PDA

View Full Version : XP install problem

FUS1ON
11-04-2008, 10:33 PM
I realize that we are borderline on breaking a rule/s here so please watch what is posted. I'm not looking to do anything illegal

A buddy of mine bought a computer from the city at an auction, it has the XP Professional product key code sticker on the back of it. The hard drive was whiped clean and it didn't come with anything other than hardware.

I tried to do an OS install with my copy of Windows XP Pro using the key code on the back of the machine and got the unvalid key code message. I'd like to use the code on the machine so he can update to SP3 and I assumed the software transferred with the machine and figured the code should work.

1) Why is this happening?
&
2) Is there anyway to do this?

OUTLAWS high ping camper
11-04-2008, 10:44 PM
Maybe the key is for an OEM or "multiple license" version of XP.....and your copy isn't that version.

Grimmy
11-04-2008, 11:53 PM
What brand of machine is it?

I have seen this happen with HP machines. I was trying to do exactly as you mentioned, and ended up having to contact HP, they send some disks, but to whom the cd key was resistered to. So I went to my friends house to pick them up, but I did get them.

FUS1ON
11-05-2008, 12:12 AM
I suspect HPC and you guys are correct about the key being for an OEM version and mine is a regular retail version.

It's a Gateway E-4100 manuf. in 2004, Gateway has turned over support to another service company name MPC so getting drivers and stuff is fun but not impossible.

Fragetti
11-05-2008, 02:26 AM
You could install it using your key then run this little program and change it back to his.

http://www.download.com/KeyRecover/3000-2094_4-10542169.html