PDA

View Full Version : Sign The Save XP Petition

Caged Anger
04-25-2008, 12:37 PM
http://reg.itworld.com/servlet/Frs.frs?Context=LOGENTRY&Source=entdesk080102&Source_BC=13&Script=/LP/80276783/reg&

:thumbs: Pro Consumer Choice Please :thumbs:

Sirc
04-25-2008, 01:21 PM
From what I understand, XP SP3 (which will be available soon) removes the requirement for authentication. Has anyone else heard this?

ME BIGGD01
04-25-2008, 01:33 PM
What do you mean by authentication? Do you mean that it will not look to see if you have a valid key. What I mean by the question is have you heard you do not have to activate it?

From the latest release I have tested you had to do both. I have not tried the recent release but I doubt this Microsoft company will take that out as it is built into there new web browser as well.

Sirc
04-25-2008, 01:46 PM
Bleh, never mind. I can't find the article now. I probably just misread it.

BobtheCkroach
04-25-2008, 01:55 PM
I believe I know what you're referring to.

Previously, you couldn't install XP w/o providing the key on install - not authenticating it, necessarily, but at least providing it.

Now, like Vista, if you have an SP3 install CD, you can install without providing a CD key at all, and when your 30 days are up, you'll provide the key and authenticate it.

Caged Anger
04-25-2008, 03:22 PM
I believe I know what you're referring to.

Previously, you couldn't install XP w/o providing the key on install - not authenticating it, necessarily, but at least providing it.

Now, like Vista, if you have an SP3 install CD, you can install without providing a CD key at all, and when your 30 days are up, you'll provide the key and authenticate it.

Yea, but with this newfound freedom there is also the catch that microsoft will be tracking your hardware configuration more closely so if you change anything critical like the mobo, HDD, ect...likely to have issues