University becuase the way they were and not being accurate. What the hell is the problem?

CAge, you spent a lot of time on this and you are due the credit. I recall the vote and voted against it. To be honest I think you did a great job on the research etc but I am curious do you honestly feel it was worth it. That is what really matters because I myself never use that site or bother. How many members actually do or did before you started the project? A better question, in 1 month how many people will go back to it. I am not putting down anything you did and I am sure everyone is grateful but would what you did be a better off in a section at GameMecca? Maybe I just dont trully understand it and ignorant to the purpose of it all but I just hope you get out of it all you expect.

I will help you anyway I can but my way is more of lets kick the guys ass who is bothering you. Lets hack his work is my suggestion. Well that's just me.

Caged Anger
03-27-2007, 05:30 PM
Biggs, you voted against it, you are obligated to do absolutely nothing.

That said, what you said means a lot :) Thx bud, but no hacking or beatings will be necessary.

People, lets beat this prick at his own game. All we need to get this on there is 3rd party sources to backup the information. I've already linked to BigBoard and wanted to get assistance from Croteam (although I've been told they don't think all that highly of anything clan related :D)

Delete The purpose of Gamemecca is not to inform Gamemeccans about it; if you want to do that, I suggest you create your own wiki or make an 'about us' page or something. Veinor (talk to me) 15:46, 27 March 2007 (UTC)
Delete based on comments above, Caged seems to have severe misconceptions about the purpose of Wikipedia and its articles. Andrew Lenahan - Starblind 16:45, 27 March 2007 (UTC)

These admins are tryin to tear me a new one and I am not taking kindly to their opening attempt at a crushing blow. Biggs, this place means a great deal to me and as such I will fight for it, whether nor not anyone else wants to. This will nto be Retaking Gamemecca incident, I have finished this and I'll be damned if I let this pitiful excuse of a moderator destroy my work. It may very well be a boat headed to the bottom of the net, but I hear there are sheep at the bottom :D, why not join me for the ride?

Included below is a copy of the last update of the wiki before it was torched. If anyone can find some sites to substantiate the statements, feel free to pass them along.

Nitro
03-27-2007, 05:33 PM
Told you it was a bad idea...

Goober
03-27-2007, 05:53 PM
That sucks Caged. Makes me wonder what you are going to tell the teacher.
Something like this? "Uhmmm teacher.....the internet ate my homework!"

.:Šievad°
03-27-2007, 06:11 PM
there is loads of crap that u can find on wiki, even a nub fishing guide for wow.
So what is it that makes a leading gamecommuty soo useless that it then gets deleted??
Every bit of it is worth to history, there has been put up some hard work and over 5 years of dedicated gaming.
i dont see why an ass like that can just say that its bullshit.

Caged Anger
03-27-2007, 06:12 PM
rofl, I have no faith in Wikipedia anymore, especially after a response like this guy gave:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IGN

If you allow that wiki to exist then why not let Gamemecca exist as well.

The existence of other pages is not a valid argument for keeping pages. Besides, I don't think a site with millions of registered users compares to one with 2k very well. Veinor (talk to me) 16:06, 27 March 2007 (UTC)

Death Engineer
03-27-2007, 08:36 PM
Is there anything else clan related on wikipedia? I think they're going to have a hard time having stuff like that in there. See the following link to Clans (Computer Gaming) and note that they make no specific references to any particular clan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clan_%28computer_gaming%29

NastyDawg
03-27-2007, 09:05 PM
What a joke these yahoo's are over there.

Caged Anger
03-27-2007, 09:08 PM
I never realized how stuck up and rude the staff of Wikipedia is...

"Delete as it fails WP:WEB. I do have a novel idea for the contributor, however - if Gamemecca needs a page devoted to the history of the website, how about a history page on the website? It makes far more sense than a Wikipedia article. Arkyan • (talk) 18:32, 27 March 2007 (UTC)"

Nitro
03-27-2007, 09:41 PM
Wikipedia is still the greatest website ever, minus a few bad apples, but every big company has those.

Death Engineer
03-27-2007, 10:36 PM
I applaud Caged's efforts, but I think you're trying to shove a square peg into a round hole. They have fairly clear guidelines for what constitutes a valid wiki article. If they were not to enforce these guidelines, the whole site would go to hell in a handbasket faster than you can sneeze. If you really want to put gamemecca on wikipedia, then you're going to have to do it in an encyclopedia style. I think that is what they are getting at.

Gun Element
03-27-2007, 10:39 PM
This is very tragic to hear since you tried hard to do well on this project and have it fail as soon as you put it up. Seems like a lost cause to fight against them if they continue to be that upset about it, as DE was saying (sorta not really), your adding charcoal to the bbq.

FUS1ON
03-27-2007, 11:03 PM
I can see their point and agree with DE's post.

Tell you what Caged, I created a section just for a thread like yours. I've already made you a mod for the section and i've not done it yet, but I will be setting the permissions so that you are the only one allowed to post in there for the time being. I'll have to setup a usergroup and put you in it along with some bigshot title. ;)

If someone wants to submit something, they can submit it to you and please by all means post what you had written up on Wiki in there.

Here is a link to the section, it's located up on top of the main forum page.
http://www.gamemecca.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=309