PDA

View Full Version : Likes/Dislikes about the 90s

Nitro
06-27-2009, 07:09 PM
I was looking at old photos of some friends and I was so amused with how rediculous the 90s were, from an outside perspective seeing as how it's almost 2010. So I came up with a list of likes and dislikes from the 90s, since there was a bit of both and I'm still unsure if the likes outweigh the dislikes so I'm wondering if others could give their input. Of course, you need to be old enough to remember the 90s (up to 1997, preferably).

saturday morning cartoons
sitcoms
beavis and butthead
risk taking and being adventurous
emergence of Phish after Jerry Garcia died
sega genesis
block parties
slang
sidescrollers
going outside and actually seeing kids playing on front lawns
grunge (only because it killed off 80s hair metal)

Dislikes:

oversize clothes
cassette tapes still lingered
the guy ponytail
glasses/sunglasses
oversize clothes on girls
squeeze pops
overalls...especially on girls
Ernest
acid wash jeans
Nu-Metal (think Limp Bizkit)
grunge (because the words had no meaning at all. see: nirvana)
Gen X's "don't give a damn" attitude

He Is Legend
06-27-2009, 08:13 PM
mann come on, nirvana was good !

Nitro
06-27-2009, 10:27 PM
mann come on, nirvana was good !

Can you explain how exactly they were good? What specific qualities of their music do you find good?

I liked Nirvana when I was a kid. Now, I cannot stand them. Surely, I believe the main reason why grunge was so popular was that people were sick of hair metal and grunge was there so people jumped onto that since it was the lesser of two sub-par genres.

He Is Legend
06-27-2009, 11:12 PM
I like them for the same reason I like other 90's bands, it appeals to me. Example being Alice in chains, pearl jam, sound garden, eve 6, third eye blind, matchbox 20, fuel, tom petty, blue oyster cult, phish, hootie and the blowfish, the smashing pumpkins,R.E.M.,dave matthews band,no doubt,counting crows, primus..I could go on and on, but the main reason I like all of these bands is because I'm a music fanatic.

To each his own ?

Nitro
06-27-2009, 11:30 PM
To each his own ?

Precisely! which is why I wanted y'all to make your own lists :P