PDA

View Full Version : Any hunters out there?

Nitro
09-21-2008, 03:32 PM
Do any of you hunters out there have any experience with using crossbows as your hunting...err...instrument? In New York it's illegal to use a crossbow unless you are in a wheelchair (wtf?) but I know in some states like the nearest one by me being West Virginia, I think, it's lawful and perfectly fine to go out a'huntin with a crossbow and I even saw them being sold in the local Walmart down there.

Anywho, what are the pros and cons to hunt with a crossbow? I would assume it's better stealth-wise, not to mention that I think it's a more humane way to get your dinner (hehe)

Oh, and feel free to recommend any good crossbows :)

Nitro
09-21-2008, 05:04 PM
By bows, are you talking about crossbows? I'm not talking about the regular kind of bow. Crossbows are the ones that shoot like a gun, kind of.

Mr Clean
09-23-2008, 04:06 PM
Crossbows aren't allowed in most states during bow season, but I don't know the reason why. Typically you can use them during gun season. It's usually one of the hot debates every year on hunting forums.

Nitro
09-23-2008, 07:54 PM
What's a good hunting forum you recommend?

Mr Clean
09-27-2008, 07:01 AM
I don't have any particular favorites that I visit. Huntingnet.com is the first one that springs to mind, but there are lots of others. They all seem to have people willing to give tips and advice. Check some of them out if you get a chance.

BTW, the August 2007 Field & Stream had an article in it about crossbows verses regular bows. I didn't read it but I saw it in there yesterday at a friend's house. Might be good reading.

SASQUATCH
10-03-2008, 01:37 PM
I would assume it's better stealth-wise, not to mention that I think it's a more humane way to get your dinner (hehe)

SAS - Why would you want to hunt when food is process already or dead? Why kill an animal for a humane way to get dinner when it's avail to you?

If you plan to direct yourself in the spiritual guide lines, then this is not the way.

As for those who hunt for sport or what ever reason I will not question it because it is your choice but as for Nitro I am a bit surprise to hear this or read this post.

Mr Clean
10-03-2008, 04:13 PM
Sas, I don't understand what you mean by spiritual guide lines.

Death Engineer
10-03-2008, 04:46 PM
I think what he meant was that he takes offense that Nitro would think it is more humane to kill an animal with a crossbow than a gun.

I personally think that it would probably keep the animal from more suffering if you blew his head off as opposed to spearing it with a bolt. But somehow I doubt keeping an animal from suffering is high on the list of priorities for most hunters. Maybe I'm wrong here.

Since SAS brought it up, I'm not sure there's a Biblical argument against hunting:

"I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be food for you. And to the beasts of the earth and all the birds of the air and all the creatures that move on the ground--everything that has the breath of life in it--I give every green plant for food. And it was so" (Genesis 1:29-30).

Genesis 9:1-3 says: "Then God blessed Noah and his sons, saying to them, "Be fruitful and increase in number and fill the earth. The fear and dread of you will fall upon all of the beasts of the earth and all the birds of the air, upon every creature that moves along the ground, and upon all the fish of the sea; they are given into your hands. Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, now I give you everything."

SASQUATCH
10-03-2008, 05:18 PM
Sas, I don't understand what you mean by spiritual guide lines.

DE is right on one part which is more suffering but the other point is there are to me different spiritual guide lines and for some may mean not to hurt an animal but only to do it when it’s really needed for food or survival. For games or sport I don’t believe in it and most will say to me that if some animals like the deer are over populated, then to kill is to keep it balance and prevent them from suffering. Another thing that I don’t believe in and I will not get in more detail on it because I do respect others in what they believe, as well as people who believe in God or any type of religion.

Mr. Clean spiritual guide lines that I assume that I and Nitro believe in is not to hurt anything that is life but only when we have to and even that is something I fear to ever do. Spiritual guide lines for me in my own Beliefs is to love and not harm but to learn from it and when hungry if I needed to eat meat it will only be because I have no other options but when I don’t, I don’t need to eat another animal but rather be a vegetarian. I love animals and to me they are like children that are vulnerable as a child.

We have many definitions of what spiritual guide lines may mean to others and some I have mention plus more in my own description.

And with that I do respect others own belief but I also expect to be respected in what I believe and if not, nothing else can be said but only to live my own ways and belief and continue to do so without conflict.

When Nitro mention animal for a humane way to get dinner when it's avail to you and has been process or dead already, what would be the point of killing an animal when there is food already prepared.

This is what I believe in and I assume that Nitro may feel the same way because he talks about it at his forum and spiritual guides to a better approach toward life and everything in general.

Mr Clean
10-03-2008, 06:26 PM
Cool Sas, thanks for the additional information. I was just curious what that meant and didn't want to assume. Have a good weekend.

Grimmy
10-03-2008, 09:36 PM
I am your God, so bow down to me.

EXEcution
10-04-2008, 02:56 AM
I am your God.

Prove it!!

Mr Clean
10-06-2008, 02:24 PM
I am your God, so bow down to me.

Umm...which way am I supposed to be facing when I bow? :P :P :P

Death Engineer
10-06-2008, 06:10 PM
I love animals and to me they are like children that are vulnerable as a child.

So my only question is, would you eat a child if you were really really hungry...? No, I don't think you would. And that is because there is a sort of universal morality that surrounds the universe as it deals with humans. I'm certainly not advocating suffering for animals, but I don't put them in the same category as humans (i.e. as in no one should eat them, skin them, etc ... they have FEELINGS! WAH!).

Anyways....sorry to beat the dead horse here. Cheers. :)

Mr Clean
10-06-2008, 07:23 PM

Nice double meaning, even if you didn't mean it LOL...

Nitro
10-06-2008, 10:18 PM
So my only question is, would you eat a child if you were really really hungry...? No, I don't think you would. And that is because there is a sort of universal morality that surrounds the universe as it deals with humans. I'm certainly not advocating suffering for animals, but I don't put them in the same category as humans (i.e. as in no one should eat them, skin them, etc ... they have FEELINGS! WAH!).

Actually, most people would eat a child if they were really really hungry and this has happened before, even in America. Jamestown comes to mind.

SASQUATCH
10-06-2008, 10:40 PM
DE I would hate to respond to that because in actualities life is life and because we live in a world that thinks the way we do when it comes to eating an animal. Humans or animals are to be respected no matter what and that is what I believe but I was brought up to accept the idea that if I was very hungry eating an animal is fine but not a child. That isn’t a fair question because I can talk about the bible and point out many faults but it wouldn’t be appropriate because of many believers.

Now to answer you question about eating a child. if I was very hungry and I am close to my cat and love him very much, I would probably die of starvation but my cat would eat me. LOL

That should answer your question.

FUS1ON
10-07-2008, 04:54 AM
Sas Uncle Nuge wants you!
http://www.tednugent.com

If Nitro wants to go kill a mf'ing deer to eat instead of buying some meat in a store that has been processed and had fillers, fat, etc .... added to it, then more power to him.

SASQUATCH
10-07-2008, 08:51 AM

If Nitro wants to go kill a mf'ing deer to eat instead of buying some meat in a store that has been processed and had fillers, fat, etc .... added to it, then more power to him.

I think you are off in what I am saying to Nitro you hillbilly. hehehe LOL

Sho that will be my next avatar. hehehe:D

MORGANA
10-07-2008, 09:53 AM

lol !

MORGANA
10-07-2008, 09:59 AM
You know humans can survive also without meat ...

Goober
10-07-2008, 10:08 AM
Thank goodness us hillbillies are meatatarians (sorry heard that on a commercial).
One use of hunting around here is to control the deer population. I would hate to think what would happen if all of a sudden hunting stopped. There would be deer parts scattered up and down each highway. Not to many natural predators around here to keep them thinned out so it's up to us rednecks with pickup trucks and 30-30s.
Now back on topic for nitro. Here in Tennesee crossbows are legal during muzzle loading season and rifle season. Only the handicapped can use a crossbow during archery season.
Barnett crossbows has a web site stating the different rules for each state that you might find interesting Barnett (http://www.barnettcrossbows.com/crossbowregulations/index.asp)

SASQUATCH
10-07-2008, 11:52 AM
Not to many natural predators around here to keep them thinned out so it's up to us rednecks with pickup trucks and 30-30s.

That explains why thx to you rednecks that natural predators pretty much don’t exist anymore knuckle head. LOL

Sir Hansen Poplan
10-07-2008, 04:40 PM
That explains why thx to you rednecks that natural predators pretty much don’t exist anymore knuckle head. LOL

Good point!
I agree too that we are controling deer population, but we killed lot of predator too, leaving nature unbalanced, i think...

Suicidal
10-07-2008, 06:23 PM
Oh cmon. Real hunters use a Tek Bow. It's just not as fun unless you blow stuff up.

EXEcution
10-07-2008, 06:58 PM
Oh cmon. Real hunters use a Tek Bow. It's just not as fun unless you blow stuff up.

Wow I'm sure no one else will get that Turok reference. :bawling:

SASQUATCH
10-07-2008, 07:13 PM
Dam hillbillies or rednecks, always shooting at something. hehehe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZp2JcmUU6o

j/k

Death Engineer
10-08-2008, 02:37 AM
Nice double meaning, even if you didn't mean it LOL...

Pathos would be proud. <beam>

Suicidal
10-08-2008, 03:04 AM
Wow I'm sure no one else will get that Turok reference. :bawling:

I'm nostalgia in a tiny little box :)

EXEcution
10-08-2008, 03:33 AM
I'm nostalgia in a tiny little box :)

Cerebral bore ftw!!

Suicidal
10-08-2008, 09:13 PM
You read my mind man. You so TOTALLY read my mind.