PDA

View Full Version : How would you define the differences between knowledge and intelligence?

SASQUATCH
03-06-2008, 10:05 PM
I would not think that a person who has great memory is consider intelligent but more like a storage of information that was imprinted or learned, which to me is consider knowledgeable not intelligent.

Intelligence is when most of the time in deep thinking or quick decision is in a position, never before experience, and gets result, and the outcome of deep thinking and quick decisions.

I have had many conversations with many people in just about in all subjects but one that puzzle me most is when some begins lecturing me about history in which I am aware of because I have read it but never gives me his own outlook of his creative side of what he or she thinks.

This can be the most annoy part of a conversation with someone who is trying to impress others while lecturing me about history or any topic that I am aware, especially when asked what you think on the subject in hand. Many people are deceived by this and have always express by saying the individual is intelligent.

What are your thoughts?
Discuss…

Suicidal
03-06-2008, 10:51 PM
well i hate being first, but this ones neat :) And it leaves to less stealing of other ideas. lol

Well intelligence measures up to SOMEWHAT of an IQ. Its "smartness" in a way. YOu can recall information, use what you know AND common sense to work through dilemmas, get things done, manage time. Intelligence isn't restricted to "academics" in a way.

Knowldge is a lesser form of intellegence in a way. knowldge is just information. what you know. history, math, english, social studies, etc. There isn't much.

Id much rather be intelligable then knowldgeable, but they DO come hand in hand, and its hard to have one without the other

EXEcution
03-06-2008, 11:57 PM
Well knowledge is applied by means of an individual's intelligence. A person might know a lot but if they are not able to express their knowledge in a constructive way then you could say that that person lacks the means of applying their knowledge and is, therefore, unintelligent.

Intelligence is about being able to organize the knowledge you possess, mix in your own thoughts and use it when you need to. A person may not need to know much to begin with, but if they are able to use the knowledge that they have through rhetoric then you could consider that person to be intelligent.

There is an entire branch of philosophy that is concerned with understanding the nature of knowledge called epistemology. It's very interesting. Plato stated that knowledge stands between truth and belief and there are many other theories which work off of that.

A good example of knowledge would be the world wide web. You can find out pretty much anything online, it is a very large physical body of knowledge. However, a person needs to be intelligent to be able to understand whatever he or she is searching for on the web.

Knowledge is somewhat quantifiable and tangible as opposed to intelligence because it is harder to measure. I think that the more a person is exposed to a wide variety of knowledge the more intelligent he or she will become because they will be able to distinguish true knowledge from false knowledge more easily.

Also, there is a difference between knowing something and understanding it. To understand you need to be intelligent, to simply know you just need a good memory like SAS said.

SASQUATCH
03-07-2008, 05:55 AM
Thank you both, well said.

OUTLAWS high ping camper
03-07-2008, 12:06 PM
Knowledge: Knowing there is a Red Robin that sells $10.00 hamburgers.

Intelligence: Staying home and barbecuing your own hamburger. :)

Mr Clean
03-13-2008, 12:58 AM
LOL HPC

Knowledge and intelligence are not seperate entities. You need one for the other, and the learning process is the end result of these two concepts in real world interaction...