PDA

View Full Version : Happy Memorial Day

Bingo
05-25-2009, 08:56 PM
To all those who have served in the past, are serving now or will serve in the future... Thank you. Today is a great time to stop - just for a moment - and be grateful for those who risk so much and all too often give their all so that we can have so much.

Thank you all, it is appreciated. This goes to those who serve anywhere and everywhere. For me it's obviously most personal when talking about the U.S. but it holds true for anyone.

Here's something I usually think about on days like this. I know it tends to get overdone and all, but it's still worth it to me.

When I was a small boy in Vincennes, Indiana, I heard, I think, one of the most outstanding speeches I ever heard in my life. I think it compares with the Sermon on the Mount, Lincoln’s Gettysburg Address, and Socrates’ Speech to the Students.
We had just finished reciting the Pledge of Allegiance, and he [Mr. Lasswell, the Principal of Vincennes High School] called us all together, and he says, “Uh, boys and girls, I have been listening to you recite the Pledge of Allegiance all semester, and it seems that it has become monotonous to you. Or, could it be, you do not understand the meaning of each word? If I may, I would like to recite the pledge, and give you a definition for each word:

I -- Me; an individual; a committee of one.

Pledge -- Dedicate all of my worldly good to give without self-pity.

Allegiance -- My love and my devotion.

To the Flag -- Our standard. “Old Glory”; a symbol of courage. And wherever she waves, there is respect, because your loyalty has given her a dignity that shouts “Freedom is everybody's job.”

of the United -- That means we have all come together.

States -- Individual communities that have united into 50 great states; 50 individual communities with pride and dignity and purpose; all divided by imaginary boundaries, yet united to a common cause, and that’s love of country, of America.

And to the Republic -- A Republic: a sovereign state in which power is invested into the representatives chosen by the people to govern; and the government is the people; and it's from the people to the leaders, not from the leaders to the people.

For which it stands

One Nation -- Meaning "so blessed by God."

Indivisible -- Incapable of being divided.

With Liberty -- Which is freedom; the right of power for one to live his own life without fears, threats, or any sort of retaliation.

And Justice -- The principle and qualities of dealing fairly with others.

For All -- For All. That means, boys and girls, it's as much your country as it is mine.

Now let me hear you recite the Pledge of Allegiance:

I pledge allegiance
to the Flag of the United States of America,
and to the Republic, for which it stands;
one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x154/CajunFire/Veterans%20Parade%202007/afd1.jpg

OUTLAWS Dixie Chick
05-25-2009, 09:04 PM
My heart felt thanks to all service members and their families for all the sacrifices you make.

FUS1ON
05-26-2009, 12:06 AM
To all solders past and present ... Thank you!

FUS1ON
05-27-2009, 02:47 PM
4 whole posts ... wow. It's sad the way some Americans have forgotten what was given to them and have forgotten how to say thanks.

I like the way this American is trying to re-teach the children
http://worriersanonymous.org/Share/V2008/Thedesk.htm

And yes Jim, it is true
http://www.snopes.com/glurge/nodesks.asp

Sirc
05-28-2009, 05:30 PM
4 whole posts ... wow.

Don't assume that just because there aren't three pages of posts in this thread that people have forgotten. Five years ago there would have been three pages. GameMecca is not an indicator of the state of patriotism in America.

We hung our flag, had a nice family get-together, and said a prayer that included those who fought and died for us when we sat down to eat.

I also might mention that my oldest (Sifi) has enlisted in the USAF and will be heading to boot camp in Texas within the next month.

Nitro
05-28-2009, 05:53 PM
Five years ago there would have been three pages.

http://gamemecca.net/forums/showthread.php?t=13734

JIMINATOR
05-28-2009, 09:46 PM
hey, I am sure everyone is appreciative of any person that risks their lives for others on a daily basis. just not so much of the people that put them in harms way.

so what would have happened if the revolution had never occurred. would things here be better or worse? the assumption is that they would be worse, but can you really say that? this government has deviated from the original course tremendously. The original tea party taxes were a tiny fraction of what we pay today.

our government has gone absolutely berserk. the people in office think they have a magical printing machine next door and they spend money like madmen.

we can try to solve these problems, talk about real issues, but then someone mentions gay marriage or abortion and room splits into sides that want to get into fist fights.

good bless america and all that, but it almost seems to me that we are taking a similar path as old russia, invincible looking on the outside, but rotten at the core until it all falls apart. and that is really sad.

Nitro
05-28-2009, 09:54 PM
we can try to solve these problems, talk about real issues, but then someone mentions gay marriage or abortion and room splits into sides that want to get into fist fights.

good bless america and all that, but it almost seems to me that we are taking a similar path as old russia, invincible looking on the outside, but rotten at the core until it all falls apart. and that is really sad.

YES

FUS1ON
05-29-2009, 04:43 AM
I'm not sure what that has to do with remembering the solders that gave theirs lives so that we do have to learn to speak Japanese or Russian. Just because things aren't great today as they used to be should not diminish what those heros have already given us.

Also ... I'm embarrassed that I missed posting in the thread that Nitro linked to, i'm not sure how that happened as I normally make it a point to say Thanks every chance I get. It's a small thing but i've even gotten up before in restaurants and went over to say thanks to Veterans because I saw their shirt or hat ... try that sometime.

JIMINATOR
05-29-2009, 04:47 AM
yeah, I understand what you are saying, and it is great on a personal level. but as a country the holiday is just meaningless lip service. if the country really wanted to say thanks it would do more for those that became disabled, the poor crappy VA hospitals and lack of benefits.

Nitro
05-29-2009, 12:04 PM
I feel so bad for the fact that 1 in 4 homeless people in our country are actual war veterans! Let me repeat that. 25% of US war veterans are HOMELESS. Jim's right, this country treats soldiers like expendable resources that aren't human enough to give them the help they need after wartime. Kissinger mentions how "military men are dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns for foreign policy.” and I am sure more politicians believe that like he does, since it's quite apparent in this country's lack of respect for people risking their most prized possession; their life.

Reference: http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2007-11-07-homeless-veterans_N.htm

FUS1ON
05-29-2009, 05:11 PM
Ok yeah that is 'the government' and you guys keep wanting to sidetrack this into another topic or point out something else like the government's shortcomings. I sometimes see 'we the people' don't do enough or anything at all to show thanks for what they have done and feel that signs of gratitude are falling off. The younger generations see what some of you all do and they emulate that, then they don't respect them for what they have done for this country. It is those same young adults that will you will be depending on to defend this country and if they see we are not thankful and don't sign up, then who is going to do the job?

It takes less than a minute to say thanks and many of you failed ... wtg!

JIMINATOR
05-29-2009, 06:39 PM
ok, but who exactly are you saying thanks to? are there any veterans here? Mostly curious to know. If there are, then thank you and god bless you.

Sirc
05-29-2009, 07:13 PM
It takes less than a minute to say thanks and many of you failed ... wtg!

Kinda have to agree with Jim here. Besides possibly Oscar[WCFD], and I'm not sure about that, as far as I know there are no veterans that frequent GM.

Again, my family celebrated, put out the flag, and gave thanks in our own way. Shogun, you need to chillax. But, if it makes you feel better...thanks to all the veterans that have served our country...including my father in WWII, my grandfather in WWI, and my son who is about to begin serving in the USAF.

There, I posted my thanks on GM. The impact will be huge. :rolleyes:

EDIT: Do I still fail?