PDA

View Full Version : The Sparring Begins

Caged Anger
04-09-2007, 03:35 PM
http://computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyName=cybercrime_and_hacking&articleId=9015922&taxonomyId=82&intsrc=kc_top

Wonder who will come out on top of this. I'm baking on the hackers myself as the more the companies try to lock down their software, the more interesting and perplexing the challenge.

Sirc
04-09-2007, 04:09 PM
How do these keys work exactly? I take it that two keys are required (one on the disk and one in the software) to be able to read the disk's content. How can they revoke a key? Is internet access required each time the disk contents are accessed?

Anyway, I think anything software-based can be cracked and/or copied. Vista has already been cracked. If Microsoft can't do it with it's nearly limitless resources then what makes any other company think they can?

EXEcution
04-09-2007, 06:20 PM
How do these keys work exactly?
"The device key is used in conjunction with individual keys on each movie title to decrypt the data on the disc."

AND

"The architects of AACS [...]built into the system several different types of keys and the ability to change keys whenever attacks were successful. In this way they can re-establish the security of the system once details of an attack are public."

I think that sums it up pretty nicely. I don't have much background on software encryption but like you said virtually anything with bits and bytes can be cracked. All a hacker needs is patience and time.

FUS1ON
04-09-2007, 09:38 PM
Anyway, I think anything software-based can be cracked and/or copied. Vista has already been cracked. If Microsoft can't do it with it's nearly limitless resources then what makes any other company think they can?

Yep same here. If there is a will, the hackers will find a way.