PDA

View Full Version : Software Help

picard
02-01-2008, 12:30 PM
Hi, i was wondering if you could recommend a software package to do the following;

I need something that i can design a web page to access data on an SQL database and return queries, nothing fancy it can be in a Field and Field Lable format like excel.

I need to give poeple access over an intranet and internet.

i also need to ability to create reports.

The package needs to be able to create tables etc on the SQL database.

I am not a programmer not do i do a lot of web design, but this is something i wish to take on as a project.

Any suggestions?

BobtheCkroach
02-01-2008, 03:18 PM
What type of Database are you connecting to, out of curiousity.

If this will be hosted on a windows server and you have asp.net available, I'd recommend that.

You can download the Express version of Visual Studio for web development. Visual studio will let you create the web pages, and has stuff in it to connect to a database, so that you can create tables and everythign from there.

It's a bit heavy for beginners, but if you go to http://www.asp.net and click the "learn" link an watch some of the videos on general asp.net and visual studio, you can give it a try.

I do web development on Visual Studio every day of my life.

BobtheCkroach
02-01-2008, 03:22 PM
Also, if you're gonna go with asp.net, you'll need to figure out which version of asp.net is running on the server - 1.1, 2.0, 3.5.

I would avoid 1.1...it's old, and not nearly as nice as 2.0 or 3.5 (both in terms of features and usability). I haven't used 3.5 yet, but from what I see it's nice.

picard
02-01-2008, 03:25 PM
Hi thanks for the post, using a linux server with all the usual stuff in place.
Using MYSQL

BobtheCkroach
02-01-2008, 05:33 PM
Ah. I have virtually no experience with a linux environment (in terms of web development, that is), and completely no experience with any interface to help in the development (did a bit of PHP in notepad, and connected to the DB through a crappy web interface).

Sorry, i'm not gonna be able to help you much in this case :(

Good luck to you, though :thumbs:

ME BIGGD01
02-01-2008, 09:51 PM
Postgres and tomcat is what I use for a specific app.