PDA

View Full Version : router help

OUTLAWS Jag
02-23-2003, 04:51 PM
I have just purchased a Linksys router with built in firewall but I cannot host servers. Someone told me I need to open the ports and was wondering if someone knew what ports I need to open. I mostly play SSSE and will soon be playing UT. Any and all help would be appreciated. Thanks :bandhead: :bandhead:

OUTLAWS The Machine
02-23-2003, 05:13 PM
Never figured mine out. :bandhead:

You can always just bypass it if you need to host a game. Just unplug from your router and plug straight into your modem.

OUTLAWS Behind You?
02-23-2003, 07:37 PM
Your lucky, I also bought a LinkSys Router yesterday. I got my server working on my first attempt. :oooo: I will have to use four replies to get the graphics uploaded. Also, I had to crop the graphics down to get below the size limitation.

First, open your router's configuration page. This is done by using your browser and address 192.168.1.1, You will have to supply a password. The default is "admin" (without the quotes and in lower case.) Important you change the default password.

The top of the page will look like this. Click "Advanced."

OUTLAWS Behind You?
02-23-2003, 07:40 PM
This page should appear. Click "Forwarding."

Dissectional
02-23-2003, 07:44 PM
Or you can just put your PC in the DMZ although this is dangerous

OUTLAWS Behind You?
02-23-2003, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by Dissectional@Feb 23 2003, 01:44 PM
Or you can just put your PC in the DMZ although this is dangerous
Dangerous and not necessary. This way is save. :thumbs:

OUTLAWS Behind You?
02-23-2003, 07:52 PM
This will be a bigger page than this display. Click "Port Range Forwarding."

OUTLAWS Behind You?
02-23-2003, 07:57 PM
And finally the page you will alter.

In "Customized Application," put anything you want for a description.

In the "Ext. Port," put the port number you told SS:SE to use and the second port number is that number plus 1.

Click both "Protocol TCP" and "Protocol UDP."

The IP address is the address of the PC that you will run your server.

Click "Enable."

Click "Apply."

And your done.

OUTLAWS Behind You?
02-23-2003, 08:01 PM
Whew, that took a bit :P Let me know if this works. :thumbs:

FASTway
02-23-2003, 08:05 PM
Thx,

I have been meaning to do that.
I have a Linksys router as well.

OUTLAWS Behind You?
02-23-2003, 09:12 PM
The grandkids gave me a gift certificate for Fry's, so I decided to use it to get a router. I have been using ICS with my PC as the gateway for several years now. I just thought I would stop Devilish from screaming obsentities at me everytime I re-booted. :angel: :oooo: :thumbs:

FASTway
02-23-2003, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by OUTLAWS Behind You?@Feb 23 2003, 01:12 PM
The grandkids gave me a gift certificate for Fry's, so I decided to use it to get a router. I have been using ICS with my PC as the gateway for several years now. I just thought I would stop Devilish from screaming obsentities at me everytime I re-booted. :angel: :oooo: :thumbs:
I have the Linksys wireless router with 4 port switch.
The laptop works great with the 802.11b wireless protocol. :cool:

OUTLAWS Jag
02-24-2003, 03:27 AM
Behind You.. You are the man! It works great. Thank you very much for going through so much trouble to help me out. :wootrock: