PDA

View Full Version : Physx-cards?

Wiper
10-27-2007, 01:53 PM
I think it's the new hype for gaming on the PC. But dunno exactly what the idea is with this cards. (What I know is that it's meant for taking over some physics calculation from ur CPU.)

Since I see the specs I don't think it's meant as a GPU card ( 128mb, 733 & 1000 mhz ) but not sure about that.

Anyone know how it works? :P

ME BIGGD01
10-27-2007, 07:48 PM
These cards actually are not new. Maybe over a year old at this point. I never bought into it because I do not see it being worth the price of them considering the amount of games that support it.

If you are wondering what these cards do I would say picture a specific cpu that is to do the calculations for extra animations and details in specific events. Things such as an explosion in game will have a bit more detail in the particles and the effects. If you are like me you would expect your 400+ video cards to do this. All in all I do see a few games that are actually supporting this now but with the price of the card, the timing of how long will it be until it's obsolete to the next gen card or video card comes out, and the true purpose, I will skip this technology. I honestly believe that this company will be bought out eventually or it's technology may be used via software that will utilize the amount of power the current cpus. What's the point of using a quad core if it can not do specific calculations. Both Intel and AMD are working on things just for this. Intel was talking about it's next gen cpu being able to do real time which I believe is what is going to happen. I also believe that with the inteconnect technology these things will be built into the processor themself.

Now if someone gives you one of these cards or if the price comes down to like 50-60 bucks, I would say ok. Anything less, skip this premature technology.:thumbs:

Wiper
10-30-2007, 10:00 PM
I see ya point here, but I think there is still a market for (or gonna be created).

If you look at the video cards: will be also useless with extra ram, multi-core and the right software, but the companies won't kill each other. Different reason might be is that the companies are good @ what they do.

A common office-pc don't need a core which is saved for graphical processing. Nowadays everyone can chose what they want (of course the money can be an issue :D).

PS3 has also a physics-card and UT3 is a game which supports it. If this game will be as populair as UT2k4 the hole physics-card hype might explode, so ain't really a no go yet.

In the past Nvidia talked about creating software to use the power what's left during a game to help the cpu I just dunno how far they are with that, and still ain't a multicore then :)

But to get back to the question: it's supposed to run next to your Nvidia/Ati card or is it meant as screen-output?

EXEcution
10-30-2007, 10:51 PM
I see ya point here, but I think there is still a market for (or gonna be created).

If you look at the video cards: will be also useless with extra ram, multi-core and the right software, but the companies won't kill each other. Different reason might be is that the companies are good @ what they do.

A common office-pc don't need a core which is saved for graphical processing. Nowadays everyone can chose what they want (of course the money can be an issue :D).

PS3 has also a physics-card and UT3 is a game which supports it. If this game will be as populair as UT2k4 the hole physics-card hype might explode, so ain't really a no go yet.

In the past Nvidia talked about creating software to use the power what's left during a game to help the cpu I just dunno how far they are with that, and still ain't a multicore then :)

But to get back to the question: it's supposed to run next to your Nvidia/Ati card or is it meant as screen-output?

Like BIGGs said, this technology is a temporary pseudo-solution to a problem that will likely be remedied with a new wave of multi-core processors and faster video cards. A physics card itself has no outputs connectors, all they do is assist in computing "physics"-related calculations.

I'd suggest reading this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physics_engine) if you are interested.