PDA

View Full Version : Serious Sam:SE - HD : review

JIMINATOR
04-29-2010, 02:12 AM
This came out today. Most of you might know, FE came out a couple of months ago. Some of you might be wondering if you should pick it up. Will it create more good times like the original SE did?

Chances are I think not. But that doesn't mean the game is not worth it. Just that most people have moved on. This is Sam with better textures.

Sam FE had the little trouble map. SE does have hole, fortress, lost tomb and some others. The maps have mostly been remade. I think they still need a lot of lighting tweaks. The look somewhat familiar but do not feel the same. Most of the power ups and cannons are gone.

The insane speed jumping glitch is gone. Knife is still faster, but I doubt there will be any trick jumping videos coming out. Weapons also have been rebalanced. DBSG no longer rules because of wide spread and slow reload.

They have added lots of multiplayer modes, beast hunt (+team), CTF, DM (+team), instakill, last man standing (+team), and burden (where whoever holds a weight the longest wins).

single player mode is probably the stong point here. it is pretty much like you remember without all the changes.

anyway, for all of you that got 1000+ hours out of SE, toss croteam a bone, buy the game. Its pretty cheap, like the first ones were.

Gun Element
04-29-2010, 02:22 AM
I tried online, but only 1 person was playing. I played single player. Not the same feel.

I dont know if its my age. When I first played Sam I was in Jr. High, now I'm on my way to graduating College. With this in mind I just dont think I will enjoy the game as much I as want to.

Survival mode is a neat idea though, I am enjoying that!

NightBreed
04-29-2010, 01:52 PM
Played it for a hour or so last nite..New modes are pretty cool, some interesting maps too..got potential

Lovin' it so far !!

JIMINATOR
05-01-2010, 03:17 AM
I am actually replaying single player mode. SE was really my first FPS I ever played. I played easy (no rocket spash) and some sections still took me weeks (honestly, weeks!) to get through. I would play for 15 minutes, save if I had enough health or reload if not. Then grow frustrated and rage quit. (nothing ever changed... :D ) 5 minutes later I would fire it back up... This time around I am really having fun with the chain saw. I don't think I ever used it. Tears the hell up out of chains of kleers and bulls...

Suicidal
05-01-2010, 07:20 PM
I will most likely get the game when my finals are over. Beat it once or twice on single player, and maybe screw around in multiplayer with a bunch of people. I'll let you know when I finally buy the game.

Edit: Soon after, I realized I was extremely bored, so I went and bought it anyway. I still have a final in two days though.

TurlockJC
05-02-2010, 03:50 AM
I just downloaded the game right now. Played the first hd in xbox 360 but I decide to play this one for the pc. multiplayer:D

Asian Invasian
05-03-2010, 02:38 AM
This came out today. Most of you might know, FE came out a couple of months ago. Some of you might be wondering if you should pick it up. Will it create more good times like the original SE did?

Chances are I think not. But that doesn't mean the game is not worth it. Just that most people have moved on. This is Sam with better textures.

Sam FE had the little trouble map. SE does have hole, fortress, lost tomb and some others. The maps have mostly been remade. I think they still need a lot of lighting tweaks. The look somewhat familiar but do not feel the same. Most of the power ups and cannons are gone.

The insane speed jumping glitch is gone. Knife is still faster, but I doubt there will be any trick jumping videos coming out. Weapons also have been rebalanced. DBSG no longer rules because of wide spread and slow reload.

They have added lots of multiplayer modes, beast hunt (+team), CTF, DM (+team), instakill, last man standing (+team), and burden (where whoever holds a weight the longest wins).

single player mode is probably the stong point here. it is pretty much like you remember without all the changes.

anyway, for all of you that got 1000+ hours out of SE, toss croteam a bone, buy the game. Its pretty cheap, like the first ones were.

That's disappointing, you are referring to ledge jumping correct?

JIMINATOR
05-03-2010, 04:04 AM
yes, that's correct.

Asian Invasian
05-03-2010, 04:08 AM
yes, that's correct.
Nooo!

Ill get it in the next couple days anyway..

FUS1ON
05-03-2010, 07:21 PM
I've checked the normal places and don't like Steam, is Steam the only place to buy this?

It's amazing what some peeps will do to get something for free, some of these are just so wrong ... I bet some of you mofos are on there. :D
http://www.destructoid.com/win-some-serious-sam-hd-second-encounter-steam-codes--171781.phtml

Gun Element
05-03-2010, 08:49 PM
Pretty intense stuff. I dont think I would go that far. I wonder if some of those people we know are here in the forums :D

JIMINATOR
05-04-2010, 02:27 AM
lol, they gave that BobPalindrome guy a copy so he would stop posting his photo... :D

FUS1ON
05-04-2010, 04:35 AM
^^^ I got to his pictures and damn near broke my birdie finger trying to scroll faster

Asian Invasian
05-04-2010, 05:29 AM
I just got destroyed by some kid ive never met before named infinity.. :'(

Dangerous Dan
05-04-2010, 06:14 AM
Damn, if I had a PC I'd be all over this, but alas I've since switched to a Macbook... :(

Gun Element
05-04-2010, 07:30 AM
nooooo dan!

He Is Legend
05-04-2010, 01:36 PM
Damn, if I had a PC I'd be all over this, but alas I've since switched to a Macbook... :(

You sir, fail

*Titanium*
05-04-2010, 08:05 PM
Hey guys,

Long time no see :D

Hope all is well with everyone here :)

This game is great!! Love Instakill and capture the flag...We should def. organize a meet up on any of the versus game modes!!

Playing on the low ping servers for us North American's like Dallas, new york is very smooth and fun!!

Even tried servers with 200ms and it runs just fine but on servers with 300ms it's unplayable so stick to the low ping servers and you'll have a good time!!!

There seems to be a lot of low ping American servers paid by croteam so we should take advantage of them while they are still up!!

Looking forward to gaming with you guys :cool:

Die Hard
05-04-2010, 09:23 PM
Damn, if I had a PC I'd be all over this, but alas I've since switched to a Macbook... :(Me too :o

Asian Invasian
05-04-2010, 10:57 PM
Hey guys,

Long time no see :D

Hope all is well with everyone here :)

This game is great!! Love Instakill and capture the flag...We should def. organize a meet up on any of the versus game modes!!

Playing on the low ping servers for us North American's like Dallas, new york is very smooth and fun!!

Even tried servers with 200ms and it runs just fine but on servers with 300ms it's unplayable so stick to the low ping servers and you'll have a good time!!!

There seems to be a lot of low ping American servers paid by croteam so we should take advantage of them while they are still up!!

Looking forward to gaming with you guys :cool:
Titan! What up man, long time no see. I was wondering when you would stop by.

We need to get some games going like in the old days ;)

*Titanium*
05-05-2010, 01:11 AM
Played it for a hour or so last nite..New modes are pretty cool, some interesting maps too..got potential

Lovin' it so far !!

Enjoying it so far as well!! Tell "The R's" to get this game as I miss seeing him around and his server!!

the multiplayer is great! only if more people played

I'm sure it will pick up!!!

I am actually replaying single player mode. SE was really my first FPS I ever played. I played easy (no rocket spash) and some sections still took me weeks (honestly, weeks!) to get through. I would play for 15 minutes, save if I had enough health or reload if not. Then grow frustrated and rage quit. (nothing ever changed... :D ) 5 minutes later I would fire it back up... This time around I am really having fun with the chain saw. I don't think I ever used it. Tears the hell up out of chains of kleers and bulls...

Yep it's like 2003 all over again well almost hehe :)

I just downloaded the game right now. Played the first hd in xbox 360 but I decide to play this one for the pc. multiplayer:D

Awesome how's gothi doing?

I've checked the normal places and don't like Steam, is Steam the only place to buy this?

It's amazing what some peeps will do to get something for free, some of these are just so wrong ... I bet some of you mofos are on there. :D
http://www.destructoid.com/win-some-serious-sam-hd-second-encounter-steam-codes--171781.phtml

Steam is the only place to buy it at and it's just $20

lol!! :( lol!!!

ahh crap i was hoping u would play :) get a pc they are pretty damn cheap nowadays...i'm using an old 2006 rig(xp4600+, geforce8600, 2gigsram) and the game runs great...i'm sure u can get a better comp at a really good price!!!

Titan! What up man, long time no see. I was wondering when you would stop by.

We need to get some games going like in the old days ;)

Sure thing bro, will do :)

SHOTGUNmaniac
05-05-2010, 02:38 AM
Titanium, that name sure rings a bell :D

*Titanium*
05-05-2010, 04:16 AM
Titanium, that name sure rings a bell :D

Hey Shotgun, it's good too see u too:) ...I forgot my old 2003 login luckily i still remember this other one I'm using right now!!

I still remember the good ol days when we both were in God's clan and both later joined SPWA/Exodus...you played as Gladiator in those days and I was Herc(Gods), Gambit(SPWA) fun times!! :D

EXEcution
05-05-2010, 04:36 AM

I've played against him in SS:FE HD. He is really good, but not unbeatable. :D He added me as a friend. I'll get the game on Tuesday and we can all play!

*Titanium*
05-05-2010, 06:47 AM
I've played against him in SS:FE HD. He is really good, but not unbeatable. :D He added me as a friend. I'll get the game on Tuesday and we can all play!

sounds good :D

Phantom_
05-05-2010, 11:57 AM
so this game is only available on steam?

will it also be possible to buy this game the "old" way some day? i mean like.. leave your house and go outside for once, head to the store and buy this game on a good old cd or dvd? :P

JIMINATOR
05-05-2010, 01:57 PM
it costs a lot of money to get a publisher and put a product in retail stores. even then it would require steam to work.

Asian Invasian
05-05-2010, 03:01 PM

will it also be possible to buy this game the "old" way some day? i mean like.. leave your house and go outside for once, head to the store and buy this game on a good old cd or dvd? :P
Phantom! Get it on steam, its only 20 dollars. Or your booted from the clan :P

Suicidal
05-05-2010, 04:18 PM
Or wait for a sale! At least a 25% off!

Finnish Guy
05-05-2010, 04:32 PM

will it also be possible to buy this game the "old" way some day? i mean like.. leave your house and go outside for once, head to the store and buy this game on a good old cd or dvd? :PAccording to steam forums it should come "soon".

*Titanium*
05-05-2010, 05:23 PM
According to steam forums it should come "soon".

I think you'll still need steam to play online once it's released in retail stores. May as well get it now unless you want the box art!!!

*Titanium*
05-05-2010, 05:48 PM
Netcode does not suck guys, it's been improved!! Not perfect but better then SSHD:FE!!

Make sure your comp is: virus free, no spywares, registries cleaned, disk cleaned and comp defrag!!!

Try playing on the low ping servers with good frame rate and you'll have a smooth enjoyable game....don't run the game at ultra high settings in Multiplayer as you'll experience stuttering/lag...I use medium to low graphic settings for MP and high to ultra for SP and so far it's been great!!!

Finnish Guy
05-05-2010, 05:55 PM
Check the new House of Sam trailer :D http://www.gametrailers.com/video/exclusive-house-serious-sam/65252

*Titanium*
05-05-2010, 06:20 PM
Check the new House of Sam trailer :D http://www.gametrailers.com/video/exclusive-house-serious-sam/65252

lol that is hilarious!!! :D

Gun Element
05-05-2010, 07:48 PM
Its just like Metro 2033. I bought the hard copy at the store and I couldn't install it unless I was logged into steam.

That's if they do CD/DVD copies, which I doubt.

Finnish Guy
05-05-2010, 08:15 PM
I think you'll still need steam to play online once it's released in retail stores. May as well get it now unless you want the box art!!!True. I'd prefer having it with box art more than just data myself...
I may get it later if they sell it/them somewhere. Gold edition would be nice like they did with original.

Gun Element
05-05-2010, 08:37 PM
True. I'd prefer having it with box art more than just data myself...
I may get it later if they sell it/them somewhere. Gold edition would be nice like they did with original.

If they did it would be in steam :D

Rivers
05-06-2010, 01:58 AM
oh wow its been awhile hasn't it yeah i just bought SSSE HD off Steam downloading it now I have FE HD it was alright im curious to see what the multiplayer will be like after all these years

*Titanium*
05-06-2010, 06:27 AM
oh wow its been awhile hasn't it yeah i just bought SSSE HD off Steam downloading it now I have FE HD it was alright im curious to see what the multiplayer will be like after all these years

Hey buddy long time no see :)

How's everything with you man?

Still remember the good ol days back in god's clan...I was Herc and we played some great games together :D

SHOTGUNmaniac
05-06-2010, 11:42 AM
Hey Shotgun, it's good too see u too:) ...I forgot my old 2003 login luckily i still remember this other one I'm using right now!!

I still remember the good ol days when we both were in God's clan and both later joined SPWA/Exodus...you played as Gladiator in those days and I was Herc(Gods), Gambit(SPWA) fun times!! :D

Awesome to see you still kicking around :)

Black Rose
05-06-2010, 11:52 AM
Woot good news, now I think I will buy it on steam also :)
Herc, if you are excited, I trust you!! Okey.. canīt wait to kill you guys :P

NightBreed
05-06-2010, 04:16 PM

:wave: Hey !! :) Here's a blast from the past !!!

*Titanium*
05-06-2010, 04:37 PM
Woot good news, now I think I will buy it on steam also :)
Herc, if you are excited, I trust you!! Okey.. canīt wait to kill you guys :P

Hey BR :)

I would luv to game with you like in the old days :D, But the truth is, this game favors players with low ping as it seems!! Your in Europe and as such, it will be hard/unpleasant for Europeans to play on the American servers and vise-versa....unlike SSSE with a 300 ping I can play in European servers but with SSHD:SE it's laggy, stutters and you find your hits don't register with high ping...

For North Americans, there are tons of servers right now (Dallas, New York, LA) that give ping under 100 which makes for a smooth gameplay...So I just want you to be aware of all this...

Also, the servers have been empty as it seems...no one's really playing besides those who posted in this thread. I have met AI, Gun Element, Marz and Cody...no one else so far and these guys play in evening eastern time when I think most Europeans are sleeping...

Take a look at this screenshot recently taken (zero players):

Hopefully more will play as this game get's popular!!!

*Titanium*
05-06-2010, 04:39 PM
:wave: Hey !! :) Here's a blast from the past !!!

Hey NR, good to see you too!!! :)

*Titanium*
05-06-2010, 07:42 PM
For you Europeans, try it out and see for yourself as you never know it might be fun and smooth game play for you guys (that is, if your ping is under 200ms in the american servers) which it might be since this game gives lower ping then SSSE!! For example on American servers in SSSE I would average 120-200 and in SSHD:SE i would average 40-120...see the difference? so for you guys it might be ok depending on your location/internet connection!!! the game is only $20. and SP mode alone is worth it!

Also forget to mention I met politician (euro player) and he's playing on the American servers and so far I haven't heard him complain...

Rivers
05-07-2010, 12:13 AM
Herc oh yeah dude yes i remember that now totally fun times. I actually don't play that many multiplayer games anymore but I DID buy SSSE HD and it was alright. Someone mentioned earlier that the double shotty doesn't do as much damage that is SOOOOO true. That was my go to weapon of choice and I found myself using the chaingun for kills mostly. Also I tried shooting rockets out of the air and it didn't work maybe my aim just sucks so badly after all these years. I go by "audioblinker" in the game so if he see him....that's me.

SHOTGUNmaniac
05-07-2010, 01:50 AM
is it realy worth buying ? Is it really a good laugh ?

Suicidal
05-07-2010, 03:32 AM
Being a bit judgmental there, are we?

*Titanium*
05-07-2010, 03:49 AM
Herc oh yeah dude yes i remember that now totally fun times. I actually don't play that many multiplayer games anymore but I DID buy SSSE HD and it was alright. Someone mentioned earlier that the double shotty doesn't do as much damage that is SOOOOO true. That was my go to weapon of choice and I found myself using the chaingun for kills mostly. Also I tried shooting rockets out of the air and it didn't work maybe my aim just sucks so badly after all these years. I go by "audioblinker" in the game so if he see him....that's me.

cool and hope to meet up with ya in the game :)

JIMINATOR
05-07-2010, 05:26 AM
is it realy worth buying ? Is it really a good laugh ?
lol, you guys probably spent 2000 hours playing the first one, which you probably downloaded, and you are worried about spending 20 bucks....

Wiper
05-07-2010, 10:44 AM
Not 100% sure yet but seems like they have finally fixed the netcode.. I joined a USA server yesterday and with 100 ping I had hardly no stuttering.

Bad thing is that the jump "glitch" is gone which turns this game in a regular DM. Nowadays that isn't enough, many games these days give you more. Also the maps look good but missing some gameplay inspiration. So I don't think it will become another 7-8 years to be honest.

SHOTGUNmaniac
05-07-2010, 11:02 AM
lol, you guys probably spent 2000 hours playing the first one, which you probably downloaded, and you are worried about spending 20 bucks....

Where in those questions did I state that I was worried about going buying something ?

I asked 2 simple questions, and as per usual, the sarcasm comes out !

JIMINATOR
05-07-2010, 02:01 PM
that's just me saying I still love you. don't take it personally... :)

*Titanium*
05-07-2010, 05:01 PM
Not 100% sure yet but seems like they have finally fixed the netcode.. I joined a USA server yesterday and with 100 ping I had hardly no stuttering.

Bad thing is that the jump "glitch" is gone which turns this game in a regular DM. Nowadays that isn't enough, many games these days give you more. Also the maps look good but missing some gameplay inspiration. So I don't think it will become another 7-8 years to be honest.

GG yesterday Wiper, we'll def. play again :)

Too bad for that player who was making those annoying voice sounds!!!

I just found out at seriously forums you can disable it:

You can mute players by hitting tab twice, then double clicking his name and smashing the MUTE button. :)

Also there is some skills required in DM...like in map "Jump over" you have time your jump and run up the wall to get the 200 Health and Armour...I finally got them after several tries :D!!!

EXEcution
05-07-2010, 07:15 PM
Got my finance midterm done and over with! My last one is on Tuesday and I'll finish by 12:00 noon so I'll be on then!

Gun Element
05-07-2010, 08:16 PM
Got my finance midterm done and over with! My last one is on Tuesday and I'll finish by 12:00 noon so I'll be on then!

If you haven't bought and downloaded it yet, you should. That way it will create a tension between your studies and the game :P.

No seriously, do that so when you are done, you can play. Since with noob AI he was like "Ill buy it tomorrow" which he did and texted me "I bought it! Lets play!"

"Ok!" I say.

"Oh I guess I have to wait for an 1 hour and 34 minutes...should've bought it yesterday" - AI

"....." - Me

EXEcution
05-08-2010, 04:18 AM
If you haven't bought and downloaded it yet, you should. That way it will create a tension between your studies and the game :P.

No seriously, do that so when you are done, you can play. Since with noob AI he was like "Ill buy it tomorrow" which he did and texted me "I bought it! Lets play!"

"Ok!" I say.

"Oh I guess I have to wait for an 1 hour and 34 minutes...should've bought it yesterday" - AI

"....." - Me

I am planning to buy it and start downloading right before I leave to study for my final on Tuesday at 8:30AM. That way by the time I am done taking the test the game will be ready to play.

Gun Element
05-08-2010, 06:46 AM
I am planning to buy it and start downloading right before I leave to study for my final on Tuesday at 8:30AM. That way by the time I am done taking the test the game will be ready to play.

Good deal :)

j5tar
05-08-2010, 10:37 AM

Good luck. I finally finished my finals last week! Building my new rig in about a week or so I might download SE. Didn't really play much of the FE though because I couldn't find a decent server.

Wiper
05-08-2010, 05:07 PM
GG yesterday Wiper, we'll def. play again :)

Too bad for that player who was making those annoying voice sounds!!!

I just found out at seriously forums you can disable it:

Also there is some skills required in DM...like in map "Jump over" you have time your jump and run up the wall to get the 200 Health and Armour...I finally got them after several tries :D!!!

Was a gg indeed :thumbs: And thnx for the mute-tip....I'm affraid it's gonna be usefull :D

*Titanium*
05-08-2010, 08:49 PM
Was a gg indeed :thumbs: And thnx for the mute-tip....I'm affraid it's gonna be usefull :D

Np :)

Finnish Guy
05-18-2010, 04:03 PM
There will be free multiplayer weekend in future, probably have lot players online when that take place. Don't know yet what weekend it is.