PDA

View Full Version : What do you think?

ME BIGGD01
04-18-2008, 01:04 PM
Ok so I am unsure if anyone is doing this already and if so hey let me know some of your experiences.

My main goal is called operation clean up. I have been so darn busy these days I have no time to do anything. I am behind work as well and just can't seeem to find the time to manage all of my systems at home. To be honest it justs eems to be a task to even check my e-mail as I am exhausted by the time i get home. I get home and look at everything as a complete mess.

What I am planning to do is design a system using Windows Server 2008 64 bit OS that will run as a the ultimate OS to run every other system I have run in the past. I plan to use VM_Ware and install multiple OS's and have them on different desktops. I plan to have Home Server running the media host, Windows XP Pro to do anything I need such as testing software, Winslow Vista just to run e-mail, quickbooks, wtc. I also may run a copy of Linux just to get use to it and learn more about it in case it actually moves forward further.

With this setup, I will just have 2 machines in one room. They will be server and entertainment Work Station. System will be a simple Quad core chip nothing fancy as all it really will be doing is acting as Multiple server Box. The hardware will be a basic board with raid 10 and a lot of storage. I am considering using 8 gigs of ram in it which is the reason I want to go for the 64bit OS.

I plan to push this setup and see what it going to happen as far as functionability. I see this as the big thing now in the server market but have not dipped in to it. I want to utilize one machine for everything and all work stations, laptops, media centers co, etc connect to different OS's from one box. It should be more efficient as well when it comes to security and routing.

Anyone else try this before or currently working on this kind of setup? Please post here and if you can give some useful tips I may need to consider.