PDA

View Full Version : Final Version XP SP3

Caged Anger
04-22-2008, 12:23 AM
Seems the final version will be available in Windows Update and the downloads sections come April 29th. I await eagerly :)

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3214173&SiteID=17

He Is Legend
04-22-2008, 03:34 PM
I better see a difference

BobtheCkroach
04-22-2008, 03:51 PM
You shouldn't.

This patch isn't really supposed to be anything more than a roll-up of all the small patches since SP2. No major performance/features are supposed to be included. A few small features that were included in Vista and are now being back-supported into XP, but nothing worth getting excited about.

Basically, this is just gonna make life easier next time you re-install. Instead of installing SP2 followed by 100 small hotfixes, you'll just install SP2, then SP3.

http://www.winsupersite.com/faq/xp_sp3.asp

He Is Legend
04-22-2008, 09:45 PM
Ah I see,

Thanks for the heads up bro

Caged Anger
04-23-2008, 11:58 AM
hey, I'll take that over the 112 updates waiting for the systems here at work every time we do a clean install...0_o

ME BIGGD01
04-24-2008, 05:26 PM
One thing this Service pack does is screws up your system if in case you need to uninstall the service pack. What I mean by that is if you already have all the updates and then install sp3, if you have a problem and need to uninstall sp3, it will uninstall all files that were in your system such as the .net and other updates you installed the sp3 installation. That may be fine but when you go to reinstall them regardless if you just plan to do the sp3 installation over agin you will see there will be windows updates that just don't want to install. Maybe they fixed it now but it has become a problem in their other releases. Also some driver installations looked for the Windows version and would not install with SP3. Wait until the clouds disappear before bothering.

Caged Anger
05-01-2008, 12:37 PM
none set

its available for download manually but its been pulled from mass push via winupdate

Caged Anger
05-06-2008, 08:06 PM
I'm seein it firsthand, XP Sp3 is finally in the wild being pushed on windows update.

GET SOME!!!! :D

ME BIGGD01
05-06-2008, 08:28 PM
Stop making Service pack 3 threads. What's wrong with you? The next thread you create with no input in my area I will just delete them. I am not being a prick either but your threads are not offering anything and appears to be spam.

Death Engineer
05-06-2008, 10:09 PM
I've been following all of this pretty closely. So you can imagine my surprise when I booted up my new development machine at work today (Q6600, 3GB ram, 500GB HD, ATI 2400 Pro, etc) and got the attached when running windows update.

EDIT: Hmm. It appears that my PNG was resized and converted to JPG. Sorry if it's not very clear. Basically, it was offering to install SP3 (I didn't).

FUS1ON
07-16-2008, 11:30 AM
Size: 66.9 MB - 316.4 MB

Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) is an update to Windows XP that addresses key feedback from our customers and is a cumulative update that includes all previously released updates for Windows XP, including security updates. Windows XP SP3 contains a small number of new updates and should not significantly change the Windows XP experience. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

More information for this update can be found at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936929

I got that Update popup this morning

Grimmy
07-16-2008, 09:08 PM
I got the pop up yesterday, but haven't installed it yet. Not sure if I should or will either. I seem to remember installing it on my vista machine and OMG, well I reformatted it shortly there after (it needed it anyways) but have not installed it since.

Bingo
07-16-2008, 11:56 PM
Yeah, I had this pop up today as well.

I also declined. NO THANK YOU!

Damn, where's a FAIL picture when you need one? Heh

Bingo
07-16-2008, 11:58 PM
This will work!

(I think this is the cool thing to do - post a picture of a cat with a quote on it - right?)

OUTLAWS Tip
07-17-2008, 01:52 AM
Well if it came it out in May, I got it in May and I haven't seen or had any problems.
:D

I just checked and I have all available updates.
:)