PDA

View Full Version : Circuit City - Closing 155+ Stores

Bingo
11-03-2008, 01:48 AM
I think this could be the beginning of the end for Circuit City.

It's kind of a shame. At one time they were a decent store. But it's been a LONG LONG time.

I seriously loathe ever having to do business with them. About once a year or so I have to deal with them and each of the past 3 or 4 times it's been a horrific experience. Different stores, different states even but consistantly a horrible place.

You just walk in and it feels oppresive. All the sales people - except ironically the last lady I dealt with at the return counter of all places - has been universally horrible. They stand around talking amongst themselves and get huffy and rude when God-Forbid you interrupt them and ask for help. I've actually had 2 cases where I asked where something was and got a vague finger point and an answer of "Over there somewhere I think".

So I'm not terribly surpised to hear that they are closing huge amounts of stores:
http://consumerist.com/5074161/breaking-circuit-city-closing-155-stores

Even worse, they've been delisted from the stock exchange. That can't be good!
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10080398-1.html

B

OUTLAWS high ping camper
11-03-2008, 01:51 AM
I hope they slash their prices by 80%, then it might be worth my time to shop there. :D

EXEcution
11-03-2008, 04:31 AM
CC was in talks with Blockbuster and they were hoping to merge and to start turning a profit, but that fell through probably because both companies are doing shitty.

I seriously loathe ever having to do business with them. About once a year or so I have to deal with them and each of the past 3 or 4 times it's been a horrific experience. Different stores, different states even but consistantly a horrible place.

You just walk in and it feels oppresive. All the sales people - except ironically the last lady I dealt with at the return counter of all places - has been universally horrible. They stand around talking amongst themselves and get huffy and rude when God-Forbid you interrupt them and ask for help. I've actually had 2 cases where I asked where something was and got a vague finger point and an answer of "Over there somewhere I think".

It's interesting that you mention that because I used to work in the games/CDs/movies and MP3 departments in Circuit City. As far as I know I was one of the nicest people there. Most of the staff in my department were around my age and they were also usually pretty helpful and didn't ignore customers.

As for the rest of the "associates", most were arrogant assholes. They seemed somewhere between hating their jobs and simply not caring to liking what they do and being way too proud and boastful about it. You work for a store that sells electronics, that doesn't make you ****ing Einstein.

IMO if you do your own research online you can probably walk in to a Circuit City or Best Buy and know exactly what you want without having anyone try to sell you something different.

I think a lot of it has to do with management and how they seem to act like they don't give a shit. Every single manager, save two, wouldn't even bother to take the time to talk to their co-workers and see how they were doing. The only thing they seemed to care about was who sold the highest amount of additional Circuit City warranty, which is a rip off most of the time anyway.

To make a long story short I quit because it was boring and management sucked. I try to avoid CC as much as possible nowadays and will usually go to Best Buy since they give me $5 coupons to spend in their stores.

Nitro
11-03-2008, 05:09 AM
Buy.com is my biggest friend, when it comes to electronique purchases.

Having Howie Mandel perpetually on the home page is an instant bonus.

Asian Invasian
11-03-2008, 05:17 AM
Long story short:

I bought a laptop from them that was displayed for 700
They gave me the wrong laptop I wanted the one that was displayed
I complained
They said ohh sorry we had the price tags switched (was suposed to be 999)
I used a credit card to buy it
They wouldn't refund my money for 3-5 business days so I couldnt buy the one I wanted for another 3-5 business days WTF
I asked for just 100 off so I could use cash for the rest they denied and said there was absolutely no way to give me 100 off
I somehow forked up the other 300 to buy it
The next day it went on sale 100 off at all stores.

Kiss my ass CC you blow.

FUS1ON
11-03-2008, 06:22 PM
Unbeatable Price Guarantee

Find a lower advertised price from another local store with the same item in stock, and we'll gladly beat their price by 10% of the difference. And if you see a lower advertised price within 30 days of your purchase with us, we'll refund 100% of the difference.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/lookLearn.do?edOid=105471&cat=-13318

I guess none of the "professional boxpushers" told you about that did they?

As a retail saleperson in a electronic/white goods store for 12 years, I can tell you that the day of getting a REAL person that actually knows about their product is just about a thing of the past. They don't like so many other people don't take pride in what they do. I was surprised to find out recently that the "staff" at Best Buy don't work on commission and are hourly paid.

Nitro
11-04-2008, 12:39 AM
I have had nothing but pleasant encounters with Circuit City..ever since they used to allow me to buy CDs with the parental advisory stickers when I was 13 :D

OUTLAWS WHOCARES
11-04-2008, 01:52 AM
Has anyone found a list of which stores are gonna shut down?

JIMINATOR
11-10-2008, 06:05 PM
well, they declared bankruptcy today, apparently the closings were not enough soon enough. they are trading at 2 cents now, down from $4 a few months ago.

Nitro
11-10-2008, 07:01 PM
Has anyone found a list of which stores are gonna shut down?

Here's the complete list of 155 stores: http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/CC/461540287x0x245809/2BFAC9D9-6CEF-4027-9E51-1C635F42F7A7/110308%20Store%20Closing%20List.pdf

Death Engineer
11-10-2008, 08:42 PM
Sweet. The one near us is closing. Time to check for some deals.

JIMINATOR
11-10-2008, 09:06 PM
no deals anytime soon. reports are that they are jacking prices up so that they can mark them down. good luck

OUTLAWS WHOCARES
11-10-2008, 11:59 PM
Not a single one near me.

Suicidal
11-11-2008, 01:29 AM
no deals anytime soon. reports are that they are jacking prices up so that they can mark them down. good luck

They like to think that people abide by, "Don't live in the past. Look toward the future."

EXEcution
11-11-2008, 01:31 AM
Where's the Circuit City's government bailout?! Chapter 11 bankruptcy doesn't seem fair. Maybe the government can buy a stake in CC and spy on us through our TVs.

One can only hope.

OUTLAWS Spike
11-11-2008, 02:15 AM
Where's the Circuit City's government bailout?! Chapter 11 bankruptcy doesn't seem fair. Maybe the government can buy a stake in CC and spy on us through our TVs.

One can only hope.

Circuit City's CEO's need to go to fancy resorts like AIG's, then they would definitely get a bailout package. ;)

Death Engineer
11-14-2008, 05:52 AM
Went by there tonight. Not a whole lot of good deals yet. Mostly 10-15% off. A few things were 20% off.

Nitro
12-05-2008, 09:57 PM
OK, so I jsut got back from the Circuit City in our ridiculously big mall and they were literally selling anything that wasn't nailed down. Hell, they were even selling the display cases, racks, desks, and stuff from the employees area in that room behind the store. It's pathetic.

JIMINATOR
12-06-2008, 06:06 AM
uh... yeah, that's called a liquidation. you did read the title of this thread, right?

Death Engineer
12-06-2008, 09:01 PM
They're still just at 20-30% off at the one near me. The store is really picked over now though.

Nitro
12-06-2008, 09:21 PM
uh... yeah, that's called a liquidation. you did read the title of this thread, right?

Yea but seriously...who's going to buy a scratched up 30 foot long display shelf?

Sales are up to 50% in this one. There's like almost nothing left in the store though, besides the TVs.

OUTLAWS The Machine
12-07-2008, 02:55 AM
I don't think I would buy any of their extended warranties...

JIMINATOR
12-07-2008, 06:14 AM
Yea but seriously...who's going to buy a scratched up 30 foot long display shelf?

Sales are up to 50% in this one. There's like almost nothing left in the store though, besides the TVs.
in today's economy, nobody. in better times new stores will typically buy fixtures from liquidators. if CC did not have them on sale at the store then they would have to move them somewhere else and put them on sale there. it isn't like CC can keep them as spares for other nearby CCs

Nitro
12-07-2008, 02:03 PM
I meant to say 50% off btw
Yea I hear you. It's just that back in the day, I would be able to get those display racks for free from the massive super dumpsters behind the Toys R Us that looked brand new lol

Suicidal
12-07-2008, 07:09 PM
50% and 50% off are the same things, aren't they?

Nitro
12-07-2008, 09:36 PM
50% and 50% off are the same things, aren't they?

no because in the first post, it insinuated that Circuit City's sales were up by 50% when that is not what I meant.

Suicidal
12-08-2008, 04:33 AM
no because in the first post, it insinuated that Circuit City's sales were up by 50% when that is not what I meant.

Guess i looked at it the way you intended then :)
Wrong and Right at the same time