PDA

View Full Version : Over 30... Keep Reading

OUTLAWS WHOCARES
02-20-2008, 12:40 AM
THE SPOILED UNDER-30 CROWD!!!
If you are 30 or older you will think this is hilarious!!!!

When I was a kid, adults used to bore me to tears with their
tedious diatribes about how hard things were when they were growing up; what, with walking twenty-five miles to school every morning ..... uphill BOTH ways yadda, yadda, yadda!
And I remember promising myself that when I grew up, there was no way in the world I was going to lay a bunch of crap like that on kids about how hard I had it and how easy they've got it!

But now that... I'm over the ripe old age of thirty, I can't help but look around and notice the youth of today. You've got it so
easy! I mean, compared to my childhood, you live in a Utopia! And I hate to say it but you kids today you don't know how good you've got it!
I mean, when I was a kid we didn't have The Internet. If we
wanted to know something, we had to go to the library and look it up ourselves, in the card catalog!! There was no email! We had to actually write somebody a letter...with a pen! Then you had to walk all the way across the street and put it in the mailbox and it would take like a week to get there! There were no MP3's or Napsters! You wanted to steal music, you had to hitchhike to the record store and shop lift it yourself!
Or you had to wait around all day to tape it off the radio and the DJ'd usually talk over the beginning and mess it all up!
We didn't have fancy crap like Call Waiting! If you were on the phone and somebody else called they got a busy signal, that's it! And we didn't have fancy Caller ID Boxes either! When the phone rang, you had no idea who it was! It could be your school, your mom, your boss, your bookie, your drug dealer, a collections agent, you just didn't know!!! You had to pick it up and take your chances mister!

We didn't have any fancy Sony Playstation video games with
high-resolution 3-D graphics! We had the Atari 2600! With games like 'Space Invaders' and 'asteroids' and the graphics sucked! Your guy was a little square! You actually had to use your imagination! And there were no multiple levels or screens, it was just one screen forever! And you could never win. The game just kept getting harder and harder and faster and faster until you died! Just like LIFE!
When you went to the movie theater there no such thing as stadium seating! All the seats were the same height! If a tall guy or some old broad with a hat sat in front of you and you couldn't see, you were just screwed! Sure, we had cable television, but back then that was only like 15 channels and there was no on screen menu and no remote control! You had to use a little book called a TV Guide to find out what was on!
You were screwed when it came to channel surfing! You had to get off your rear and walk over to the TV to change the channel and there was no Cartoon Network either! You could only get cartoons on Saturday morning. Do you hear what I'm saying!?! We had to wait ALL WEEK for cartoons, you spoiled little snots! And we didn't have microwaves, if we wanted to heat something up we had to use the stove or go build a frigging fire .... imagine that!
If we wanted popcorn, we had to use that stupid Jiffy Pop thing and shake it over the stove forever like an idiot.

That's exactly what I'm talking about! You kids today have got it too easy. You're spoiled!!!!!!!!!
You guys wouldn't have lasted five minutes back in 1980!
Oh yea, and a seat belt was Mom throwing her arm across your chest every time she hit the brakes

FUS1ON
02-20-2008, 12:58 AM
LOL .... Awesome!

NastyDawg
02-20-2008, 01:24 AM
All so true

NightBreed
02-20-2008, 01:33 AM
Ahahaha..always loved when the card catalog drawer pulled out of its cabinet !:rolleyes: :funny: Whoops !!

Amazes me that I used to play Asteroids in the local gin-mill on a console the size of a refrigerator, now my kids play the same damn game on their hand-held PSP...:confused: Go figure !

Good stuff !!! :thumbs:

Goober
02-20-2008, 02:35 AM
Do younguns even know what the dewey decimal system even is?
Back then one 15" TV black and white with 2 channels and no air conditioning. No wonder we were skinny back then. We stayed outside and played real games all the time. The closest we came to a video game was the rockem sockem robots!!

EXEcution
02-20-2008, 03:04 AM
I know nothing of these internets.

Unless something short of massive social change occurs in the next 5-10 years then I cannot imagine what society will be like then. There will simply be too many facets of information than any single person can digest in a day. Most of us will all either be incredibly stupid (and believe that we're smart) or incredibly smart (and not even know it).

Caged Anger
02-20-2008, 03:26 AM
Yes, in many respects we have it easy

Yet has the life of a kid become simpler?

Now the average kid is being pummeled from the get-go into following a regiment of study that will get them into grad school, thats right grad school, because if you aim lower nowadays you're likely to get thrown aside with the rest of your class.

We now face the chance of our jobs being shipped overseas
(yea, thanks for that you old farts)

Our social lives have a complexity that rivals most movie stars and just as easily as with Paris Hilton and a movie camera, our lives can go in the shitter (not just our social lives, if the right story gets put on the web then our careers could also be seriously effected)

Then you get into the lovely relm of now having to worry about going to school and getting shot (overpublicized, but still now out there unlike before)

Oh, and lets now forget the fact that we will probably not be retiring until out mid to late 80's because we're working to pay off huge ass credit card debts and the bankrupt social security system...

We have it easy? In some ways...but I consider it to be small compensation for a life of unending bills

Suicidal
02-20-2008, 03:31 AM
I LOVE intellivision! My family never really had a lot of money, so my first source of video games started out was with an old system that my parents had gotten. I enjoyed astrosmash SO much. LOL. Dad really owned at the game, and it was fun to watch. Until about a year to two years ago, my parents had strictly watched over how long my two brothers and I played (one hour a day on the weekends and friday. Nothing during school days, unless we sneaked on, but that oppurtunity was rare, but well taken advantage of). So we had to do stuff outside as well (my dad took my bowling a lot. that was fun!). It was almost impossible to get "good" at a game. Might be why I'm horrible at everything now...
The school system I went to in New Hampshire was very poor, and the things we learned there were the same things we learned from what you were talking about (and yes, that included the Dewey Decimal System. The picture of a duck is forever ingrained into my head from elementary school). I kinda "suffered" like you guys did, except for one thing: everyone else wasnt in the same position as me. They were MILES ahead, so i was kinda outcasted.

My older brother DID win $200 on a scratch ticket (massachusetts lottery FTW!) and 9/10 of that went to buy himself a BRAND NEW sega Genesis!
...with only three hours a week to play it. That was our allowance: game time. And allowance came from doing chores! UGH!

i wasn't exactly spoiled, and yeah, you guys had it tougher than we do now. Just saying not everyone had it "easy." Remember I'm almost 19, so I fit outside your category.

And college is BORING AS CRAP! i wouldnt be here if it was 15 years ago! all that money, "wasted" i better eventually get a 6 figure job, with all that current inflation going on now. ARG

Nitro
02-20-2008, 04:13 AM
Do younguns even know what the dewey decimal system even is?
Back then one 15" TV black and white with 2 channels and no air conditioning. No wonder we were skinny back then. We stayed outside and played real games all the time. The closest we came to a video game was the rockem sockem robots!!

Goobs, you know the 20 and over crowd can relate to alot of the things on the over 30 list because we grew up in the age before the internet and before technology turned everyone into zombiez that sit at home on their computers all day.

we had block parties
we played outside
we created games using an ancient tool called imagination
we remember the stock market using fractions
we did learn about the dewey decimal system
we had to use the dreaded card catalog
we had the dreaded busy signal!
we had the phones with the curly cords
we had ancient devices called board games
we had classic american cartoons like tom and jerry
we wrote letters on pen and paper to friends across the country and sometimes to family in other countries which tooks weeks instead of instant communication online today
there was no such thing as Google. you actually had to put effort into finding something.

in all honesty, i miss the early 90s. they were the best years of my life and things seemed so much more innocent and normal. however, i think each person looked at the years of their childhood and that decade as the best years and the good old days but i mean come on, it doesnt take a genius to notice how spoiled and rotten society and culture has become in recent times with, surprise surprise, the advent of new technology.

now im gonna go make a topic for the 90s XD

oh, one more goodie from the 90s: Titanic....last movie rated PG-13 that had breasts

Nitro
02-20-2008, 04:27 AM
i have a very dynamic personality and im going to agree with all the old timers here about how kids are completley spoiled and its not even their fault. society and western culture has made children grow up faster which in turn has robbed them of their "innocence" and schools are forcing them to learn in 3rd grade about subjects that adults in universities were learning (you had to go to Oxford and Cambridge to learn long division a long time ago).

the internet is a blessing and a curse just as equally. it is the most frustrating concept to come to terms with. on both sides you can see the incredible improvements and benefits and the horrific and terrible consequences. children as losing their imagination which takes creativity with it. where are all the inventors going to come from? artists? etc. let's not forget about the fattening of societythanks to technology. fat people dont even have to freakin walk anymore..they can just buy a scooter and drive around in the supermarkets to buy even more food to stuff their faces with.
more technology = more video games promoting violence and war (just look at all the WWII themed games training our children to become accustomed to "killing" people. and with gfx getting more realistic each day, this is going ot turn a society into an indifferent bloodlusting one)

cell phones are evil. period.

what else? oh, i can rant on this all day and i think i would if i wasnt so tired at the moment so ill leave it at that.

Suicidal
02-20-2008, 04:34 AM
I LOVE games! anyone play stratego?

solid snake295
02-20-2008, 04:53 AM
anyone remember the original FPS?!

http://www.farscapegames.co.uk/ishop/images/1003/crossfire.jpg
"HAY GUIES!!1!!1 LETS PLAY CROSSFIRE!!!1!!" pew pew pew!

OUTLAWS WHOCARES
02-20-2008, 11:30 AM
I forgot to add this. The older you get the earlier you go to bed and the earlier you get up. For the love of all things holy it's 6:30 AM and I have nowhere to go till noon. Off to the gym it is.

Nitro
02-20-2008, 02:31 PM
Anyone ever play Magic the Gathering when they were kids? It was huge back then.

Grimmy
02-20-2008, 02:35 PM
anyone remember the original FPS?!

http://www.farscapegames.co.uk/ishop/images/1003/crossfire.jpg
"HAY GUIES!!1!!1 LETS PLAY CROSSFIRE!!!1!!" pew pew pew!

OMG, I had that game LOL

Although I am not 30 yet, so much of that is true and I remember a lot fo the things ya mentioned Who. HEHE

Sexyjess
02-22-2008, 04:46 PM
Goobs, you know the 20 and over crowd can relate to alot of the things on the over 30 list because we grew up in the age before the internet and before technology turned everyone into zombiez that sit at home on their computers all day.

we had block parties
we played outside
we created games using an ancient tool called imagination
we remember the stock market using fractions
we did learn about the dewey decimal system
we had to use the dreaded card catalog
we had the dreaded busy signal!
we had the phones with the curly cords
we had ancient devices called board games
we had classic american cartoons like tom and jerry
we wrote letters on pen and paper to friends across the country and sometimes to family in other countries which tooks weeks instead of instant communication online today
there was no such thing as Google. you actually had to put effort into finding something.

in all honesty, i miss the early 90s. they were the best years of my life and things seemed so much more innocent and normal. however, i think each person looked at the years of their childhood and that decade as the best years and the good old days but i mean come on, it doesnt take a genius to notice how spoiled and rotten society and culture has become in recent times with, surprise surprise, the advent of new technology.

now im gonna go make a topic for the 90s XD

oh, one more goodie from the 90s: Titanic....last movie rated PG-13 that had breasts

yeah agree most of it, that ur saying

Mr Clean
02-23-2008, 05:59 AM
Good list Who, I got that in an email earlier in the week :thumbs:

I was gonna comment on all the social thoughts in this thread but they are too depressing and inaccurate to waste time with...

EXEcution
02-23-2008, 03:13 PM
I was gonna comment on all the social thoughts in this thread but they are too depressing and inaccurate to waste time with...

Wow. Are you related to Nitro?

Nitro
02-23-2008, 07:57 PM
Wow. Are you related to Nitro?

shh!

Suicidal
02-24-2008, 06:37 AM
Wow. its a small world after all

OH NO THE SONGS STUCK IN MY HEAD AGAIN! HELP ME

EXEcution
02-24-2008, 03:15 PM
Wow. its a small world after all

OH NO THE SONGS STUCK IN MY HEAD AGAIN! HELP ME

Use that power drill in your toolshed.

Ra\/en
02-26-2008, 07:21 AM
THE SPOILED UNDER-30 CROWD!!!
If you are 30 or older you will think this is hilarious!!!!

When I was a kid, adults used to bore me to tears with their
tedious diatribes about how hard things were when they were growing up; what, with walking twenty-five miles to school every morning ..... uphill BOTH ways yadda, yadda, yadda!
And I remember promising myself that when I grew up, there was no way in the world I was going to lay a bunch of crap like that on kids about how hard I had it and how easy they've got it!

But now that... I'm over the ripe old age of thirty, I can't help but look around and notice the youth of today. You've got it so
easy! I mean, compared to my childhood, you live in a Utopia! And I hate to say it but you kids today you don't know how good you've got it!
I mean, when I was a kid we didn't have The Internet. If we
wanted to know something, we had to go to the library and look it up ourselves, in the card catalog!! There was no email! We had to actually write somebody a letter...with a pen! Then you had to walk all the way across the street and put it in the mailbox and it would take like a week to get there! There were no MP3's or Napsters! You wanted to steal music, you had to hitchhike to the record store and shop lift it yourself!
Or you had to wait around all day to tape it off the radio and the DJ'd usually talk over the beginning and mess it all up!
We didn't have fancy crap like Call Waiting! If you were on the phone and somebody else called they got a busy signal, that's it! And we didn't have fancy Caller ID Boxes either! When the phone rang, you had no idea who it was! It could be your school, your mom, your boss, your bookie, your drug dealer, a collections agent, you just didn't know!!! You had to pick it up and take your chances mister!

We didn't have any fancy Sony Playstation video games with
high-resolution 3-D graphics! We had the Atari 2600! With games like 'Space Invaders' and 'asteroids' and the graphics sucked! Your guy was a little square! You actually had to use your imagination! And there were no multiple levels or screens, it was just one screen forever! And you could never win. The game just kept getting harder and harder and faster and faster until you died! Just like LIFE!
When you went to the movie theater there no such thing as stadium seating! All the seats were the same height! If a tall guy or some old broad with a hat sat in front of you and you couldn't see, you were just screwed! Sure, we had cable television, but back then that was only like 15 channels and there was no on screen menu and no remote control! You had to use a little book called a TV Guide to find out what was on!
You were screwed when it came to channel surfing! You had to get off your rear and walk over to the TV to change the channel and there was no Cartoon Network either! You could only get cartoons on Saturday morning. Do you hear what I'm saying!?! We had to wait ALL WEEK for cartoons, you spoiled little snots! And we didn't have microwaves, if we wanted to heat something up we had to use the stove or go build a frigging fire .... imagine that!
If we wanted popcorn, we had to use that stupid Jiffy Pop thing and shake it over the stove forever like an idiot.

That's exactly what I'm talking about! You kids today have got it too easy. You're spoiled!!!!!!!!!
You guys wouldn't have lasted five minutes back in 1980!
Oh yea, and a seat belt was Mom throwing her arm across your chest every time she hit the brakes

wait.. whocares, are you over 30 now? Didnt you used to be a part of UTW?

Time goes by fast... I'm getting older too geez!

OUTLAWS WHOCARES
02-26-2008, 11:08 AM
Yup. 31 now that was a long time ago....

Ra\/en
02-26-2008, 09:46 PM
glad to see you are still doing well. :)

Wiper
02-27-2008, 03:06 PM
Of course you can set-up the goods against the bad can be done vise versa also :P

What worries me the most is the continually narrowing of our privacy (best argument "terrorism"). With all this technologie people think they are "free", cuz they can see the hole world but don't realize that there is a world behind it what is taking over the informationflows over the internet.

Storing all I-net traffic for 2 years (w00tah I say nr.1 of all time: Google :rolleyes: just a small example). And don't spit the argument if you have nothing to hide you have nothing to worry: everybody has something to hide.

Again a small example: nearly everything goes on the pc nowadays, but no one knows exactly what happens with the information and since the memorie of the internet is infinite/for ever it easily can destroy lives.

So yeah I really like all that technology, it just worries me the path we are walking these days with too many powerfull people who think they can control the world. Can do fine for a long time, but eventually it will collapse since the mass always wins :)

Oki, this far for the apocalipse :P

BIGSHOW201
02-29-2008, 03:16 AM
wow do u guys remember the big wheel lol 43 here Battle ship!!