PDA

View Full Version : Disk Imaging Program

Bingo
05-07-2008, 11:20 PM
Howdy folks

I think my computer is really heading south quickly.

I've got a 250 gig USB external hard drive that I've got tons of room on.

I'd love to find an easy to use, preferably free, disk imaging program so I can just image my whole damn drive to the usb external.

As I understand imaging, that will basically just copy everything over to give me a functional 2nd version of my drive. The idea being that if my rig craps out, I can get a new drive, move the image from the usb backup drive to the new hard drive and just continue on as if nothing happened, right?

Thanks -

Bingo

ME BIGGD01
05-08-2008, 09:41 AM
Depending on what kind of drive you have, you can go to their website and download their drive utilities which has an image utility. I have a easy utility on a disk I will img for you that you can burn to a disk and just boot off of it. I will try to do that today for you and e-mail it. It's pretty small file and I use it all the time.

Grimmy
05-08-2008, 10:01 PM
Oh oh, send this way too Bigg! :)

Being that I have 3 desktops now, I wouldn't want to reformatt 2 of them and have to start over :(

Death Engineer
05-09-2008, 03:51 PM
If you're into buying a full functioned program, I would check out Acronis. It is hands down the best imaging program I have seen. We use it at work and it has never failed us. If you don't need a bunch of features, check out Ghost.

ME BIGGD01
05-10-2008, 08:07 PM
I need you guys to pm me an e-mail address that I can send you a preconfigured cd img that is less than 4mb. You will burn the nero img to a cd and boot off of it and you can do an disk to disk or disk to image or what ever. USB is already configured in this image so it should be pretty simple once you boot from the cd.