PDA

View Full Version : Multiple dedicated servers on one machine?

scrAtch
04-04-2007, 01:18 PM
Hi all.
I'm trying to work out if we can run multiple SS:SE dedicated servers simultaneously on one box.

I'm guessing if it possible we would have to assign a different port for each, but if anyone has any tips that would be appreciated.
Cheers
sraAtch

scrAtch
04-04-2007, 02:50 PM
all depends on your machine and your connection,but if both are good then you can,you will need to change port numbers in the servers .ini file, example- server 1 use port 25600 and server two use port 25620,when you forward ports in your router you will need to forward 25600 - 25601 udp for server 1 and forward ports 25620 - 25621 udp for server 2:thumbs:Hi Huggy, thanks for the info.

We currently run one dedicated server on a good machine in our rack (dual Xeon 3Ghz/4GB RAM) and the network connection is pretty good (16Mbps down and 1Mbps up), but it carries quite a lot of traffic from other servers too so can be peaky. If we can segregate the WAN traffic we might be able to dedicate a fixed bandwidth to it, but we might have to consider running it on one of our colo boxes instead just purely due to the share of network traffic.

So assuming we assign a different port for each server, do we need to install SS:SE multiple times to different directories in order to run multiple threads at the same time?
scrAtch

Die Hard
04-04-2007, 02:52 PM
Your servers rock guys, so the more the merrier :thumbs:

scrAtch
04-04-2007, 02:58 PM
Your servers rock guys, so the more the merrier :thumbs:Thanks DH. We would genuinely, if we can, run a few different maps simultaneously (subject to what people would like to play), with ammo, serious difficulty, etc. just as somewhere for folks to hang out. Where possible we will try to admin and kick/ban those who ruin the fun, but without being too over the top. Just trying to get the balance right. Trouble is there's no point if the servers don't perform ok.
scrAtch

scrAtch
04-04-2007, 03:15 PM
N1 Huggy. I'll pass these details on and see if we can get this to work. I might PM you if not. Much appreciated!

Die Hard
04-04-2007, 03:19 PM
Hugster is teh man :jammin:

Casanova
04-05-2007, 04:22 PM
try this paul,when you join redrum server use lan rather than dsl:thumbs: i tried it and was getting 80 ping with no spikes:) think its something to do with me being with the same provider(bulldog dsl),i am no longer with bulldog so now i get spikes if i use lan intead of dsl:down:
With LAN settings prediction is disabled, didn't that have any effect? I always have very jerky (slow) moment if I disable prediction... Even on Finnish servers.

Die Hard
04-06-2007, 10:27 AM
tried it and it wouldn't connect on LAN? :(

Casanova
04-06-2007, 03:44 PM
correct cas:thumbs: its allways the same:thumbs: but when i was with bulldog and connecting to redrums bulldog server it rocked,no jerks no lag no spikes:thumbs: was like playing on my own server:thumbs:
Damn then the server must be pretty close to you. :D Or great connection...

I can only use the LAN settings on my bro's server... sometimes it sucks on Finnish server, cause you have 40-50 ping (1.05) and huge "low ping lag"... Then when you switch to LAN settings the lag is gone but movements are slow.. :(

Finnish Guy
04-06-2007, 04:53 PM
Damn then the server must be pretty close to you. :D Or great connection...

I can only use the LAN settings on my bro's server... sometimes it sucks on Finnish server, cause you have 40-50 ping (1.05) and huge "low ping lag"... Then when you switch to LAN settings the lag is gone but movements are slow.. :(

same here:mad:

Casanova
04-06-2007, 05:49 PM
same here:mad:
Yeah.. :(

Then you have to use those 56k settings to force the ping to be bigger than 50..

Finnish Guy
04-06-2007, 07:21 PM
100+ on lan :worldssma