PDA

View Full Version : Google Chrome

Pure_Evil
09-02-2008, 11:21 AM
I heard it was released but only for a couple hrs, beta. Anyone grab it?

The browser, which should be available for download sometime today, offers a tab bar above the address bar. It lets you fire up Web apps without the toolbar and menus. And, there are thumbnails that show recently visited sites. At first glance, the free browser appears to offer nothing new.

BobtheCkroach
09-02-2008, 01:43 PM
I hadn't heard about this, but I'll be watching for it now.

There are a lot of very cool ideas in this thing, it sounds like.

Asian Invasian
09-02-2008, 04:13 PM
Ill check it out but i doubt its better than opera.

BobtheCkroach
09-02-2008, 04:16 PM
lol. opera.

True multi-threading has incredible potential. Everything I read sounds very exciting. Chrome sounds exciting.

Right off the bat, though, I have the same basic complaint about it that I do about firefox. It looks like a toy. It's all cartoony, and goofy and not professional. I don't like that. I want something professional looking. My browser isn't supposed to be "fun", it's just supposed to work. The pages I load may or may not look or be "fun", but I want the browser to be professional. Hopefully I can skin it to not look like that.

Which is weird, because I love vista for having an artistic flair. I guess it's just the cartoony nature of FF/Chrome that I don't care for. Who knows.

BobtheCkroach
09-02-2008, 07:01 PM
http://www.google.com/chrome

It's out now. Browsing GM on it as we speak.

Bingo
09-02-2008, 10:21 PM
But one thing leaves me at wtf, either im a complete noob or something but i cant find an option to set a homepage :(

Yes, you're a complete n00b. lol

Serously though, I got lucky.

On the right side after the address bar is a little wrench.

Click the wrench, then click Options. Under the Basic tab are 2 settings - one to set a homepage and one to set several pages to all open at once when you start up. Cool option! Now when I start up my browser I can have GameMecca open on the left side and that awesome picture of Martha Stewart telling me how hot I am on the right side. Woo!

Bingo
09-02-2008, 10:22 PM
Ouch!

Already found one thing I REALLY don't like -

no mouse-scroll wheel clicking to rapidly scroll up and down a page. Bad Google! Bad!

Bingo
09-02-2008, 10:23 PM
Errr. And how does someone make a browser without a stupidly obvious HOME button??

Bingo
09-03-2008, 12:24 AM
Noob! Go to your wrench/options/home page, click the show homepage button.

Yeah well yer an even worse n00b for not reading ahead and realizing I already both used that insult and posted the same answer.

jerknoob

:P

BobtheCkroach
09-03-2008, 01:15 AM
This browser absolutely flies....seems to be double the speed of IE...will definitely be my browser of choice until I find something undesirable.

I've been told that IE8 moves a lot faster, but this is definitely fast.

It will take me some time - not everything renders correctly (starting with the site that I'm working on...), but overall it's starting to grow on me.

Pure_Evil
09-03-2008, 04:41 AM
same issues as FF3, can't view some message boards :down:

Death Engineer
09-03-2008, 10:00 PM
What about FF looks cartoony? Have you looked at FF3? It's not the same browser it was a year or 2 ago. It is MUCH faster than IE7 and well worth trying if you haven't already.

On topic: I haven't tried Chrome yet, but I'm not sure that I have a reason to. I generally just keep one tab open. It seems like most of their features are aimed at the multiple Tab open kind of user.

BobtheCkroach
09-03-2008, 10:56 PM
I don't know how to put it, I guess. I don't like the style of it, i guess. I guess now that I look at it, FF3 final does look different even than the FF3 beta I tried, and it's better, but it still just doesn't click with me.

I guess if I'm quite honest, I don't like it because it's not IE. I don't want to re-invent the wheel. I don't have a problem with IE. I never have. FF doesn't offer me anything that I can't do with IE, at least that I want to. I'm familiar and comfortable with how IE is laid out, and with what it does. I like it's style, I dislike FF's.

Iunno. I certainly wouldn't deny that part of it is that i'm just stubborn. But everytime someone tells me all the plusses to using FF, none of it really affects/interests me.

Wiper
09-04-2008, 06:39 AM
Rofl, a dutch artical already talked about crashing of the browser,know it's still beta though there is more behind it. Since Chrome is based on an old version of Safari the same errors appear. The article said that some links causes the browser to crash (not have to click it just moving over it).

Anywayz, I'm a FF user and will be for a long time if they keep on the good work :thumbs:

Death Engineer
09-04-2008, 10:40 PM
http://www.dailytech.com/Google+Removes+Big+Brother+Clause+in+Chromes+EULA/article12856.htm

He Is Legend
09-05-2008, 03:28 PM
Yeah it's in beta, you're going to find bugs here and there.

But other than that, this shits bad ass yo.

Goober
09-06-2008, 01:41 AM
Looks like it's as prone to exploits as any other browser.
Critical bug! (http://www.crn.com/security/210500382)

Pure_Evil
09-07-2008, 02:51 AM
well, it's beta, so bugs galore! But maaan, it's fast! Only thing I don't like is it wont import from FF. I've been trying Opera for a few weeks and...well...:down: it's just lacking

Pure_Evil
11-14-2009, 12:20 AM
OK, it's been a year, anyone still using this? Pro & cons? Windows 7 users?

I'd like to see how this is doing, especially with Google Wave coming up!

Bingo
11-14-2009, 04:06 AM
I've used Chrome again now whenever I go into Wave but other than that, I just stuck with IE since it's what I'm used to.

Honestly I don't really see a difference with the way I use a browser.

Pure_Evil
11-14-2009, 06:24 PM
I will say for my netbook, I like it because there's less clutter taking up my little screen.

I will also say, it's wicked fast compared to FF & IE

Death Engineer
11-16-2009, 04:31 PM
In comparison testing javascript stuff for work, Chrome's performance was head and shoulders above FF (which far surpassed IE). Several guys at work use it everyday without many problems.

I'm sticking with FF as I enjoy the plug ins like Ad Block Plus and wouldn't know what to do without them. If you haven't tried FF with ABP, you should. It is an ad-freeing experience. :)

SASQUATCH
11-17-2009, 12:04 AM
In comparison testing javascript stuff for work, Chrome's performance was head and shoulders above FF (which far surpassed IE). Several guys at work use it everyday without many problems.

I'm sticking with FF as I enjoy the plug ins like Ad Block Plus and wouldn't know what to do without them. If you haven't tried FF with ABP, you should. It is an ad-freeing experience. :)

:thumbs:

Trying to tell this to GM forum is like beating up on a dead horse DE.
Most GM see things in black and white and way far behind.

SASQUATCH
11-17-2009, 01:32 AM
What do you mean ads? as in Pop-ups? I don't receive any type of pop-up ad spamming with Chrome.

In time be patience it will happen.:D

Pure_Evil
11-17-2009, 03:01 AM
What do you mean ads? as in Pop-ups? I don't receive any type of pop-up ad spamming with Chrome.
likewise, and I go to quite a few sites proan to nasties :P

Bingo
11-17-2009, 04:06 AM
:thumbs:

Trying to tell this to GM forum is like beating up on a dead horse DE.
Most GM see things in black and white and way far behind.

Err, what the hell are you basing this on? lol

So far everyone has been saying they use either FF or a mixture of IE, FF and Chrome.

Like me. I use all 3. IE happens to work great for me so it gets the most usage. I also can't remember the last time I've seen a popup from anywhere other than Snopes which gets nicely blocked anyways.

For sites that I'm unsure about or I just don't trust I use FF with the no-script plugin. But honestly I just don't visit that many sites that I need something like that. If the site is shady enough to run active content, it's pretty much a site that doesn't deserve my business anyways you know? Why keep visiting a place that's trying to screw up your stuff?

Oddly enough, I think most here tend to be pretty leading edge so I'm curious where you are getting your opinion from?

SASQUATCH
11-17-2009, 06:22 AM
Err, what the hell are you basing this on? lol

So far everyone has been saying they use either FF or a mixture of IE, FF and Chrome.

Like me. I use all 3. IE happens to work great for me so it gets the most usage. I also can't remember the last time I've seen a popup from anywhere other than Snopes which gets nicely blocked anyways.

For sites that I'm unsure about or I just don't trust I use FF with the no-script plugin. But honestly I just don't visit that many sites that I need something like that. If the site is shady enough to run active content, it's pretty much a site that doesn't deserve my business anyways you know? Why keep visiting a place that's trying to screw up your stuff?

Oddly enough, I think most here tend to be pretty leading edge so I'm curious where you are getting your opinion from?

Look at the Pros and Con's. Relax and take your medication please.

First Chrome is very fast and has a good future but FF has something I like a lot and that is there Add-ons and it takes up less ram usage, of course there are few other things but nothing worth talking about. It's too early to say anything about chrome because it still lack a few things and again it's still at it's infant. It's always best to look for it's bad points and of course good points but not with one article or forum or whatever but look through it throughout the internet. From a business prospective like for example Adobe, it's not good. Now there is more on that when it comes to business but that doesn't mean it's not going to do well and I am sure Chrome will do a few more changes in the coming years.

Now if I had to write something about it I would rather not because too much to write about it but there are a few good articles on this comparison and why chrome has a good future and from a business prospective.

Again I still will be using FF because it’s been around for a long time for me and of course I have given you a few good points about it and there are more but it doesn’t mean I will not use Chrome in the future but will wait and see for more upgrades on it and I have used it already and it’s fine but hoping to see more goodies when they implement more stuff to it.

Keep this in mind that nothing is safe from advertisement or pop-ups because eventually developers will find a way for business reasons and when it comes for business and money, it comes first. No one here is going to have me believe that the pop-ups are gone forever even if it’s Chrome or whatever it is, it will not stop because it’s part of the bread and butter of making money.

Death Engineer
11-17-2009, 11:52 PM
Case in point (see screenshots ... OF THIS PAGE!).

EDIT: I forgot that this forum does weird stuff with PNG files. Anyways, the left is Chrome with the ad showing. The right is FF with the Ad Block Plus plugin. It virtually eliminates the ads that you see while browsing.

On a very few occasions, I have had to disable as it had hidden something that wasn't an ad. I can count the number of times that has happened on one hand though and I've been using FF for over a year now.

SASQUATCH
11-18-2009, 12:24 AM
Case in point (see screenshots ... OF THIS PAGE!).

EDIT: I forgot that this forum does weird stuff with PNG files. Anyways, the left is Chrome with the ad showing. The right is FF with the Ad Block Plus plugin. It virtually eliminates the ads that you see while browsing.

On a very few occasions, I have had to disable as it had hidden something that wasn't an ad. I can count the number of times that has happened on one hand though and I've been using FF for over a year now.

DE I don't have Chrome install on this system anymore but I believe you can do the same with Chrome, not sure I might be wrong.

Bingo
11-18-2009, 02:34 AM
Hey, you're supposed to be clicking on those damn ads! :P

Death Engineer
11-18-2009, 03:17 AM
Hehe. Sorry man. I know that probably helps pay the bills. But I have to tell you that turning the ads off was a relief for me. It was like all the annoyances in my web browsing went away.

Pure_Evil
11-18-2009, 04:45 AM
DE I don't have Chrome install on this system anymore but I believe you can do the same with Chrome, not sure I might be wrong.

too bad you don't know how? I can't fathom that Chrome would offer that since it's add driven

SASQUATCH
11-18-2009, 12:36 PM
too bad you don't know how? I can't fathom that Chrome would offer that since it's add driven

Yes, yes I know I was lazy about looking it up and I do remember just forgot I have about hundred things I am doing at once for these two companies with the new technology I have to work on for the next project.

It's becoming impressive Chrome but still at it's infant stages.
I also know that they released the entire source code of Chrome, including its bespoke V8 JavaScript engine etc.

SASQUATCH
11-18-2009, 12:36 PM
So any ads that link elsewhere which appear on a web page are blanked out?

Yes because for me I like to use it when all I am interested is the Article to read and this helps
to bring the pages up faster and more of course without having to see ads etc

Death Engineer
11-18-2009, 10:58 PM
Ok, I get what you mean. I thought it was pop-up ads.

So any ads that link elsewhere which appear on a web page are blanked out?

It will even take the ads out of the middle of forums that you see sometimes (not here). Probably most notable on sites that have those annoying flash ads.