PDA

View Full Version : Help, won't POST

Grimmy
04-10-2007, 07:49 AM
I just had my old main rig fired up the other day and was gaming with it. Yesterday I went to fire it up and I get an error saying that there was no keyboard present. I have a 4 port KVM switch, and I had another rig running and the keyboard worked fine.

Well tonight I dug out another keyboard and plugged it in, but when I turn it on, the screen is just black, and I don't hear the one beep like I used to, and the rig just sits there. The HD light lights up for a bit, and then goes out.

I have no idea where to start on this. Here is the info:

Asus A7N8X Deluxe mobo
AMD 2800+ proc
1G Corsair RAM
Thermaletake PS (can't remember the wattage, it's like 450 or slightly higher)
ATI X1600Pro 256M vid card.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Caged Anger
04-10-2007, 12:26 PM
how long has it been since you last used this machine?

FUS1ON
04-10-2007, 03:13 PM
Grims this might be overkill but you could try shorting the bios reset pins to reset it to see if that helps. Keep in mind you will lose all the bios settings and have to reset them.

Grimmy
04-10-2007, 05:32 PM
how long has it been since you last used this machine?

I used this machine like 2 days ago, on sunday. Went to use it again sunday night and that's when it started.

Sho, I actually tried that last night, and it didn't change anything. I am starting to think the proc might have taken a dump. :bawling:

ME BIGGD01
04-10-2007, 09:04 PM
Grimmy

take the cmos battery out and make sure the unit is unplugged when doing so. Now reset jumper to bios with battery out.

take the memory out of the system and make sure all cards are snug in their slots. turn system on with no memory installed and see if you hear any beeps. put memory back in and try to boot her up.

If still does not work, sounds like power supply.

Grimmy
04-11-2007, 08:51 AM
Grimmy

take the cmos battery out and make sure the unit is unplugged when doing so. Now reset jumper to bios with battery out.

take the memory out of the system and make sure all cards are snug in their slots. turn system on with no memory installed and see if you hear any beeps. put memory back in and try to boot her up.

If still does not work, sounds like power supply.

KK, I took the cmos battery out, moved the jumper over, couted to 20, put jumper back where it was, put batter back in, plugged the rig in, same thing, no post.

I then removed the RAM (2 sticks, 1G total) and tried again, no post. Put ram back in, same thing.

I took one of my other rigs, unplugged the powersupply connector, and plugged it into the mobo that's having the problems, and still nothing. I didn't pull the other powersupply out, for I'd have to pull the mobo out cause the fan and heatsink that's on that unit is freaking HUGE!

I am not sure if I had another proc to test in it or not. I will dig around and see if my roommate scrapped his old HP with an AMD 2400+ out.

Think the proc finally bit it?

Grimmy
04-11-2007, 09:02 AM
I do have a amd 2400 out of a HP machine. The mobo went out I am sure, it was hit by lightning. I haven't tested to make sure the proc is good though.

If ya think I should try the other proc I will. Just don't want to have to pull everything apart if there might be something else I could try.

Grimmy
04-12-2007, 08:29 AM
Ok, tonight I pulled out the amd 2800 and put in a 2400, same exact thing. QQ!!