PDA

View Full Version : Backup Software

Death Engineer
01-04-2008, 08:16 PM
Does anyone know of any backup software that will simply copy files from one place to another in an intelligent fashion (i.e. don't copy everything every time)? Everything that I’ve downloaded and tried wants to either use an online backup or wants to compress the files. I’m just looking for something that will do a one time full backup of some set of folders and then just keep up with what changed and copy those files (i.e. incremental). We have a new 320GB network drive that is the target, so it needs to be network aware, but not necessarily web aware (though that might be nice in the future).

I’m hoping this is not such a rare thing that I have to write something myself. Or maybe this is as simple as using some copy program with the right parameters. I’m open to whatever you guys suggest.

Caged Anger
01-04-2008, 09:35 PM
Microsoft engineers made a powertoy called SyncToy, it allows you to do a number of different backup types from a full sync to an echo. I use it a lot and its quite simple and easy to use.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/digitalphotography/prophoto/synctoy.mspx

Goober
01-06-2008, 04:13 PM
I used this software Syncback (http://www.2brightsparks.com/syncback/syncback-hub.html) before I got a maxtor usb drive that came with it's own backup software It's simple to use and after the initial backup you can set it to backup daily and it only copies the files that have been changed since the last backup.

Caged Anger
01-06-2008, 08:00 PM
to be honest, the tool included with windows isn't that bad either...its what I use to keep a backup at work of my laptop

Punisher
01-06-2008, 08:01 PM
I have been using Cobian Backup (http://www.educ.umu.se/~cobian/cobianbackup.htm) for a long time now on all my pc's home and work. It does exactly what you are asking. A one time full backup and then incremental from then on. It will backup to any drive or FTP site if you desire and the data can be compressed at time of backup if you had the need.

ME BIGGD01
01-07-2008, 01:09 PM
DE, not sure if you own one of these but those new seagate external drives comes with free software that is pretty good. I have one and got another for Christmas. I can e-mail you the code to my un opened drive because I already have the software and liscense for my first external drive. You can register it in your name and it will be legal.

Death Engineer
01-07-2008, 10:13 PM
Thanks BIGGD, but I think I have the problem solved here. This 320GB drive was purchased on an open box buy that didn't have the software (saved $20). So I downloaded it. It is not general purpose (i.e. it has to be used with one of these Maxtor drives), but it seems to fit the bill. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

I'll be checking out a few of the software suggestions in the future, but at least this one machine is working now.

On another note, I have found that rsync on linux/cygwin will fit the bill.