PDA

View Full Version : New Motorola Droid Phone

Bingo
10-21-2009, 10:09 PM
So have you seen the commercials for this thing yet? Directly aimed and talking smack to the iPhone.

I tell you, this really does look like an interesting phone and may be what finally gets me into a mainstream smartphone. For years now I've used MetroPCS and a Samsung R410. Decent phone but a tiny screen and a crap proprietary web browser and no memory to speak of.

This phone looks to have everything I've wanted in a good phone - real slide out qwerty keyboard, a touch screen, multiple simultaneous apps, Android OS, decent camera, SD card slot, full web browser, Exchange compatibility, replaceable battery, you name it.

Assuming the price point is right, I may for once be an early adopter dork who goes out the day an item is released and scoops it up.

http://www.dialaphone.co.uk/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/173878-moto_droid_bgr_original.jpg

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2009/10/19/motorola-droid-hands-on/

Bingo
10-21-2009, 10:12 PM
Oh, and plus it's on verizon which is a better network and we get a nice BIG fat discount on verizon plans through work. Yay! :P

JIMINATOR
10-21-2009, 10:31 PM
the commercials look great. it will be interesting to see how "open" it really is, ie: can you make your apps, download your own apps, or is it open like the iphone is "open" where you can only download stuff from a central store for a fee, wifi-voice apps not allowed, etc. as greedy as verizon is i'd be pretty surprised if it is a really open system. they like to nickel & dime you for everything, and the main point of what they do is to maximize revenue from each consumer.

Bingo
10-21-2009, 11:24 PM
Well, the Google Android system has been out for about a year now, just not a lot of phones have been using it. I expect this to start really blowing up (Which by the way, was the impetus behind my other thread asking how to learn to create apps).

It's open in that the operating system itself is wide open. So theoretically anyone can get hold of the OS, modify it in some way and slap it onto a phone or other device. I think apps are far more open as well - we could probably distribute some from Gamemecca if we wanted to.

Die Hard
10-22-2009, 05:28 PM
Looks nice Bingo. Not seen or heard of it this side of the pond yet?

The I Phone can be chipped very easily so you don't have to go for their downloads or apps. If you want more info let me know.