PDA

View Full Version : Help, ZA blocking WLM

Caged Anger
04-05-2007, 11:01 PM
I installed the latest version of Zone Alarm on both my laptop and my desktop....and windows live messenger has ceased connecting to the service ever since. I've dug up a few solutions on the net, but they don't really make sense to me. I dunno if anyone else is hitting this problem, but some advice and clarification fo how to fix this would be great.

(kindly don't be an ass and just say uninstall)

Bingo
04-05-2007, 11:52 PM
If you look in the toolbar, you should see a Zone Alarm icon down in the lower right.

Click on that to bring up the zone alarm panel.

Click on 'Program Control' and scroll through the list until you see the program you want.

Look in the colums where the check marks and x's and ? are. Left-click and choose to allow the program for all 4 colums.

That SHOULD let it through. That works for my version - the free one.

B

EXEcution
04-05-2007, 11:57 PM
http://www.messenger.mattchan.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=13&Itemid=2

This seems like the best solution now. It's complex but you are a CIS major and this is the kind of stuff you will have to deal with so don't worry just make a restore point if anything goes wrong. Otherwise contact ZA customer support or e-mail them or wait for a patch to come out.

Caged Anger
04-06-2007, 01:23 AM
aight, first off both messenger and livecall have full permission in ZA, that isn't the problem.

second, i went through and removed the code he said to....too bad it still didn't work. Thx though exe, that was the site i was going to try :)

The part that gets me is that its ONLY affecting msn, aim and xfire work fine

Nitro
04-06-2007, 02:47 AM
other option: dont use WLM

Caged Anger
04-06-2007, 02:51 AM
(kindly don't be an ass and just say uninstall)

figures that nitro would miss this line and come up with something just as useless

Grimmy
04-06-2007, 04:49 AM
I take it you are behind a router of some sort?

I had issues a while after I had my router, and ZA installed. Eventually the 2 firewalls didn't like each other and I couldn't connect to the net, but I could chat on msn messenger. I uninstalled ZA and all my problems went away.

Just something to think about. If possible, bypass your router on one machine and see if your programs work. Then it's up to you what you want to do. :)

Caged Anger
04-06-2007, 01:45 PM
i'm behind a school net :D

never had any trouble though until i installed the latest version of zone alarm. Maybe a new network policy was put in place, but i find it too coincidental that i installed zone alarm on my laptop, WLM stops working but desktop continues fine, and then i install on desktop and wlm bites it too

------------
Update:
Completely removed both messenger and zone alarm from desktop including all subfolders and registry keys (man did those 2 leave a bunch of crap behind). Still no luck though, therefore i no longer consider this a problem with my computer but a problem with my school's net. I'll go see IT about it today.