PDA

View Full Version : *REVIEW*Acer P243w....pics & details inside

Grimmy
02-25-2008, 05:32 PM
Sorry about the delay, works been keeping my sleep schedule changing and not allowing me much at all.

Anyways, I picked up an Acer P243w from newegg and been playing around with it for the past couple weeks. My first thoughts, OMG this is freaking bright!!! I had to adjust the brightness of this screen way down, it came factory set at 85. I bumped it down to around 50 and that was way better, but still at times when I load a new page in IE, the white screen is still a little bright.

After adjusting the brightness, I adjusted my resolution to the suggested 1920x1200. Before doing that, icons looked really good, but you tell there was a slight amount of distrotion (circles looked a little oblong). After the adjustment, everything looked as it was suppose to. I opened up IE and checked a couple pages, to see what they looked like. First off I went to newegg. It looked just like it did with my old crt, but now I have edges where there is nothing but color, but I can see everything. Then I try GM, and everything is stretched from one side to the other. Some of the fonts are a little tough to read, so I tried zooming in on the page and bumping that to about 110%, but GM's page wouldn't shrink to size. Newegg looked great!! I guess it just depends on the site I go to.

Other then that, I have a ton more desktop space, room for more icons yea!

Then I fired up DAOC (I know, but I enjoy it still) and WOW!!!!! I couldn't see so much detail. It felt like I was playing a totally different game. Being able to see other characters eye color as they passed by was simply amazing! Although it's not a fps game, the graphics can more pretty quickly, and I saw none what so ever fading or anything, just nice, crisp, clean picture.

The only thing I don't like about this lovely lcd screen is that the way my desk is built and how I sit in the chair, I can't tip the monitor down far enough. I had to get a piece of wood to stick underneath the back part of the stand to get it to tip close to where I would like it. I don't see any fading on the edges surfing, doing normal desktop stuff, but I have noticed while in DAOC, the top is a little dark. If I move my head upa little, all the detail comes to life again. I guess I will either have to leave it, or take the little shelf off my desk and lose one drawer full of junk (needs to be thrown away anyways). Other then that, I'll have to build a small shelf for my center speaker of my Klipsch 5.1 surround sound system to sit on, behind the monitor.

I bought this from newegg, and as always from the egg, it was shipped very quickly, packaged well, and was exactly what is said it was.

I'd rate this lcd screen a 9 out of 10. I wish it would tilt a little more, but other then that, I think it's perfect!!!

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009125

Here are the current specs of this bad lcd screen:

Brand Acer
Model P243WAid
Cabinet Color Black-Silver
Display
Screen Size 24"
Widescreen Yes
Maximum Resolution 1920 x 1200
Recommended Resolution 1920 x 1200
Viewing Angle 160°(H) / 160°(V)
Pixel Pitch 0.27mm