PDA

View Full Version : Warhammer open beta and release

Sepra
08-06-2008, 10:33 PM
EA PREPARES FOR WAR AND ANNOUNCES SHIP DATE FOR
WARHAMMER® ONLINE: AGE OF RECKONING™

Mythic Entertainment Declares September 18, 2008 a "Day of Reckoning"

FAIRFAX, Va. - August 5, 2008 - Hot on the heels of spectacular showings at E3 and Comic-Con, Mythic Entertainment, an Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: ERTS) studio, today announced that fans will be able to enter the gritty fantasy world of Warhammer® Online: Age of Reckoning™ (WAR) on September 18th, 2008 when the highly-anticipated MMORPG goes live. After three years in development by Virginia-based Mythic Entertainment, WAR will open its North American, European and Oceanic servers and offer players a variety of flexible subscription options. Gamers who pre-order WAR in North American will enjoy special benefits including open beta admission, a live game head start, and bonus in-game items.

Based on Games Workshop's epic and longstanding tabletop fantasy war game, WAR is a unique MMORPG that features revolutionary Realm vs. Realm™ (RvR) gameplay that will immerse players in a world of perpetual conflict for years to come. WAR has been recognized for its unique play style that appeals to novice MMO players while offering incredible depth for more seasoned players.

Consumer demand for WAR is mounting with all units of the game's Collector's Edition having been pre-sold in North America. In addition, the title is receiving significant media attention, picking up numerous critic awards at this year's E3, including "Best PC Game" from G4's XPlay, "Best MMO" from IGN and Voodoo Extreme, and "Top 10 PC Game" from Gamespy, as well as being nominated for the prestigious Game Critic's Awards "Best PC Game".

"The countdown has officially begun. Mark your calendars! September 18th is the Day of Reckoning," said Mark Jacobs, founder and general manager of Mythic Entertainment. "For the last three years, the entire team at Mythic has poured their hearts into making Warhammer Online the next great MMORPG. We are so excited to open up this world and share it with the fans that will live in it, quest in it, go to war in it and make it come alive."

Fans looking forward to laying siege to their enemy's capital city will have several pricing options available, beginning with a $14.99 monthly subscription. Additionally, collectible 30- and 60-day prepaid Game Time™ Cards will be available at many game retailers. WAR subscription options include:
Monthly Subscription: $14.99 USD
3-Month Subscription: $41.97 ($13.99 per month)
6-Month Subscription: $77.94 ($12.99 per month)

Players can now pre-order their copy of WAR to secure their spots on the frontlines with a special pre-order package that includes:
Open beta admission: Pre-order customers can experience the glory of battle and the thrill of WAR by participating in the open beta test.
Head Start program: Players can begin their adventures in the Age of Reckoning before the game's official launch.
Bonus in-game items: Players can equip their characters with two bonus in-game items by pre-ordering from select retail partners.
Universal Fighting System™ Battle Deck: The Emperor Karl Franz and Tchar'zanek, dread Champion of Tzeentch, go head-to-head in this exclusive collectible card game from Fantasy Flight Games. (Available in a limited supply from select retailers.)

WAR PRE-ORDER BENEFITS INCLUDE:

OPEN BETA ACCESS
Experience the glory of battle and the thrill of WAR before the game goes live.

The Open Beta will be level capped and content restricted. You will be allowed to choose any of the game's 20 unique careers and advance through rank 20. You will also be free to explore and battle across Tiers 1 and 2 of each army's homeland. Please note that any characters created during the Open Beta will NOT carry over into the live game as they will be wiped from the servers.

To register for Open Beta:
After August 15, 2008 visit the Mythic Entertainment Account Management website.
Create a new Warhammer Online game account.
When prompted, enter your Open Beta code.
Your Open Beta code can be found on the card in your pre-order box or in your pre-order confirmation email. Open Beta files will be available for download on August 15th. Stay tuned for more details.

OZZYOGRE
08-09-2008, 06:30 PM
Long time no see....I've been out of gaming now for a while but I got the itch with this new game coming out. Would love to play with everyone again. Email me at asumobius@gmail.com or post here which server side what not you are gonna play on so I can join you

OUTLAWS DirtGod
08-12-2008, 11:08 PM
im going to look into this

SASQUATCH
08-22-2008, 02:09 PM
The game is looking much better and they did however made a few changes that I was pleased with but over all this game will take off nicely.

The only problem is I don't have time like I use to and this game will be very much like DAOC where you be sitting on your as* for hours playing this game and I don't have the time for it anymore and not going to spend hours playing this game while I see my life go pass me. LOL

I was asked to play with my old friends that I use to play DAOC and they are getting ready to play this game but again it can be time consuming to play this type of game and I just don't want to fall behind with other activities that I do and especially sitting on my as* and not getting the exercise that is needed to maintain my weight because once you begin playing this game for long hours you will start to get over weight and your health goes out the door but most importantly your social life and not seeing sun light. LOL

Mr Clean
08-24-2008, 04:46 PM
I pre-ordered this baby. I've been out of the MMO action for too long now.

I guess the question to ask is: Anyone else from here playing, and if so do you know what kind of character? I enjoyed the Guild with all the GameMecca folks in DAOC, kinda hope that happens again with this game...

Grimmy
08-24-2008, 04:50 PM
I will be picking this up, but not sure what server, realm yet.

I just preordered :)

Mr Clean
08-24-2008, 11:04 PM
I emailed Ozzy, he knows a guy who is starting a guild. No idea on the class though...

At this point I think I am leaning towards Chaos....maybe Dark Elf...

PJ'l_Master
08-26-2008, 10:50 PM
yea, i'd like to get in on a GM guild myself

ME BIGGD01
09-01-2008, 11:42 AM
SO what's the game look like so far? How's it playing and are there any problems that may delay the release? I keep hearing it's a new WoW look a like but has anyone actually played the beta? What's the goods and bads so far? I know a lot of people from AOC are looking into this game but that could be just frustration from the F'd up patches from Funcom. I amy consider this game if the PVP patch is not released along with the OOM errors which really piss me off. AOC is so fun but the little things end up pissing a person off.

So is this game better than DAOC?
When is the release date?
WHat are known bugs happening to those playing beta?
Is there PVP?
Is this game from MYthic or EA? (I hope Mythic or I am forced to pass)
What would you rate this game to?

Thanks for anyone who responds.

PJ'l_Master
09-01-2008, 02:06 PM
i know sepra has been playing in the closed beta for quite a while, so she can answer the questions better for you.

the only one i can answer is that, there IS pvp. the entire game IS PvP, from the first level, to the last. you actually level through PvP, however you can also level using PvE, last i knew they were planning to have seperate PvP and PvE sections in each zone so the player would have a choice, but in the end, the entire point of the game is PVP

Sepra
09-02-2008, 03:32 PM
SO what's the game look like so far? - look like as in? Coming from DAOC, it looks a hell of a lot better.

How's it playing and are there any problems that may delay the release?

- It doesn't look like anything is going to postpone release

I keep hearing it's a new WoW look a like but has anyone actually played the beta? - WAR is nothing like WoW. Thier questing system is up to par with WoW, but the game dynamics have no similarities.

What's the goods and bads so far? - Hmm so many goods. The game has been very strong even through the glitches and kinks that have been tested and worked on in beta.

So is this game better than DAOC? - Yes, DAOC pretty much sucks. It was awesome in it's day because it was unique and one of a kind as far as PvP, but in comparison to the ideas of rps now, it's pretty bad......

When is the release date? - Sept. 18th

WHat are known bugs happening to those playing beta? -nothing big or detrimental.

Is there PVP? - the game IS PvP From the moment you create your character, you have the option to PvP. You can level up PvEing, PvPing or a combo of both. You have the option of PvP flagging yourself while PvEing, joining PvP scenarios or entering your tier 'battleground' area. But essentially, every move you make benefits your realms end game and capital city. Every quest a lowbie does, every public quest they complete, every scenario and every control point taken flows up your captial city to help your realms PvP end game.

Is this game from MYthic or EA? - Mythic hasn't been 'Mythic' for quite some time now. They merged with EA and have been known as EA/Mythic. DAOC has been EA/Mythic for like a year? EA is basically Mythics pocketbook.

What would you rate this game to? It's a great mixture of WoW's amazing PvE questing system and DAOC's PvP driven goal.

For anyone that buys and plays the game. Two words for you when leveling up. Public Quests! When you enter each chapter, be sure to find them and gain all three tiers of influence before you move on to the next chapter. It's well worth it and a great thing to break up questing.

Sepra
09-02-2008, 03:36 PM
There have been many video releases since this really old thread but these kind of sum up the the core structure of the game.

http://gamemecca.net/forums/showthread.php?t=83055

Sepra
09-02-2008, 04:04 PM
Ok, I tried to dig down a little and get some of the updated podcasts from the newsletters, but the links have changed for them. This is all I came up with.

Updated RvR info
http://mythicmktg.fileburst.com/war/us/media/flash/pp_RvR-Changes_BR1000.html

http://mythicmktg.fileburst.com/war/us/home/flash/2008-07_podcast.html

You can go on the warhammer online herald and look in thier podcast archive for all the info.

I have been in beta since the beginning and although I've been seriously pumped for the release of WAR, I've decided to stop gaming while I'm in a gaming 'lull', so I won't be playing the game. (I've just made this decision in the past week) :( I do however recommend it to those who are interested. No game is perfect at release and games evolve with each expansion, but I feel confident with the content that WAR is starting off with.

Mr Clean
09-02-2008, 04:17 PM
Sep, do I understand right that you aren't going to play War when it comes out? Or are you only taking a break until the Sept 19th release date?

Thanks for the links BTW.

Sepra
09-02-2008, 08:09 PM
You understand correctly. Here are my reasons behind my whole decision.

I'm a very competitive person. As many of you know and experienced from being my guildie in OoD, that when competition arises it becomes my focus. Hence the guild drama of our 8man team. I've been playing for the past year and a half (?) with some old Igraine hibs and mids on classic who are like minded and had planned on going to WAR as a competitive unit (how fun!!). Now see as we had been playing DAOC it's become more of a relaxed/competitive gameplay because the game is pretty much dead with no goals, but as more of my guildies got beta invites I could feel the competitiveness come back. I'm not so sure if I want to even go there again...... For me competition = obsession and obsession in any form isn't healthy so I've recently made the decision to retire from my gaming and fully concentrate on my family. With all kids in school this year, and me hoping to get out of full time 'housewife mode', I really dont need any obsessions getting in the way. It was an extremely hard decision because gaming is my nightime hobby and I've sooo been looking forward to WAR release but I truly believe it's the best decision for me. And what better time to cut the cord between one game dwindling and a new one starting, right?

OUTLAWS WHOCARES
09-03-2008, 01:47 AM
Good Choice Sep!

I'm going to play Warhammer, but limiting myself to no more than 1 hour an evening, after the kids go to bed. If that doesn't work, I'll cancel the account.

That's why I enjoy TF2, I can play 10min, 30min or an hour and quit at any time.

\
I simply can't bring myself to play it. I am far too busy too invest the time needed. I run 2 shops now. Have a nasty new fish hobbie, 2 cats and a GF. (she might as well be my wife but I am a man and she still has plenty of body parts for diamonds other than a finger)

Mr Clean
09-03-2008, 01:12 PM
I completely understand Sep, that is why I dropped DAOC when I did. I needed the break. You will be missed in Warhammer because you are a great gamer (and I enjoyed your Boston accent on Teamspeak). Whenever you feel you can come back you will always be welcome to join us.

I'm with you Term, I am not going hog wild on this one either. I will play to enjoy and do what I can in a limited amount of time...

Got my pre-order code today from BestBuy.com for the pre-order goodies, will have to check that out this weekend maybe...

ME BIGGD01
09-03-2008, 04:14 PM
Thanks for responding Sep. As you know I have been playing AOC which I do enjoy but many times frustrated with the lack of supprt from Funcom and bugs and patches takibg so long to be fixed. At the present time one of my classes is still broken where many of the feats are not working and it makes the class the gimpest of the bunch. I have started another class and I enjoy it much more but then the usual bug happens every now and then and gotta relog.

Now AOC has lost a lot of players due to Funcoms inability to do the right thing. They are working on stuff but as many say it's too little too late but being honest I have to say I really still enjoy the game. The graphics are good despite not using dx10 which again another lie from Funcon. I love the mortal combat style finishes when they happen which is unique.

I have canceled my account this next month and will not renew if the PVP patch is not done and the grey maps do not go away along with oom errors. As much as I like the game I will give it up and may just try Warhammer.

I am sceptical regarding the cartoonish look. I am just not into that and I wonder if there will some sort of effect regarding the speed when pvp'ing or grinding. I am a point where I just give up the MMO experiences and go back to FPS type shooters. I myself am very competitive also and want to be able to compete and pay back those who have once killed me. To say the least I am looking for action more than story line. I do not want to imagine myself as some dwarf that has powers but show I am there to fight and kill. At the same time unlike AOC who fails to make the right balances between classes, I want no one to have an advantage over the other due to class and all skill earned.

Would you say War can make me happy?

Also can you post some screen shots of the game, in game?
Thanks.

Death Engineer
09-03-2008, 04:33 PM
(she might as well be my wife but I am a man and she still has plenty of body parts for diamonds other than a finger)

(Off Topic) Are you saying your GF doesn't have fingers? ;)

Sepra
09-03-2008, 08:30 PM
Would you say War can make me happy?

Also can you post some screen shots of the game, in game?
Thanks.

Make you happy......I honestly can't really answer that. I read your post, but how high are you expectations? What's been good as far as balance in beta could be different once you start turning the tides and flooding the servrers with the public. Once the servers are jam packed and you're in full scale Teir 5 mayhem will there be balance issues there when you get quantity of certain classes? Beta is very different as far as really testing with a massive quantity of players. I can however say that they've been really prompt and eager to listen and improve what we've been telling them as far as feedback, so if things aren't right I feel that they'd fix it what's needed. Whatever was said on the boards was really taken to heart. Hell, the last launch date got squashed to change the game to be in par with testers feedback. They could have easily just released, or 1/2 fixed it, but they really took a huge hit in setting the game back to get it right. (as far as those specific major changes that needed to be done at that time. Too many to go into detail atm, plus I'm lazy lol)

I've uninstalled my beta account so I can't log in to get any screenshots, but here's a link of some from the herald. http://www.warhammeronline.com/screenshots/index.php
For me graphics had never been an issue. My order of importance was solid PvP > gameplay > character creation > end game goal > graphics.

ME BIGGD01
09-03-2008, 10:00 PM
Considering the did set it back is one thing that proves to me they actually care. Unlike Funcom who releases somthing that is not even finished. I have heard that thye have been listening to the users which is probably the best any company could do. I will hold off and see what happeneds when it's released. I will check back at all of the feed back from you all.

And thanks again Sepra:thumbs:

OUTLAWS WHOCARES
09-04-2008, 12:36 AM
(Off Topic) Are you saying your GF doesn't have fingers? ;)

I am very sacared of getting married. I will not be having any kids. I will be getting myself snipped on Moday.

Grimmy
09-04-2008, 02:57 AM
I am very sacared of getting married. I will not be having any kids. I will be getting myself snipped on Moday.

So D day for you is on monday eh? ouchy!!!

Death Engineer
09-04-2008, 05:09 AM
This is perhaps not the forum, but I'd like to hear more about why you are scared of marriage and don't want kids. Just curious as a married guy with 3 kids. :P

Mr Clean
09-04-2008, 04:53 PM
BIGG I have heard mostly good comments about the game. At another board there was a huge discussion about which side to play because most of the "experienced" players want the challenge of playing against superior odds (and also because they don't want noobs on their team :P ). AoC players have not been happy for a lot of the reasons you just mentioned. In fact, delaying the release of War to fix some things (and AoC being released inthe meantime) might work out for the best for Mythic given the general unhappiness of AoC players who are ready for something better...

I hope you try War out dude.

Saretta
09-05-2008, 11:18 AM
I will definatelly play WAR, but on the European servers, so I won't meet you all in game.
For me it will mean more fun playing since the highest action is during my evening and not like in DAoC in the middle of the night.

Would be nice if we still could exchange experiences and tips and tricks :)

ME BIGGD01
09-05-2008, 03:00 PM
BIGG I have heard mostly good comments about the game. At another board there was a huge discussion about which side to play because most of the "experienced" players want the challenge of playing against superior odds (and also because they don't want noobs on their team :P ). AoC players have not been happy for a lot of the reasons you just mentioned. In fact, delaying the release of War to fix some things (and AoC being released inthe meantime) might work out for the best for Mythic given the general unhappiness of AoC players who are ready for something better...

I hope you try War out dude.

It will be something to see how the new pvp patch makes or breaks the game of AOC. They have been fixing some things but their is no communication. What people say on the AOC boards is wait until it's released and then comment because half the problems will only show now. TO be honest the only thing that holds me back from War is that EA which is a company I hate and their practices are disgusting. I do enjoy AOC but the little glithces have been a pain in the arse when you get knocked to desktop and have to log back in to find yourself dead. For some reason though I have not had a grey map in a few days and wonder if they finally fixed that. I finally started another toon "Bear Shamon" and really enjoyplaying it and PVP'ing with it. My first toon a Dark Templar has been and still is a gimped PVP class which Funcom has yet to address. I guess we'll see what happends after patch.

WHen does the game go live?

Sepra
09-05-2008, 03:19 PM
[I]When is the release date? - Sept. 18th

Mr Clean
09-05-2008, 08:36 PM
I will definatelly play WAR, but on the European servers, so I won't meet you all in game.
For me it will mean more fun playing since the highest action is during my evening and not like in DAoC in the middle of the night.

Would be nice if we still could exchange experiences and tips and tricks :)

No Bain in War? That's a bummer, but you bet we will still talk and exchange info!

BIGG: EA is part Mythic now, so look at it as Mythic and not EA :)

ME BIGGD01
09-06-2008, 06:27 AM
September 18th? Wow that's funny and probably the reason Funcom has been pushing the patch for September 10th. If all else fails I will just buy the damn game and check it out. It won't be the first time having to pay a company I dislike.

BobtheCkroach
09-06-2008, 04:28 PM
September 18th? Wow that's funny and probably the reason Funcom has been pushing the patch for September 10th. If all else fails I will just buy the damn game and check it out. It won't be the first time having to pay a company I dislike.

WoW has a new expansion coming out in November, but a pre-release patch coming out "in the new few weeks" - most folks are guessing it'll drop September 16th, for the exact same reason.

ME BIGGD01
09-06-2008, 05:53 PM
The thing about WOW is that people have been a part of that game for so long and will most likely try other MMO's out. They are so large and people have been part of it so long they can pretty much not worry about people quitting their accounts due to the time they put in to that game. No matter what they are always in a win win.

BobtheCkroach
09-06-2008, 06:58 PM
Very true. They estimated that within a month, 40% of the folks that left for AoC returned.

Saretta
09-08-2008, 09:41 AM
No Bain in War? That's a bummer, but you bet we will still talk and exchange info!

Blame Mythic and their silly rule that Europeans should only play on the GOA servers and not on the good old US Mythic ones.

Dunno, if you heard about the Open Beta start in Europe.... Geeze, they really messed up there and I nearly lost my patience yesterday :bawling:

I really hope that will get better, its no fun at the moment.

Mr Clean
09-08-2008, 03:57 PM
Blame Mythic and their silly rule that Europeans should only play on the GOA servers and not on the good old US Mythic ones.

Dunno, if you heard about the Open Beta start in Europe.... Geeze, they really messed up there and I nearly lost my patience yesterday :bawling:

I really hope that will get better, its no fun at the moment.

Yeah I can't believe the server rules on this. Having the various European players (Bain, Sauron, Orange Haze, Ada, etc.) is part of what made DAOC so great.

I read something yesterday about the Euro beta...LOL what a wreck!

Grimmy
09-08-2008, 09:10 PM
What happened with the Euro servers? I haven't heard anything yet, just got home from work.

Oh, I am playing on the server Forest of Shadows, Order for those of you wondering. Playing a wizard, named Hiper. :)

PJ'l_Master
09-15-2008, 10:39 PM
so is everyone going to the same server as grimmy? i havent seen anyone say anything different.

Grimmy
09-15-2008, 11:44 PM
That was open beta, that server isn't available anymore. I believe the game is open to CE orders, and pre orders starting tomorrow. Not quite sure which server I will be on yet, thinking Badlands server, Order, but that could change.