PDA

View Full Version : SOS! Need Backup

Caged Anger
10-30-2007, 10:50 PM
Over the past 2 weeks I have seen a significant jump in the number of computers coming into the campus help desk infected with varients of the Vundo and Smitfraud viruses. I'm using every specialty utility, mcafee, a squared, avg anti-spy and anti-rootkit, spybot S&D, hijackthis and more.

Nothing seems to be getting rid of it effectively. Its turning system restore back on when I've shut it off, spread into every corner of the file system, and I'm running low on creative ideas for combating the issue.

Any of you guys running into these bugs and if so, some intel would be great...its gettign to the point where i have to start dropping the F bomb more frequently on client comps than I would like to. :hmmm: :hmmm:

ME BIGGD01
10-31-2007, 06:47 AM
Sounds to me lik eyou main problem is they are file sharing somewhere on the network which is contaminating all machines. Are these machines owned by the students? If so do you get paid to fix them? If so let them come and bank it all:) .

I use Avast on all machines. Never had a problem and occasionally when on some sites I will get a warning and it will dissconect from that server. Spyware and all that garbage software is a bunch of crap. The best solution is education on the kind of files you should click on and make sure all files be scanned with vs before opened. The quickest fix is probably cleaninstall. I would not use a system that has been compromised. Not only will you ever get all files off the machine, the time it takes to clean everything manually is longer than a new install.\

The main fix is to find out the source of the problem and get rid of it. If you see all machines getting a virus from an e-mail, block that domain from your exchange server. If it's coming from a particular website or server, block that through your router.

Caged Anger
10-31-2007, 12:09 PM
Biggs, this is why I coem here, you're genius

I'm gonna grab the avast installer ASAP as I remember now it has a boot option. I keep asking people what they are doing when they get this. Unfortunately they are students and doing less than legal activities when getting it, not one straight answer yet. At this point, all I can gather is there is a movie or music file that is hot on campus now and contains the bug.

Thx Biggs