PDA

View Full Version : Smooth move Obama

FUS1ON
01-31-2009, 02:50 AM
That's right go hang out with the entertainers and celebs and say piss off to the Vets ... he did promise us Change.

Barack Obama became the first U.S. president to skip out on the Salute to Heroes Inaugural Ball since its inception in 1953. The event recognizes recipients of the military's highest award - the Medal of Honor - and as The Cleveland Leader previously reported, over the past 56 years and 14 inaugurations, no President has failed to appear at this event until now. Following the breaking of this news, there have been some misconceptions and erroneous information floating around. The American Legion, one of the main sponsors of the Salute to Heroes Inaugural Ball, issued a statement making it clear once and for all that Barack Obama did not in fact attend the event.

http://www.clevelandleader.com/node/8666

EXEcution
01-31-2009, 03:58 AM
I would have done the same.

FUS1ON
01-31-2009, 05:52 AM
Those replies are sad, you should be ashamed AND I fully expect you to try to justify your replies but those were typical responses from who I would have expected them from because it seems the younger people today do not respect what some people have given them as people of my generation and older do. It's scary that these are the very people that will one day be running our country. You guys have much to learn IMHO.

Boring??? Who gives a F if it is? It's not a matter of if it's boring or not. Those Vets have done far more than any asshole in Hollywood will ever do for this country and I think taking a few minutes to stop in to show respect is a very small sacrifice compared to what they have done for him. You go right ahead and put your priorities where you like even if I do think ... correction, I KNOW it's wrong.

EXEcution
01-31-2009, 07:31 AM
http://www.pic2009.org/blog/entry/obama_will_host_commander_in_chiefs_ball/

Isn't this enough? Is it not a bit redundant to appear at similar functions that take place in such a short span of time. Whoever schedules these so closely together is to blame.

If Obama feels that he needs to reach out more to the PEOPLE WHO ACTUALLY VOTED FOR HIM, then why not let him. The fact that one function would be more fun than another was in pure jest OFC.

I find it funny that you take the little things so seriously. Breaking tradition doesn't seem all that uncommon in today's world.

Pure_Evil
01-31-2009, 12:50 PM
He went to 10, not 11 balls?? :hmmm:

I hate to say it, but he should have skipped a bunch more and gone to work!

Sirc
01-31-2009, 07:36 PM
While it was certainly a serious oversight, I doubt that Obama is completely to blame. His staff screwed up royally. I'm guessing Obama didn't know where he was half the time that evening - constantly being shuttled from one location to another. Having that many events occur on the same day is absolutely ridiculous.

Nitro
01-31-2009, 08:27 PM
He went to 10, not 11 balls?? :hmmm:

I hate to say it, but he should have skipped a bunch more and gone to work!

Apparantly, it's not easy juggling balls, as demonstrated by this CNN news article headline: http://www.flickr.com/photos/usmarinesjz/3214513300/sizes/o/

FUS1ON
01-31-2009, 09:03 PM
With that many balls, I don't see how they walk ..... Thank you, thank you, i'll be here all week, don't forget to tip your waitresses.

What's really jacked up is this Media release saying they don't feel snubbed by it. :rolleyes: Is this blanket made out of wool? I smell a coverup

Craig Roberts, Media Relations Manager for the American Legion, issued the following statement:

The American Legion, as it has on every inauguration evening since 1953, hosted the Salute to Heroes Inaugural Banquet & Ball on January 20th. The quadrennial event is co-sponsored with fourteen veterans service and military service organizations and honors recipients of the Medal of Honor. Forty-seven of these heroes attended this year’s event which was held in the Renaissance Washington DC Hotel.

President Obama was invited but did not attend. Vice-President Joe Biden did appear, however, and was very warmly received. The new President’s absence was understandable considering the unprecedented logistical challenges presented by the vastly increased number of visitors to this inauguration and the necessary attendant security measures. The American Legion, as an organization, does not feel offended or “snubbed.”

JIMINATOR
01-31-2009, 09:42 PM
eh, he should have taken a vacation for a couple of months, hell with all the balls. and I imagine the problem is with his transition team, which are all new to the job. If you plan to create threads over every imagined snub or issue then its going to be a long four years. Hell, we could have had a series of "what stupid thing bush said or do this week" type threads, there was certainly enough material.

FUS1ON
01-31-2009, 11:20 PM
I guess an Official Release and some one's personal statement like for instance Craig Roberts (see my previous post) are two different things.
http://www.legion.org/whatsnew/releases?filter0=1&filter1=2009

FUS1ON
02-01-2009, 07:28 AM
Exactly ... Craig Roberts said it to someone but there is nothing that has been officially released from the American Legion that says "The American Legion, as an organization, does not feel offended or “snubbed.” "

Death Engineer
02-03-2009, 05:33 PM
I suspect Obama will be doing things that no president has ever done before and not doing things presidents have done for a long time. He's a different man. That keeps surprising everyone, but that part is actually quite the same as it has been all election.

I didn't vote for the guy, but this is a lose-lose situation for any president. If he had missed any of those other events they probably would have felt 'snubbed' too. On top of that, I suspect he didn't make the decision of where he was going when. I'm willing to give him the shadow of a doubt.