PDA

View Full Version : What book are you reading now?

SASQUATCH
02-25-2008, 09:46 AM
I am on my 8th book of this year from January up until now of February.
Scientist Confront Creationism (Intelligent Design and Beyond).
Edited by Andrew J. Petto and Laurie R. Godfrey (Copyright 2007)

Almost done with Scientist Confront Creationism and will begin on How the Great Powers Shape the World or Christianity: an Ancient Egyptian Religion by Wednesday or Thursday.

What I am doing this year is to at least read 3 to 4 books a month and when school semester is over I will try 4 to 5 books within a month. I stopped watching Television pretty much all together but only watch my Science and History channels that I feel worth watching.

I am curious to know what books you guys read and would recommend that you feel is worth to read and why.

Thank you

SAS

NightBreed
02-25-2008, 01:05 PM
Just finished Devil in the White City by Erik Larsen , awesome book about the stories behind the 1892 Worlds Fair in Chicago..Amazon link (http://www.amazon.com/Devil-White-City-Madness-Changed/dp/0375725601/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1203944382&sr=8-1)
Had to follow that up by one of his earlier ones, Isaac's Storm, about the 1900 hurricane thru Galveston...Another one.. (http://www.amazon.com/Isaacs-Storm-Deadliest-Hurricane-History/dp/0375708278/ref=pd_sim_b_img_2)

Damn good stories !!

Banshee
02-25-2008, 02:48 PM
"intensity" by Dean Koontz and "fifth elephant"by Terry Pratchett at the moment.

MORGANA
02-25-2008, 03:20 PM
I am reading now science fiction book names "Consider Phlebas" from Iain Banks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consider_Phlebas

EXEcution
02-25-2008, 04:47 PM
Alternating between V for Vendetta by Alan Moore and American Gods by Neil Gaiman (fantasy in modern times). Both are very interesting but V for Vendetta gets quite dense at times.

Suicidal
02-25-2008, 05:14 PM
I liked the hitchhikers guide to galaxy series. Its really good

QuietStorm
02-25-2008, 06:17 PM
no one:P but normally, I read Horror-books :P

Sexyjess
02-25-2008, 06:57 PM
I really should i love to read,,,but to be honest it was years ago i read a book.....

just been reading school books latelty ://

Siron Ex
02-25-2008, 08:30 PM
W. & H. Hohlbein - Das Buch

Mad Fox
02-25-2008, 08:38 PM
Textbooks,

Death Engineer
02-25-2008, 11:43 PM
Looks like a couple of interesting books there Sas. I'm currently reading/studying Galations in the Bible. Also reading a parenting book -- Shepherding a Child's heart. And For Women Only (my wife and I are reading that one together) -- sort of a marriage book. :P

SASQUATCH
02-26-2008, 02:42 AM
DE - I think it’s great that you and your wife are reading the same book, that way you can discuss it among each other.

So far I have looked up on many of the books you guys have mention and have good taste in what you read.

Cheers

PuRe AnGeL
02-27-2008, 09:17 PM
Textbooks,

Same. :down:

Nick
02-28-2008, 12:25 AM
The whole Shebang A state -of-the-universe(s) report
Timothy Ferris

and Universe illustrated encyclopedia

next one I buy :D

http://www.amazon.ca/National-Geographic-Visual-History-World/dp/0792236955

Caged Anger
02-28-2008, 04:30 AM
I'm thoroughly engrossed in...

I Am America, And So Can You! by Stephen Colbert

Suicidal
02-28-2008, 07:25 AM
That book...was awesome

Mr Clean
02-29-2008, 04:21 AM
Reading "Age of Turbulence" by former Federal Reserve Bank Chairman Alan Greenspan, a great read for anyone interested in what one of the great minds of today thinks about all things economics.

After that I am jumping into the alternate history of the Civil War written by Newt Gingrich and William Forstchen (Grant Comes East, Gettysburg, and Never Call Retreat). They are supposed to be quite good.

BTW, earlier this year I read "The Great Bridge" by David McCullough, a tremendous social historian. I plan on reading his "Johnstown Flood" later this year, it is also supposed to be a complete and compelling work.

Those are my recommendations!

SASQUATCH
02-29-2008, 04:54 AM
Reading "Age of Turbulence" by former Federal Reserve Bank Chairman Alan Greenspan, a great read for anyone interested in what one of the great minds of today thinks about all things economics.

After that I am jumping into the alternate history of the Civil War written by Newt Gingrich and William Forstchen (Grant Comes East, Gettysburg, and Never Call Retreat). They are supposed to be quite good.

BTW, earlier this year I read "The Great Bridge" by David McCullough, a tremendous social historian. I plan on reading his "Johnstown Flood" later this year, it is also supposed to be a complete and compelling work.

Those are my recommendations!

Thank you Mr.Clean I will write this down and read these books once I finish my selections of books and to thank everyone as well for I plan to read a few books that were posted at this thread.:thumbs:

Hammertime
03-04-2008, 03:03 AM
I'm reading The Nine. Its a pretty interesting book on the interworking of the Supreme Court.

Mad Fox
03-04-2008, 03:41 AM
Now that I am on vacation I have been reading: The Appeal by John Grishman

next is : Love by Benedict the XVI