PDA

View Full Version : The new cards are out

ME BIGGD01
06-23-2008, 07:51 AM
I must say for this price and the performance you can not beat this deal.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121253&nm_mc=OTC-pr1c3grabb3r&cm_mmc=OTC-pr1c3grabb3r-_-Video+Cards-_-ASUS-_-14121253

Most brands are 199.00.

I am waiting for the 4870 card to be released to see hwat it offers in performance. Suppose to have ddr5 which will be suited for crossfire mainly when it comes to bandwidth. The price of those cards will run around 330. but most likely will come doen because nvidia has no choice to lower its prices now.

Once I see reviews on the performance I may get either the 4850 or the 4870. I have read you are able to mix these cards with the 38x series and depending how that does it may be a good investment for 38x owners.

ME BIGGD01
06-23-2008, 08:06 AM
I forgot to mention...

There is a lot of talk about physics on the video cards. I am really not too crazy about it or consider it hype atleast for another 2 years. I would say it is equal to the hype of 64 bit. It has a lot of potential if used and software is written for it but until that happens there will be newer generations of hardware to come out.

Anyway, Nvidia does offer this for their recent released cards and will also release it for the 8x series in July or August.

If you own a Nvidia card now in a 8 or 9 series, you will be able to download the exe when it is available.

Now ATI has the ability to use either of the physics engines and has decided to partner with Intel instead of Nvidia because Nvidia wanted AMD/ATI to adopt Cuda. Having go with Intel could really hurt Nvidia due to that Intels new Video chipsets and AMD's Video chipsets will go against Nvidia's Video chipsets. Add that Havok's physics will utilize both cpu and gpu and have the support from the two ony cpu makers that matter, Nvidia will be up Shits creek when vendors opt to support one over the other.

Currently Intel is kicking ass with it's cpu's but their chipsets also make AMD money because they support crossfire which means people will buy ATI brand just for that. We must not forget why AMD had to buy ATI because the future will be cpu/gpu based in one piece of hardware. Nvidia wants to claim that the GPU is more important and has gone on record saying the cpu is dead but that is really a foolish statement and in a year or two you will have both cpu/gpu in one piece of hardware.

Nvidia recently partnered with Via and although VIA has some great hardware for certain things such as appliances but for heavy hitting, Nvidia better figure out something else or I suggest if you own their stock get rid of it.

He Is Legend
06-23-2008, 01:08 PM
I'll have mine within 3 weeks, if anyone has one before hand, let me know how it runs :P

OUTLAWS high ping camper
06-23-2008, 02:49 PM
I can't believe how low the prices are now, the last card I bought was over $400!
Thanks for the heads up Mr Bigg. :thumbs:

ME BIGGD01
06-24-2008, 07:05 PM
I just heard they were releasing the 4870x2 sooner than they said. I would say mid July you will be able to get one of these.

Now I would hold off and see if the 3870 cards you have will work just as well with a 4870. This is what I am interested in. I want to see the difference in the scores when the sites get their hands on them and run multiple configurations. I for one am not happy with the crossfire support in games right now but having the ability to take advantage of it in the future is what is good. I won't waste my money on an x2 card just yet. It's too soon and if you are getting over the avg fps ingame now than at that point anything more is just bragging rights. With this economy, I would say save your money and get what you need.

ME BIGGD01
06-28-2008, 01:58 PM
Here is a great review of the 4870

http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-4870-review--asus/1

Now they also have the 4850 in there as well.

I would say this card is a winner in all areas.

If you are familiar with ATI, you will know that when it comes to quality on the screen, they are again the champ with including HDMI to a HD set. Even the integrated boards have this so one cable to a 300 dollar pc media center and you are set to go.

JIMINATOR
06-28-2008, 07:15 PM
yeah, amd hit one out of the park with this card, they have done so many things right with the technology, they have pretty much knocked nvidia on their ass.

He Is Legend
06-29-2008, 12:09 AM
yeah, amd hit one out of the park with this card, they have done so many things right with the technology, they have pretty much knocked nvidia on their ass.

ya damn right jimbo

ME BIGGD01
07-03-2008, 05:14 AM
I am hearing that Nvidia is having a lot of problems that may have to do with all integrated chips and chipsets. This is a big deal and I am waiting on mor einfo before I post.