PDA

View Full Version : Want to build a new system

NastyDawg
11-12-2007, 12:43 AM
Ok here goes, need some help please,
My current computer I built in 2004 and only thing I have upgraded is the video card (to a nVIDIA 7800) & added 1Gb of extra ram. I used to do a little gaming but with my business taking off over the last year and doubled in size I just don't have time anymore. I still want to be able to game but I don't need the fast best video card around. If I do game it will be Tiger Woods Golf and I like racing games as well (Need for speed Etc) not really into fighting or war games, but again if a new one comes out I like, want to be able to play it. (won't have to be on the highest settings) Here is my wish list from New Egg, couple of questions for you all in the know.

XCLIO A380PLUS-SL Fully Silver High Gloss Finish 1.0mm SECC/ ABS ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail
Model #: A380PLUS-SL
Item #: N82E16811103013

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16811103013
$129.99 -$10.00 Instant $119.99
----------------------------------------------------------------------

GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
Model #: GA-P35-DS3L
Item #: N82E16813128059

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16813128059
$89.99 $89.99
------------------------------------------------------------------

MSI NX8600GTS-T2D256E-OC GeForce 8600GTS 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
Model #: NX8600GTS-T2D256E-OC
Item #: N82E16814127284

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16814127284
Mail-in Rebate
$149.99 $149.99

OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI ATX12V 700W Power Supply - Retail
Model #: OCZ700GXSSLI
Item #: N82E16817341002

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16817341002
Mail-in Rebate
$149.99 -$10.00 Instant $139.99

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Conroe 2.66GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6750 - Retail
Model #: BX80557E6750
Item #: N82E16819115029

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16819115029

$194.99 $194.99
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rosewill RCR-FD200 All-in-one USB 2.0 Black 3.5" Card Reader with 1.44MB Floppy Drive - Retail
Model #: RCR-FD200
Item #: N82E16820223072

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16820223072

$25.99 $25.99
---------------------------------------------------------------------

G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ - Retail
Model #: F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ
Item #: N82E16820231098

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16820231098
In Stock
$94.99 -$40.00 Instant $109.98
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250410AS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
Model #: ST3250410AS
Item #: N82E16822148262

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16822148262
$69.99 $69.99

SAMSUNG 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S203B - OEM
Model #: SH-S203B
Item #: N82E16827151153

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16827151153
$33.99 $33.99
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler -
Model #: ACFZ7-PRO

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16835186134

$34.99
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Microsoft Windows XP Professional With SP2B 1 Pack - OEM
Model #: E85-04741
Item #: N82E16832116059
Should I get the new Vista for a Os? (dirX10)
Should I go with a better video card? (pay a little more now instead of upgrading in another year)
What about the Processor should I go with a Quad core, not a AMD fan but willing to listen to anyone's input here (Biggs) and if I did go AMD, whats the best one for the money and suggest a Motherboard to go with it.
I won't need a bigger hard drive as I have most of my business stuff on a 2 external hard dives that I'm going to keep with my current system to run the business from. The new system will be basically a home system for surfing the net and and playing a few games from time to time.

Thanks for anyone's time in advance!

NastyDawg
11-12-2007, 12:58 AM
Yeah, I was going to go with that but was not sure.

ME BIGGD01
11-12-2007, 06:19 AM
Dawg, I am not going to tell you what you should buy or not. I will only make suggestions and that suggestion is wait a week or two.

Why? I have told a few already but they insisted to go and buy when they had that itch. My point was clear and the same products they bought are now much cheaper and worst there is a better product out now that is also cheaper.

That's not it though. I have been saying it for a month now and that time is coming real soon. AMD is releasing not only a new chip but they are also releasing new Video cards along with new motherboard chipsets. The video cards are going to be priced very aggresively along with having dx10.1 capability. There will be lower end models and higher end models and from reports I have read these cards are going to be powerful. Now another thing coming out is the new 790 chipset which is what I am looking for. You really have to check out the specs on these bad boys.

Now I am not going to tell you to buy AMD or suggest that. You buy what you feel is best for you. Pretty much anything you buy today will do fine. I always like to make sure I am getting what is best for the buck and will last as far as the technology goes. This is one of the reasons I always preferred AMD but that's just me.

Now why wait if you ask and I will say that there are new things coming out this month that will change or alter the pricing of what's out already. AMD's new Processor will be faster than Intels core 2 chip. This is great as competition and the price war will continue. Both Intel and AMD will compete against each other and Intel will not be able to sell their chips at the same price due to performance advantage as they had for the past year. This will allow you to buy a better chip for the price you are looking to spend now. This goes with all the parts as well so I hope you see my point.

I myself am waiting patiently and have my new system ready as soon as the parts are available. I will go with an entire AMD/ATI platform along with the new Phenom quad core chip. I usually change systems or major parts every few months and this new platform from what I am seeing looks to be the system to beat. Very low power in all the parts along with Hyoer Transport 3, Quad core, true crossfire support, and many new treats that Intel does not have the advantage of due to it's old platform.

If you are serious getting a low end video card, you can make me an offer for one or both of my 8800 gts cards. I personally am going to switch to the ATI 3x series and will plan to auction off my 6 month old crap.

Asian Invasian
11-12-2007, 06:39 AM
I have the graphics card and enjoy it alot.
What I can suggest to you is something I missed out on because Gun Element hates me. He is setlling his 8800 for 170 which is huge man. Pm him for details or get back to me and Ill call him up if you want it. Its really a chance you don't want to miss.

ME BIGGD01
11-12-2007, 06:47 AM
http://www.madboxpc.com/contenido.php?id=5430

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/11/08/sapphire-790fx-board-pixellated

ME BIGGD01
11-12-2007, 06:49 AM
I have the graphics card and enjoy it alot.
What I can suggest to you is something I missed out on because Gun Element hates me. He is setlling his 8800 for 170 which is huge man. Pm him for details or get back to me and Ill call him up if you want it. Its really a chance you don't want to miss.

Why wouldnt you buy that card? It will blow your gts card away and you will be able to play just about any game? 170 bucks is pretty cheap.

Siron Ex
11-12-2007, 12:47 PM
actually i think ur setup is quite perfect with 1 exception! instead of that processor you should get THIS (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115017)
its about $80 more but i mean u would def want it, i mean 2 cores are almost outdated :/

also i was going to buy that case instead of the one i have now, i love that one u picked out, i bet it keeps ur hardware mad cool :)
Hey my new PC got the Quad 6600.. and it's running very smooth

Oh and i can only suggest you to buy the 8800 GTX

and if you're going to buy a 64 BIT OS Version, you should be buying 4 GB RAM

Gun Element
11-12-2007, 03:10 PM
Why wouldnt you buy that card? It will blow your gts card away and you will be able to play just about any game? 170 bucks is pretty cheap.

It sure is :P

ME BIGGD01
11-12-2007, 10:54 PM
It sure is :P

What are you planning to get after you get rid of that card?

NastyDawg
11-12-2007, 11:06 PM
Yes -Siron Ex, I'm going to go with 4GB of RAM
BIGG, I'm in no hurry to do anything if I can get a better deal or better Chips are coming out soon. Keep us updated, I would like to do something by the end of this year or the first of next year. Thanks for all the info as well!

ME BIGGD01
11-12-2007, 11:16 PM
Hey my new PC got the Quad 6600.. and it's running very smooth

Oh and i can only suggest you to buy the 8800 GTX

and if you're going to buy a 64 BIT OS Version, you should be buying 4 GB RAM

You think the 8800gtx is practical considering what's out there today at half the price? 500-600 is insane to buy on a product that will not offer you the newer technology.

I think the quad core chips are priced pretty good at that range. If you are using your system though for just basics and gaming a person would be better off buying a dual core at a higher clock speed. It all depends what you are looking for but I hope people understand that a lower clocked quad core will not make your system faster than a dual core higher clocked chip. This should be just as true when I relate my black edition 3,2 ghz AMD64 chip against the new Phenom chips coming which will probably be clocked at 2.4. I would probably get better frame rates with the higher clock speed older chip inmy current config. I think people should know that multi core chips will be useless to applications that are not multi threaded. If you are planning on encoding and ripping alomg with other task all at the same time a quad is probablythe best way to go. I will also like to point out that if you are a person doing such things you should also have a system platform configured to do such things.

ME BIGGD01
11-12-2007, 11:28 PM
Yes -Siron Ex, I'm going to go with 4GB of RAM
BIGG, I'm in no hurry to do anything if I can get a better deal or better Chips are coming out soon. Keep us updated, I would like to do something by the end of this year or the first of next year. Thanks for all the info as well!

Dawg, I think you should really write down what your plans or maybe future plans are for this system you plan to build. I mean your current specs are pretty good as it is minus your video card. This should be good and allow you to wait until everything adjusts. Things have changed so much these days that mostly everything you buy is pretty much a throw away in a year. Look at the 8800gts cards as an example. They cost about 400+ just a few months ago and now you can buy them 50% less. At which point were they really worth it for someone considering nothing really took advantage of them and Vista games are just now showing up. Now they have a new dx10 which really pisses me of considering the timing. I would probably be even more pissed 9if I had to buy everything I own.

I would hold off regardless, set a budget for yourself and consider your options at that very moment. It really does not matter which platform you go to because you are changing pretty much everything as you system is really not upgradeable. If you owned an Athlon 64 I would tell you to just buy a newer chip and slap that biatch in. I would never tell you to buy the fastest thing on the market as I believe that is a foolish move considering how quickly that advantage diminishes along with the higher price. My motto is always buy latest technology at a lowest price and upgrade every few months. This will always be the better choice as you will have the ability to have the latest and greatest along with not burning a hole in your pocket as if you bought the fastest product on the market at a premium. I think you should select a platform that will last and be useable in a a year or two. What I mean by that is plan on being able to just slap a new chip in down the road and still have an ass kicking rig. If you owned an AMD 64 system from 3 years ago you would have that ability so I just want you to understand what I mean.

ME BIGGD01
11-12-2007, 11:33 PM
If you buy 4 gigs of ram get 2x 2GB dimms. Really the premium is not worth it and a 64 bit os may give you more problems thatn you bargain for. In the long run unless you have specific applications that run in 64 bit mode it may be better to stick with 32 bit. I like the idea of 64 but but programs I use wont run on it even in wow32 mode which make it pretty useless. This should be considered and judged on your preferences and use of apps you use.

in a 32bit OS 2 gigs of ram is more than enough. It will not see 4 gigs so if you plan on going with a 32 bit os save your money pr buy 2 gigs of better clocked ram.

Again budget your mission.:thumbs:

Gun Element
11-12-2007, 11:36 PM
What are you planning to get after you get rid of that card?

I know your not a big fan of the 8800's, but the 8800 GT was most intriguing. I want to sell my GTS within the next 2 months so when the 8800 GT drops in price Ill get it.

ME BIGGD01
11-13-2007, 12:50 AM
I have nothing against the 8800 as far as performance goes. The quality is ok but should be better. I am not to keen with Nvidia's BS benchmark tactics and if you see a comparison as far as quality goes you would agree. I wonder what people are more interested in. Is it the higher score for bragging rights or an actual ver clear and crisp image. I will be honest I am quite impressed with ATI's HDMI ports integrated on the video card. Anyone who has a big screen can dedicate their movies to that screen along with the audo codec built into the card. Some times I think more is better.

Asian Invasian
11-13-2007, 04:42 AM

I would have if the bastard didnt tell me 2 weeks after I had my setup working.

Death Engineer
11-13-2007, 11:35 PM
FWIW, based on reading I've done on various sites (tomshardware.com, dailytech.com, etc), it looks like there is about to be another price war on video cards. This will only drive the prices down and I'm sure the acceleration of this movement will crescendo during the holiday buying season. If I were you, I would wait 4 weeks and see where the market is. My bet is that you'll save a bundle or get a much faster video card for the same money.

As far as the quad core goes, it's nice. But largely useless in games for now. I'm sure that will change, but it takes time to convert from a single thread loop system like games have used for 10+ years now into a REAL multithreaded system that truly takes advantage of multiple cores.

There is some serious evidence in this realm when you look at the PS3 (cell processor with up to 8 processing units). It is clear that it took alot of time for games to start coming out that really took advantage of the hardware. I'm sure you'll see the same for PCs.

BlackWolf
11-15-2007, 03:23 PM
dosent the new games use quad cores ? UT3,crysis etc.?

Grimmy
11-15-2007, 06:30 PM
Bingo- I been reading quick a bit about different setup and stuff lately, and I'd suggest the intel quad core proc. I been thinking about upgrading to it myself, and I hear it is easy to overclock it, if you get into that stuff.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115017

There was the OEM on for $260, but I read somewhere that some people are charging an extra $15-20 to sort the new proc from the old ones. The new ones have the G0 stepping (I hope I got my info correct here, been reading about so many different procs I might have gotten some stuff confused :rolleyes: ) Also if you go the intel route, I'd suggest this for a cpu heatsink. I read a lot of people are using that, especially if they are overclocking and it's holding great.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118223

I have read that quad core, someone has overclocked it to run stable at 4GHz :eek: They scored over 19k on 3DMark06 with that proc, but they had a lot of other goodies as well, SLI ect.

Death Engineer
11-15-2007, 08:52 PM
dosent the new games use quad cores ? UT3,crysis etc.?

Any game will use them. It's not hard to have more than a few threads in your program. But let's say that one thread is doing 98% of the heavy lifting and the others are mostly idle. In this case, a quad core CPU helps very little. Unfortunately, this is how the majority of games have been written and developed to date.

This will all change over the next 12-18 months, but I wouldn't expect everyone to jump on board right away. It takes time to change things like this. It is a real mind warp for the developers who have always done things another way.