PDA

View Full Version : Just Got Vista And Problems....

Perfect aim
09-14-2007, 07:45 PM
hello,

Yesterday i upgraged my computer from XP to VISTA. After the upgrade completed i tried out serious sam. It goes like slow motion in all servers EVEN in my own server. PLUS in noobzland i ALWAYS had 250 or above but after upgrading to vista now i have 80-120 WTF is happend? AND i always have 100 ping or else in anyone other server but slow motion is always still there.

So can anyone tell me wat i have to do to stop my game from going slo motion ( i think its due with something of the graphics display or something).

thanxs in advance.

Perfect aim
09-14-2007, 07:57 PM
come on, like 10 views not 1 reply. i tried to search this but couldn't find any answers so u guys are like my last hope

The Priest
09-14-2007, 08:05 PM
Not everyone knows about this give it time you will get a answer:thumbs:

BlackWolf
09-14-2007, 08:06 PM
U got the latest dx versions installed both 10 and 9 ?

wrong section u posted in also :)

Perfect aim
09-14-2007, 08:20 PM
what are the specs of your pc? gpu/ram/cpu ect

okay here are my specs:

Product Short Spec:
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 3800+ (2.4 GHz)
RAM installed: 1 GB DDR SDRAM
Hard drive: 200 GB Standard
OS provided: Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005

Perfect aim
09-14-2007, 08:22 PM
and i don't know where to find the grpahics card...can u plz tel me so i can post thanxs huggy

Mad Fox
09-14-2007, 08:27 PM
why isnt this in the software forum... def not off topic?

Devil
09-14-2007, 08:51 PM
okay here are my specs:

OS provided: Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005

You say Vista?:dunno:

Perfect aim
09-14-2007, 08:58 PM
You say Vista?:dunno:

oops forgot lol. Well i used to have XP until yesterday when i upgraged to VISTA home premium.

Wiper
09-14-2007, 09:41 PM
Hehe, I'll wait till SP7 and then I might consider to step over on Vista :D

FUS1ON
09-14-2007, 09:41 PM
why isnt this in the software forum... def not off topic?

Exactly

ME BIGGD01
09-14-2007, 09:53 PM
please tell me more about system

What chipset do you have? Nvidia or ATI or maybe Via?

What Video card are you using?

You say OS provided so I must ask is this an oem machine such as HP or dell or what ever?

If so what model?

Did you run the compatibility test before upgrade? Athlon64 3800 is single core if its 2400mhz. That should be fine to run vista but the ram at 1 ghz is a bit low for vista. Still not the problem and would guarantee you are running wrong or basic windows drivers.

Does your computer recognize a network or can you get on the web? If so youneed to do all the updates and download the performance package.

Sam may need to run in compatibility mode as it run in dx 7 or 8 which vista does not like much. Also change your settings in sam to use dx instead of opengl which just dont do well in vista.

Perfect aim
09-14-2007, 10:01 PM
goto control panel/system/device manager/display adaptor:thumbs: but what ever it is update the driver and make sure you have all the updates for vista too:thumbs: then in your serious sam menu screen goto options/video and make sure you are running in direct x,nvidia and ati cards will not work right in opengl with vista:thumbs: not sure if this is a vista problem or just the fact that the new drivers suck with opengl,in the past sam ran better in opengl but direct x works better for me these days:thumbs:
also turn of the stupid sidebar thing,it taxes Resources:thumbs:

YOOOO man thanxs but all my drivers are up to date. So i will download the other updates for VISTA. THANXS man really appreciate ur help and others :)

Perfect aim
09-14-2007, 10:04 PM
please tell me more about system

What chipset do you have? Nvidia or ATI or maybe Via?

What Video card are you using?

You say OS provided so I must ask is this an oem machine such as HP or dell or what ever?

If so what model?

Did you run the compatibility test before upgrade? Athlon64 3800 is single core if its 2400mhz. That should be fine to run vista but the ram at 1 ghz is a bit low for vista. Still not the problem and would guarantee you are running wrong or basic windows drivers.

Does your computer recognize a network or can you get on the web? If so youneed to do all the updates and download the performance package.

Sam may need to run in compatibility mode as it run in dx 7 or 8 which vista does not like much. Also change your settings in sam to use dx instead of opengl which just dont do well in vista.

Okay i have a NVIDIA 6150 which worked REALLY good in XP no problems at all. And i have a hp the model is: HP pavilion a1410n. YES i ran the compatibility test and it said windows vista home premium is right of my computer. YEs my computer recognizes a network and i can go online. ALSO where do i download the performance package?

also how do u make ss run on dx 8?

thanxs dude and all the others for ur help

ME BIGGD01
09-14-2007, 10:12 PM
Yes the 6150 should run sam ok but in vista and the shared memory you are going to run low on memory eventually. To be honest you should of saved and not purchased vista with that system but what's done is done.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=2093&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=1841799&lang=en

these are the 32bit vista drivers for your machine. Disable virus software during install. If I was you I would download all of them into a folder all at once before installing any.

Perfect aim
09-14-2007, 11:40 PM
I DID EVERYTHING.

I updated my drivers, windows, and even got some other updates off of micorsoft website. I stopped many programs from starting up EVEN changed my them to windows classic to make my computer faster. Iv reinstalled sam so i lost all of my levels, videos, screenshots ext. I tried to search websites and read forums for hours BUT nothing is working sam is still running very slow in every server (including mine). I am out of ideas guys so if u have any idea, like i mean any even like restarting ur computer PLEASE TELL ME. Serious sam is the only game i enjoy to play and without it then how can i be pure aim :D

Caged Anger
09-15-2007, 02:31 AM
yooooohoooooo

:)

hehe, man you guys overthought this one ;)

I have experienced the same trouble in XP and the solution was to right click the executable, go to compatability, and select a lower version of windows. If i am correct, I believe those lovely gents over at microshit continued this feature in vista :thumbs:

ME BIGGD01
09-15-2007, 07:22 PM
I DID EVERYTHING.

I updated my drivers, windows, and even got some other updates off of micorsoft website. I stopped many programs from starting up EVEN changed my them to windows classic to make my computer faster. Iv reinstalled sam so i lost all of my levels, videos, screenshots ext. I tried to search websites and read forums for hours BUT nothing is working sam is still running very slow in every server (including mine). I am out of ideas guys so if u have any idea, like i mean any even like restarting ur computer PLEASE TELL ME. Serious sam is the only game i enjoy to play and without it then how can i be pure aim :D

Ok if this problem still occurs even after you switched to direct x instead of opengl, I am going to say your video card may be the major problem. Really it is a weak card that is ok for basic things but on top of vista its being used up more. You may want to try to bump up the memory usage for the card if you can in bios. It should be under shared memory. Honestly with that system you should not have got vista. If Sam is what you play you may look for a low priced dx10 card for under a hundred bucks. It will play sam and not use your low amount of ram you have. You can always deregister vista and do a reinstall of the operating system that came with the hp unit.

Good luck.

Perfect aim
09-15-2007, 09:21 PM
Ok if this problem still occurs even after you switched to direct x instead of opengl, I am going to say your video card may be the major problem. Really it is a weak card that is ok for basic things but on top of vista its being used up more. You may want to try to bump up the memory usage for the card if you can in bios. It should be under shared memory. Honestly with that system you should not have got vista. If Sam is what you play you may look for a low priced dx10 card for under a hundred bucks. It will play sam and not use your low amount of ram you have. You can always deregister vista and do a reinstall of the operating system that came with the hp unit.

Good luck.

nope the video card is not the problem...wat i figured out so far from reading alot is this:

VISTA takes up alot of memory about 500-600 for sure to run it. So then u are left with about 400 or so for things tat u want to do like msn, internet, gaming, emialing...and this is not enough. So the problem is tat i don't have enought memory. Also becuase when i used to start up ss in XP my cpu never went above like 40% but now in Vista its always at 100%. I even tried to get rid of many many programs but still damn 100%.
So i read tat if u use a regular flash usb drive in a system with vista than it can use it has extra memory to run more applications and make them go faster. So i will try this idea out and if it doesn't work then well.......SCREW VISTA>

Perfect aim
09-15-2007, 11:49 PM
your problem is down to a crap pc,dont blame vista just cos your nail of a pc cant run it;)

damn i spend over 1200 bucks on this pc thinking i wouldn't need to upgrade it any at all :( wat a waste of money

ME BIGGD01
09-16-2007, 12:08 AM
damn i spend over 1200 bucks on this pc thinking i wouldn't need to upgrade it any at all :( wat a waste of money

thats expensive for that system.

As far as your memory, look at it again and then minus the amount of ram being used with your onboard video. I am also curious if the os is legit? This could be a problem.

I would just get a new vga or just reinstall the xp media center os back on.

Wiper
09-16-2007, 12:17 AM

If you bought it 2 years ago it's logical. I stopped spending an extra 100 "bucks" cuz of a cpu which has 100 mhz extra CPU speed. You can spend 1200 bucks for a great pc for that moment or spend 600 on a pc that is (just check it on some pc-building site) slightly slower than the 1337 machine.

Btw, is it true that you can install Visa only on 1 pc?

Devil
09-16-2007, 07:40 AM
Sorry :o :o :o

Stifmeister GZ-24:

Although SS lagged like hell when I first opened it (even the menus)... But I was prepared for this, thanks to Finnish Guy. SS:SE is so old game that it doesn't support duel core processors. So you have to turn either CPU0 or CPU1 off.

http://forums.seriouszone.com/showthread.php?t=47893&highlight=dual+core

ME BIGGD01
09-16-2007, 04:08 PM
Sorry :o :o :o

Stifmeister GZ-24:

Although SS lagged like hell when I first opened it (even the menus)... But I was prepared for this, thanks to Finnish Guy. SS:SE is so old game that it doesn't support duel core processors. So you have to turn either CPU0 or CPU1 off.

http://forums.seriouszone.com/showthread.php?t=47893&highlight=dual+core

He is not running duel core. :rolleyes:

Devil
09-16-2007, 04:29 PM
I need glasses too http://www.smilies.4-user.de/include/Tiere/smilie_tier_94.gif http://www.smilies.4-user.de/include/Grosse/smilie_gr_146.gif

Goober
09-16-2007, 05:05 PM
I am running this processor (1.6 GHz AMD Turion™ 64 X2 Dual-Core Mobile Technology TL-52) in my laptop with Vista Home Premium and 2gb memory and it runs Serious Sam just fine.

Perfect aim
09-16-2007, 07:17 PM
okay so if i buy some more memory will my computer like run faster? So if it runs faster than serous sam will run faster right guys?

sorry i don't know much about pc's.

Goober
09-16-2007, 11:58 PM
Try changing back to an earlier nVidia Graphics driver. I remember that when my HP laptop (which has automatic updates for everything) updated my graphics driver UT2004 went to stuttering and ran like crap (sam did also I think) I went to a previous driver and that fixed the problem. When I fire up my laptop tommorrow I will see what version of the nvidia graphics driver I am running in Vista.

Perfect aim
09-17-2007, 01:56 AM
Try changing back to an earlier nVidia Graphics driver. I remember that when my HP laptop (which has automatic updates for everything) updated my graphics driver UT2004 went to stuttering and ran like crap (sam did also I think) I went to a previous driver and that fixed the problem. When I fire up my laptop tommorrow I will see what version of the nvidia graphics driver I am running in Vista.

nice thanxs alot man really appreciate the help and from all the others thanxs. Hope this works

ALSO when i put in my serious sam CD and i start up ss, after i close it a window pops up saying that serious sam did not install right and tat click here to reinstall using Vista compatible settings. But when i click it nothing happens it just opens up the main ss window, the one with play, install,reinstall, install direct x, open GL and other menu options. Wat do i do so it installs right?

Caged Anger
09-17-2007, 02:57 AM
nice thanxs alot man really appreciate the help and from all the others thanxs. Hope this works

ALSO when i put in my serious sam CD and i start up ss, after i close it a window pops up saying that serious sam did not install right and tat click here to reinstall using Vista compatible settings. But when i click it nothing happens it just opens up the main ss window, the one with play, install,reinstall, install direct x, open GL and other menu options. Wat do i do so it installs right?

so....anybody think Croteam will be coming out with a patch :D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :funny:

Goober
09-17-2007, 10:17 AM
I have a GeForce Go 7600 in my laptop and the driver version is 7.15.11.5824
also called 158.24

If that doesn't work then go to this page and try what it says
Vista HOTFIX (http://www.nvidia.com/object/windows_vista_hotfixes.html)

Perfect aim
09-17-2007, 07:47 PM
damn i downloaded all of the updates but all exept one give me the error tat the update does not apply to your system......damn i hate vista.

ME BIGGD01
09-18-2007, 08:27 AM
I have a GeForce Go 7600 in my laptop and the driver version is 7.15.11.5824
also called 158.24

If that doesn't work then go to this page and try what it says
Vista HOTFIX (http://www.nvidia.com/object/windows_vista_hotfixes.html)

Goobs he has a different chipset. HE is using the integrated video which is a geforce 6 series. This card is differnt because it's onboard and uses a different memory structure. Your card has dedicated memory for its card where his uses system memory. Your card will or should score around 1500 in 3dmark 06 while his will score under 320. Big difference. Now picture that under vista.:) :D

ME BIGGD01
09-18-2007, 08:30 AM
perfect aim

Try this.

uninstall ALL nvidia drivers from the add remove in control panel. afte that's done and you restarted pc install these.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_nf400_winVista_15.01G.html

Now before you uninstall the nvidia drivers make sure you downloaded these . Then before you install the new drivers make sure all virus software is disabled.

Let me know how you make out.

Perfect aim
09-18-2007, 08:08 PM
perfect aim

Try this.

uninstall ALL nvidia drivers from the add remove in control panel. afte that's done and you restarted pc install these.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_nf400_winVista_15.01G.html

Now before you uninstall the nvidia drivers make sure you downloaded these . Then before you install the new drivers make sure all virus software is disabled.

Let me know how you make out.

i did all tat and :( it just made my game slower than usual lol damn but thanxs any way.

ME BIGGD01
09-18-2007, 08:15 PM
Sorry to hear that. Ever think of doing a clean install of Vista or maybe just going back to the old OS?

Perfect aim
09-19-2007, 01:40 AM
i must admit the first time i installed vista i did an upgrade and my pc ran real slow,if i right clicked a file it would take about 30 seconds for anything to happen,and alot of the time i kept getting program not responding,i got fed up with it and formated it and did a clean install,runs like a dream now:thumbs:

how do u do a clean installation? i think it might work :)

ME BIGGD01
09-19-2007, 01:49 AM
boot up with the disk in the drive. it should start the installation upon boot or insert disk while system is on and run through the options and choose full installation.

Perfect aim
09-19-2007, 01:52 AM
how long will it take becuase its 10:00 pm now and i have to wake up at 4 tommrow for fasting

Perfect aim
09-19-2007, 02:11 AM
ill do it first thing when i come home from school thanxs dude

Perfect aim
09-19-2007, 10:13 PM
YOYOYOYYOYYOOYOYOYOYOYOYOYY GUYS IT WORKS NOW MWUAHUAHAUHAUHAUHA NICE. HERE IS HOW I DID IT:

I first stopped windows aero then i got rid of many unneeded visual effects. Then my game started running a little slower BUT then my friend SERIOUS ELEMENT gave me this command tat can speed up ur game or slow it down and i used it and OMG NOW SS WORKS GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THANKS TO ALL Of u guys i would have never have got it to work without u guys very very much appreciated. THANXS AGAIN

PS also the command was:

/gam_fRealtimefactor=1

its 1-10 and 1 is the slowest and 10 is the fastest

heheheheheheh WICKED NICE THANXS AGAIN DUDES I LOVE U GUYS :D

drop dead gorgeous
09-21-2007, 11:41 PM
wow with 1200 bucks i could build me a good system :D i had the same problem when i first installed vista i upgraded to all the correct drivers for vista x64 and it stopped :D it might also be that you upgraded to vista instead of a full wipe and reinstall i've heard that dose not work out so well sometimes :(