PDA

View Full Version : Sand Mandala

Mad Fox
10-24-2008, 09:40 PM
This week I got to participate in the creation of a Sand Mandala for Wisodm. Here are two videos i took:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqOfXQ0N3gw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwWhHSJGlvo

Mad Fox
10-24-2008, 10:00 PM
id like to see more of the creation of it. looks like it would like LOTS of time and dedication.

The lama worked 40hrs on it this week. Sitting on the floor!

NightBreed
10-25-2008, 01:42 AM
Wow...that's awesome !!!! :wootrock:

EXEcution
10-25-2008, 04:08 AM
I head someone sneeze... Do they get kicked out immediately?

Bingo
10-25-2008, 05:59 PM
That is astounding. Very cool that you got to be a part of that!
Thanks for posting those.

Mr Clean
11-07-2008, 05:33 PM
How very lame.

Mad Fox
11-10-2008, 04:40 AM
How very lame.

what is that suppose to mean?

JIMINATOR
11-10-2008, 06:24 AM
he means that he bought one once, but had less success when he tried to hang it on his livingroom wall. :)

EXEcution
11-10-2008, 03:09 PM
he means that he bought one once, but had less success when he tried to hang it on his livingroom wall. :)

:rofl:

He Is Legend
11-10-2008, 06:48 PM
Or it just means he's a grumpy old man thats tired of getting pushed around by Pinesol.

:D

Mr Clean
11-20-2008, 08:11 PM
what is that suppose to mean?

lame
adj.; ineffectual, unconvincing, weak; not fashionable, unsophisticated.

EXEcution
11-20-2008, 08:53 PM
lame
adj.; ineffectual, unconvincing, weak; not fashionable, unsophisticated.

It can also mean handicapped.

Sirc
11-20-2008, 09:15 PM
But, why is it lame? Granted, I don't really understand the point of creating works of art that are destined to be destroyed, but maybe it has something to do with an expression of the brevity of "being".

There are lots of examples of artists creating temporary pieces of art. Ice sculptures, sand sculptures....

http://www.break.com/index/spanish-reporter-ruins-sand-castle2.html

JIMINATOR
11-20-2008, 10:46 PM
Sand Mandalas are a representation of the impermanence of all physical things in life. We like to pretend that certain things are permanent but again and again life will teach us that this is not so. Take a look at the stock market and how it continues to collapse, day after day. How did we get into a spiral? People are losing their jobs and have no money to spend. Others are hoarding they money for the day they might lose their jobs. Others are waiting for the "bottom". Companies are going broke and laying off people. What happened? Everything was so permanent a year ago. We have lived our lives with the belief that we were different, the rules that applied to other countries do not apply to us. Not so. All things come to an end. Now it is no longer an IF but instead how long and how hard. I have been reading a couple of books by nassim taleb. (fooled by randomness/the black swan) They are pretty fascinating in that they describe how we deal with randomness in our lives especially with the financial markets. An example is with the various financial schemes companies have done repeatedly over the years. it goes like this. someone makes some money at something, so they put the profit back in AND additional money by the greedy company. they keep repeating. He makes huge bonuses as do the executives. When the scheme blows up the brokers may get fired, executives get a smaller bonus, meanwhile shareholders get nothing or have to be bailed out by taxpayers. This keeps happening repeatedly. One guy made 80 million for a company but lost 350 million when the scheme collapsed. Ultimately we pretend that we know things, that we have a predictable world, but that is just us deluding ourselves. No predictions of the stock market said the dow would hit 7400, the worst I saw were in the 8000s. Tomorrow I suspect we will break down to the 6000s. Ultimately everything is impermanent, the only difference with the sand mandala and the painting on the wall is that you will be dead before the painting finally dissolves to dust, assuming it is not destroyed in some other fashion.