PDA

View Full Version : Comcast Screws with File-Sharing Traffic

Nitro
10-21-2007, 10:30 AM
Comcast Screws with File-Sharing Traffic

Independent testing performed by the AP has revealed that Comcast actively interferes with peer-to-peer traffic going to and from its high-speed internet subscribers, by impersonating users’ machines and sending fake disconnect signals.

http://www.dailytech.com/Comcast+Screws+with+FileSharing+Traffic/article9337.htm

If you have Comcast, perhaps it would be a good idea to change your ISP.

Caged Anger
10-21-2007, 02:36 PM
yea, and frankly, what kind of ISP shouldn't?

I like p2p sharing and all, its an incredable method of data communication. But frankly, its putting too much of a draw down on the networks. Hell, my school is a prime example of bandwidth management software at its best. Here we have a 35MB T3, but before the software, a handfull of people could be drawing most of the speed. Now that the software software is in place, nobody can grab more than 500k on a download. Sure its not the 1MB/sec download we might have gotten before, but we can be sure we will get that much speed whereas before it could drop below 100k/sec.

Seems like until the tech improves to handle the increased bandwidth strain, the ISP's need to insure that all customers get the service they paid for.

Nitro
10-21-2007, 02:41 PM
Are you joking? We pay 50 a month for a service that we expect to be as advertised. If someone goes around tampering with that, that becomes deception and theivery from the client.

You also obviously do not understand what kind of technology exists. They can handle gigabits per second if they wanted to because the tech IS there. The problem here is that Comcast is money-hungry and very greedy...charging as much as possible for the least amount of service. Instead of letting them pound you in the ass, do what Biggs did and show them they will be sorry for taking advantage of their customers.

Asian Invasian
10-21-2007, 02:43 PM
Are you joking? We pay 50 a month for a service that we expect to be as advertised. If someone goes around tampering with that, that becomes deception and theivery from the client.

You also obviously do not understand what kind of technology exists. They can handle gigabits per second if they wanted to because the tech IS there. The problem here is that Comcast is money-hungry and very greedy...charging as much as possible for the least amount of service. Instead of letting them pound you in the ass, do what Biggs did and show them they will be sorry for taking advantage of their customers.

If this wasn't the best ISP I could get I would change. I really hate comcast, but what it all comes down to is the monopoly they have here in my city.

Grimmy
10-21-2007, 06:20 PM

What did Bigg do? Just curious.

Nitro
10-21-2007, 07:23 PM
http://www.gamemecca.net/forums/showthread.php?t=77785&highlight=optimum

ME BIGGD01
10-22-2007, 01:53 PM
I read this story somehwere else on the web and it disgusted me a bit. Honestly this software they use can cause problems for people that actually use programs to transmit large files. I like myslef have to send over gigs of data to Television stations and I think it is unfair that any corporation has teh irght to limit me along with spy on anything I am doing. We are not guily until proven so. How the Government would allow this is sickening.

I am glad I finally have competition inmy area. Dan2 and I who live on Long Isalnd have the best ISP service in the country. Until recently we now have competiton and a way to tell either company to go F themself. I did it twice so far and will do it a hundred time. I have again switched to cablevision and I am very happy that I get 30 down and 5 up along with the silver package for television and the Italian station which I use to pay 20 dollars a month for sattelite. I am happy that I now have a rep to call when I am not happy. Two phones and Optimum boost, silver package, Italian station, for 135 a month. I can not complain but will if I am unhappy.

There is no better feeling than havingthe ability to tell a company to go F themself when you know there something just as good willing to have you as a customer. Competition is the best thing.

Screw comacast. Get DSL regardless of it being slower. Before you quit let Comcast know you are not happy with they way they do things. It's the only way things can change. If that still does not make you happy run a sniff program and find all the people on your node that have open ports and send messages to them telling them that Comacast is not safe, find another ISP.

Nitro
10-22-2007, 04:22 PM
You left Verizon Fios and went back to Optimum? Although I have been tempted to leave Optimum once (several years ago) they kindly uncapped me after I yelled at them for a few minutes.

Dan2
10-23-2007, 04:30 AM
There are currently very few regulations regarding traffic shaping, and none that specifically cover Comcast’s particular use. The FCC says that while consumers are entitled to run the applications and services of their choice, they are subject to measures of “reasonable network management” by their ISPs. The closest directive governing Comcast’s behavior – which still doesn’t directly apply – would be found in AT&T’s conditions for acquiring BellSouth, where it had to agree not to manipulate traffic in any way based on its origin – not service type.

The FCC needs to redefine "reasonable network management". Otherwise ISPs have too much power to do whatever they want.
ISPs also need to make it clear to customers up front that you will be capped if you use x amount of bandwidth over a certain period of time.
There is too much gray area on both sides.

ME BIGGD01
10-23-2007, 05:23 AM
You left Verizon Fios and went back to Optimum? Although I have been tempted to leave Optimum once (several years ago) they kindly uncapped me after I yelled at them for a few minutes.

Yes left Fios and went back to CV. This time they made an offer I could not refuse. I like the Fios service and it was good but the company sucks just as much as CV.

If CV screws up I will switch back to Fios and will do that if Verizon screws up.. Honestly I do not care as long as I get what I am paying for. If I have a problem I will let them know about it.

OUTLAWS Tip
10-26-2007, 01:17 PM
It seems they are now taking some heat for it.

http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9804158-1.html?tag=nl.e501