PDA

View Full Version : Updates Between 7/28 and 8/6

BobtheCkroach
08-06-2007, 02:52 PM
Wow! What a crazy week in PC gaming while I was on vacation! Between BlizzCon and QuakeCon, news was flying. Let's review, quickly.

WoW Expansion: the next expansion, Wrath of the Lich King, was announced at BlizzCon. http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/wrath/

WoW Movie details announced: The movie was announced a while back, but details are now surfacing. The movie will have a budget of over 100 million. It will be from the perspective of an Alliance member, and take place about a year before the beginning of WoW. It will not be from a questing/adventure perspective but rather all out war. They'll distinguish it by making it about clashing cultures (orc vs human, etc) rather than good versus evil.

Starcraft 2 Terrans are here!: They've released some Terran details for SC2. They can be found @ www.starcraft2.com

ID announces Rage: Id announces the new game that will take advantage of their new engine: Rage. http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=169536

Id Titles available on Steam: Most id titles are now available via steam. This includes newer titles, such as Doom 3, Quake 4 and Return To Castle Wolfenstein, but perhaps more exciting is the fact that vintage games are available, and cheap. Doom 1 and 2, all the Quakes...even the classic Wolfenstein and Commander Keen!

Id Announces Quake Zero: Id announced that it will be experimenting with web-browser based gaming. Quake Zero will be played through your web browser, meaning you shouldn't have to download anything to play, and the goal is to make it just as playable as Quake 3, which it is a redo of. I myself don't like Quake 3, but the idea that games could become available like this w/o requiring me to download anything is teh sexah. It will be free, but will have advertising.

Bingo
08-06-2007, 04:35 PM
Holy crap! A buncha stuff. THanks a ton for that Bob.

Though I admit I'm really hating that steam appears to have really caught on. I can't stand that system. :)

B

BobtheCkroach
08-06-2007, 05:06 PM
Holy crap! A buncha stuff. THanks a ton for that Bob.

Though I admit I'm really hating that steam appears to have really caught on. I can't stand that system. :)

B

I didn't like it at all when I started, but the more I use it, the more I like it for certain things.

For downloading older things like this, I love it. For modern stuff, I still prefer boxes.

I will say, however, that if you have a boxed product that is also on steam, you can register your boxed copy so that steam knows you have it...that way down the road, should you lose your copy or whatever, you can still just download steam and download your game, w/o having to rebuy the game.

Caged Anger
08-06-2007, 05:33 PM
Like how they are still making it easy to find their older stuff to play with

FUS1ON
08-06-2007, 10:43 PM
Quake Zero and playing it in your browser sounds interesting

Bingo
08-06-2007, 10:51 PM
My biggest issue with Steam is that I have to have an active internet connection just to play a game I've already bought or downloaded unless I go through all sorts of hoops to screw the system up until it stops trying.

MassacreAL
08-07-2007, 03:44 PM
i think steam is a step in right direction. it reminds me how downloading mp3s evolved. drm(bleh) at first, and lately ive heard you can buy somewhere on the internet normal mp3s. w/ downloading games from the internet prices of games would significantly drop(maybe 50%), and that would be good news