PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7

Slay
10-25-2009, 01:00 AM
Well I got my windows and loaded it up and I have to say, so far I think it sucks, no sound, printer and no apps that work even though they are there. I was upgradeing from XP Pro and the documentation told me to use custom install and I might have to reinstall some programs. my wireless router is on the task bar but when I click it it says I need administrative privelidges !! What the f... ! I just don't see why everything needs to be such a hastle. I know I will get everything going again but geees. :down:

OUTLAWS Tip
10-25-2009, 01:58 AM
I had xp pro on this system and bought a new hard drive. I just used a fresh install. I got new drivers for my printer and everything worked. I have an older Western Digital backup drive that I am waiting on drivers for. Other than that I've had no problems, and this is on a pc I built nine years ago.

I didn't think you could do an upgrade from xp. I am thinking you would be better off just backing up your data and just doing a full install.

Slay
10-25-2009, 04:52 PM
Yeah, I just done it that way to try and save time but I decided to do a clean install and everything is working now. The things that didn't work right off the bat I just loaded drivers for Vista and POW!! they worked. :D

j5tar
10-26-2009, 07:07 AM
Did the clean install work with just the "upgrade disc"? If so, do I need any special method to install it?

OUTLAWS Tip
10-26-2009, 03:12 PM
Looks like you will have the option to wipe your drive and do a clean install with the upgrade disk.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2354687,00.asp?kc=PCRSS03069TX1K0001121

Slay
10-26-2009, 08:40 PM
It's like previous versions I think, If you start the setup in windows It can see you have an eligible version. If you do a clean install it might ask for the setup disk of the previous. The only thing I can think of is going into your BIOS and setting your CD/DVD as first on the boot priority list.

JIMINATOR
10-26-2009, 11:26 PM
there are ways to get around the limitations, to use an upgrade version as a full install. the old trick of installing twice sometimes works, there is a reg hack if that doesn't, and so forth.

Slay
10-29-2009, 08:57 PM
I have to admit, I am liking it so far. Things are all different as far as finding your files and sutch but I think I'll keep it :) Unlike my Windows ME, Used it for one week and went back to 98. I really like the gadgets even though they seem to still have bugs. Is anyone having problems ?

Death Engineer
10-29-2009, 09:52 PM
It is my experience that doing an in-place install NEVER saves you time and almost always costs you both time and headaches. Just say no. Backup your stuff, install on a fresh format and you'll save yourself from the endless hastles.

JIMINATOR
10-29-2009, 10:58 PM
eh, for things like this I will always buy a new hard drive. clean install, migrate your data and so forth when ready, once done you have a backup you can remove from your system. any failures, you can always revert to the prior system.

OUTLAWS Tip
10-30-2009, 12:08 AM
eh, for things like this I will always buy a new hard drive. clean install, migrate your data and so forth when ready, once done you have a backup you can remove from your system. any failures, you can always revert to the prior system.

That's what I did and now have plenty of extra space on my new drive.
:thumbs: