PDA

View Full Version : Vista 64 as File Server

Death Engineer
06-18-2009, 07:24 PM
We're having some trouble with a system here at work that we're using as a file server. It's a recent model Dell Inspiron Q8200 that we're using as a QuickBooks 2009 server along with serving files for the company.

The machine is speedy and works well when it is working. The issue that we're having is that occasionally (3-4 times a week) people just can't access the shares on the system where the files are hosted. In fact, you can't even access the machine via the usual \\[servername].

The error message that pops up when you try to access the machine is as follows: "\\[servername] is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

The specified server cannot perform the requested operation."

Our usual fix is to reboot the server which requires that everyone make sure they aren't running QuickBooks and that no files are open which brings productivity to a halt. Very annoying. If anyone has any suggestions on how to solve this, I'm all ears.

I've googled the error message and tried several of the mentioned fixes (file permissions changes, registry changes for anonymous pw, etc) to no avail. I'm hoping that one of you may have seen this and know how to fix it so I can go back to my normal job of coding instead of playing Windows IT cleanup guy. ;)