PDA

View Full Version : What is the objective?

OUTLAWS The Machine
02-22-2003, 09:49 PM
Tell me some more about Dark Age of Camelot?

SALvation
02-22-2003, 10:51 PM
I think there is no objective in DAOC. It's kinda like life. Make your own goals :D

OUTLAWS The Machine
02-22-2003, 10:55 PM
:hmmm: Kill everyone and take everything?

Mitchyl
02-22-2003, 11:00 PM
There are several objectives in the game and several different aspects to the game. I will try to quickly sum up 3 of them.

1. Player vs. Enemy (PvE)

This is where a player controlled character (like the ones seen in the screenshots) or several characters try to kill 'enemies' (otherwise known as mobs). I would say monsters, but some look like humans. This part is similar to Serious Sam, but the play is much slower pace and you have less control of your character (but cooler things you can do). One goal here is to get your character to level 50.

2. Realm vs. Realm (RvR)

this is where you go out into parts of the game that are free for all 3 realms (Albion, Hibernia and Midgard) can go and fight each other. The main difference between RvR and PvE is that in RvR, you are actually fighting other humans and therefore have to use significantly better strategies in order to stay alive. There are numerous goals in RvR, but a few of them are:

i. To take the most keeps -- whoever has control of the most keeps (castles) gets control of the best hunting spot in the game...a dungeon called Darkness Falls (DF).

ii. To get realm points -- each time you or someone in your group kills someone from another realm, you get realm points. At certain levels of realm points (25, 125, 325, etc.), you get realm skill points which you can use to buy new skills to help your chances both in PvE and RvR.

iii. To defend the realm -- I know...sounds sappy, but the idea behind the game is that you should defend your realm above all other costs.

3. Tradeskills

One last part of the game is called tradeskills. There are many trades: Armorcrafting (AC), Weaponcrafting (WC), Fletching (for arrows and staves), Alchemists (for potions), Spellcrafting (for adding magical properties to your items) and several others. In order to become skilled in these areas, you must make several hundred (if not thousand) items and spend a ton of cash to do it. The payoff is that when you get to higher levels, you can sell your goods and give good stuff to your guildmates at a low cost.

I hope most of that made sense. Understand that this game is very time-consuming and addictive. Wait....isn't that all computer games?? :)

Mitchyl/DE

OUTLAWS The Machine
02-23-2003, 02:29 AM
Sounds pretty cool. :cool:

::: DARK PSI :::
02-23-2003, 02:44 AM
Great another video game to get into. I need 5 of me. :drink:

MR. SLiK
02-23-2003, 04:12 AM
Try having ~40 games installed on your comp, I never know which one to play next :P

Intense Fury
02-23-2003, 04:19 AM
:hmmm: :hmmm: :hmmm: :hmmm: sounds kool

SALvation
02-23-2003, 06:07 AM
Yep. DAOC has a month fee around the $12/month neighborhood.

Drunken Warrior
02-23-2003, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by SALvation@Feb 23 2003, 04:07 AM
Yep. DAOC has a month fee around the $12/month neighborhood.
I heard that that is the direction all online gaming is going, including FPS games :bandhead: :bawling:

Fantum309
02-27-2003, 09:52 AM
I hope SS doesn't go in that direction! :down: