PDA

View Full Version : Couple of questions

OUTLAWS WHOCARES
11-09-2008, 12:10 AM
I have to reformat my girls system.
She is running Vista Home Preium
Is there a way to save her bookmarks in IE7 to a seperate file?

Also is there a way to save her e-mails to a file? She uses Outlook 2007

Fragetti
11-09-2008, 03:01 AM
Transfer files and settings from another computer

Windows Easy Transfer is a step-by-step guide for transferring files and settings from one computer running Windows to another. It helps you choose what to transfer to your new computer, such as user accounts, Internet favorites, and e‑mail contacts. It also helps you decide which method to use and then performs the transfer.

Just type = Windows Easy Transfer in the search box by the start button.

As far as Outlook goes

open outlook
goto file
import / export
export to file
Personal folder file (pst)
check (include subfolders)
save to a know location

Grimmy
11-09-2008, 05:28 PM
I think the emails, you might be able to select all and drag them to a thumb drive, and do the reverse after the format.

It's been a while but I think that's how I did my emails the last time I formated.

There might be something similar to what Frag said for bookmarks. I usually bookmark stuff then never use it again, so when I format it's a way of cleaning them out lol

FUS1ON
11-09-2008, 09:47 PM
Don't forget to export your email contacts too. I go to the address book to do it, it saves with a .wab extension for Outlook Express, no idea what it is for Outlook.

OUTLAWS WHOCARES
11-09-2008, 10:59 PM
Thanks all. I am trying to avoid doing this but I may have to. Out of nowhere the damn OS will not install updates. In many many ways I like Vista. But this is retarded. Also for some odd reasom the built in defrag no longer starts.

Grimmy
11-10-2008, 02:49 AM
Also for some odd reasom the built in defrag no longer starts.

Who, check out this program. I read about it in MaximumPC and they rated it high, and it's free. It works better and faster then windows version of defrag.

http://www.auslogics.com/en/software/disk-defrag/download

:thumbs:

Try that and see if it works.

ME BIGGD01
11-11-2008, 04:06 PM
Who, if you need help we can do a remote session and I will do the back up right in front of your eyes. I will back up all your data into a folder and than burn it to a dvd or cd depending on how large the data is.

OUTLAWS WHOCARES
11-11-2008, 11:27 PM
Who, if you need help we can do a remote session and I will do the back up right in front of your eyes. I will back up all your data into a folder and than burn it to a dvd or cd depending on how large the data is.

I am still playing with her system trying to avoid the task if I can. The main problem is windows will not update itself anymore.

ME BIGGD01
11-12-2008, 02:56 AM
This may sound weird but is the time and date set correctly? Windows Update must will not work if the time is off.

What is the error message you are getting?

OUTLAWS WHOCARES
11-12-2008, 11:25 AM
error code 80071A30

Slice
11-14-2008, 04:46 PM
That error code basically means that the requsted operation has already timed out. Is there a 4 digit code that precedes that message? What was the last update that took place sucessfully? Sometimes if service packs are installed before other updates, the update service will no longer get any additional updates until the prior updates are installed. I had this problem when doing a clean install and windows installed a service pack before the other cumilitave updates. There is a registry entry solution if that is the case.

OUTLAWS WHOCARES
11-14-2008, 11:33 PM
That is the only numbers I get old friend. No 4 didgit code. Last upsate that went through was several after vista sp1

OUTLAWS WHOCARES
11-22-2008, 11:49 AM
An Update...

After going back and forth with Microsoft support. They came to the conclusion that I need to do a repair on the system to fix the problem.

I was asked to uninstall SP1 and do a repair because my disk was stating that my current OS was more current that the one one the disk. Well, I uninstalled the Service Pack and it still did not work.

Needless to say they are now sending me a new Disk with Ultimate on it. I have Home Preium but I told them I have Ultimate :)

They are actually sending me a 32bit and a 64bit disk. Whick one should I go with? Here is the last e-mail from Microsoft India...

When they asked me what OS I have:)
The issue may be caused because the system still consider SP1 is installed. We need a installation DVD with SP1. Based on this special situation, I discussed with my manager and was special approved to order a installation DVD with SP1 which is free of charge for you. If you can provide a North America address, please confirm the following information so I can process this request:

Product: (Is it Windows Vista Home Basic edition, Home Premium edition, Business edition, Enterprise edition or Ultimate edition?)
Version: (Is it 32 bit or 64 bit)
Name to ship to (if not you):
Street address:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Phone (for the shipping company to use, should they need to contact you):

Your feedback is very important to us. If there are any questions or concerns, feel free to let me know.

I look forward to you reply.

Best Regards,

Edward

v-30eyua@mssupport.microsoft.com
Microsoft Windows Vista Escalation Support Professional

Informing me that they are sending it out:)

Hi Mark,

We have placed an order of Windows Vista Ultimate disk set (It included a 32bit disc , a 64bit disc and a product key. When you would like to install 64bit, you can use this key.) for you via our internal channel. This order is confirmed and the reference number is 904386163. You should expect to receive the DVD disk within 7-15 business days. If you do not receive the DVD by then, please do not hesitate to contact me and I will look into it for you.

Given this situation, I'd like to "Temporarily Archived" this case. When you receive the DVD, do not hesitate to write back to me at v-30eyua@mssupport.microsoft.com and make sure the title includes SRX1083413546in the subject line and I will follow up with you as soon as possible.

If you have any feedback with Microsoft products, please also let my manager know. Your feedback will be forwarded to the management team and development group for review. Meanwhile, we hope you will still feel fully satisfied with our support service.

In addition, we welcome your comments and suggestions on our support processes, products, and support professionals, about how we can improve your support experience.

Thank you for choosing Microsoft.

Edward
v-30eyua@mssupport.microsoft.com
Microsoft Windows Vista Escalation Support Professional

Satisfied customers are my top priority. Please let either myself or my manager know what you think of the level of service provided. You can send feedback to Microsoft Management Microsoft.Feedback.NA5@css.one.microsoft.com or directly to my managers, Jane at v-30jaya@mssupport.microsoft.com.

=================================
At the same time, I would like to share some useful Web sites with you; they are beneficial to assist on computer-using issues. Please refer to:
Windows Vista:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/editions/ultimate/default.mspx

Microsoft TechNet
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/default.aspx

Confirmation:)

Please keep this e-mail for your records.

Microsoft has received your order, and it is being processed.

Order Date: 11/22/2008

Ship-To:
Raphael, Mark
5450 Lyons Road#303
POMPANO BEACH, FL 33073
United States

Following is a list of the items in your order:

Part Number: 66R-02263
Product Name: Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 32-bit/64-bit English NA CustSvc DVD
Qty: 1
Unit Price: 0.00
Item Total: 0.00

Subtotal: 0.00
Shipping: 0.00
Tax: 0.00
Total: 0.00 USD
(USD = US Dollar)

Do not reply to this e-mail. This message was sent to you using an automated system. This e-mail alias is not monitored for replies. If you need help, please contact us through one of the methods available at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=csscontactfind.

Thank you,

Grimmy
11-22-2008, 06:20 PM
32 bit should be fine. 64 bit would be better, but not a lot of programs are written for 64 bit. I'd use the 64 bit for your gaming rig and all your ubar hardware and let her have the 32 bit. :thumbs: