PDA

View Full Version : Why I Love Torrents

Bingo
02-01-2008, 01:14 AM
Some of you may know one of my things is collecting legal concert bootlegs via BitTorrent. You can see some of the shows I've picked up in a link in my signature (Though it's horrifically out of date).

Here is one of the reasons why I love BitTorrent technology. I was snatching a hugely popular Led Zepp bootleg from thier shows last month. Since there are a ton of people active on it, it's moving wonderfully fast which is the great thing about how torrents work. Took me all of about 10 minutes to get the full 650 meg show. :P

Check out the download speed. For kicks, also check out the speed on the Pearl Jam torrent above which is horribly old, not very popular and has only 1 seeder so will take me about a 1 1/2 days to get. lol

B

drop dead gorgeous
02-01-2008, 02:19 AM
thats pretty fast, not too often you get speeds like that though :( ....leeching biotches!

Nitro
02-01-2008, 03:37 AM
mine is bigger than yours :D

http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/6254/untitledxf6.jpg

drop dead gorgeous
02-01-2008, 03:57 AM
woah wish i could get speeds like that!

drop dead gorgeous
02-01-2008, 04:08 AM
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x179/sk8instona88/btdownupspeed.jpg
this is mine i usually up faster than i down :\

Bingo
02-01-2008, 06:22 AM
this is mine i usually up faster than i down :\

Are you firewalled? It looks a lot like you are. With that many seeders and leechers I would think you should be able to see higher speeds.

That and the fact that you say you usually see speeds like that makes me bet you are firewalled.

Nitro
02-01-2008, 08:46 PM
Yea, or check to see if you're capped. Happened to me several years ago and had to call up the ISP tp get uncapped. But like Bingo said, check your ports to see if they're forwarded correctly.

ME BIGGD01
02-01-2008, 10:06 PM
Depending on who your ISP is, you should probably use a proxy as some of the ISP's will cap you and say you are doing something illegal. I know it's a bunch of BS but I would suggest monitoring your speeds. I imagine this is what happened to Nitro. Time Warner is the worst and take it upon themself to accuse people who use torrents or software of illegal activity.

Nitro
02-01-2008, 11:07 PM
Depending on who your ISP is, you should probably use a proxy as some of the ISP's will cap you and say you are doing something illegal. I know it's a bunch of BS but I would suggest monitoring your speeds. I imagine this is what happened to Nitro. Time Warner is the worst and take it upon themself to accuse people who use torrents or software of illegal activity.

Yes, what they said was that I was uploading too much too fast (they don't care how fast or much you download). So I looked on broadbandreports.com and saw that many people in my ISP's forums said to establish a specific upload limit while filesharing. I noticed that 30KB/s was the maximum upload that is safe where I wouldn't be in danger of being capped so I set it at half that, 15KB/s. That was 3 years ago and have UL'd 0.5TB since then and I never got capped since so this must be a working method.

Perfect aim
02-02-2008, 01:28 AM
im callin the cops :party015: :party015:

Bingo
02-02-2008, 01:57 AM
I will say, I do take pretty extensive efforts to make sure I share only legal shows. While I'm not on any sort of moralistic high horse, I just don't feel like getting into all the potential trouble that can arise.

Nitro
02-02-2008, 02:36 AM
Yea, I do most of my ULing on http://www.themixingbowl.org/ which has only legal torrents so I don't have to worry.