PDA

View Full Version : Teens Sent Home for Wearing American Flag T-Shirts

FUS1ON
05-06-2010, 11:57 PM
Whatever happened to freedom of expression? Apparently, it is an offense to wear the American flag on clothing in the United States on another country’s holiday. On May 5, Cinco de Mayo, five students at the Live Oak High School in Morgan Hill, California were asked to remove T-Shirts and bandanas with American flag designs, according to msnbc.com.

One of the boys, Daniel Galli, told MSNBC that the school’s vice principal approached him and his four friends during a break and asked them to remove their flag bandanas and turn their T-shirts inside out. They were sent to the principal’s office after refusing to do what was asked.

They said the administrators told them that their flag garb was "incendiary" and would lead to fights because of the Mexican holiday. They were told that if they attempted to return to class without following the instructions, they would be suspended for being defiant. To avoid suspension, the boys decided to go home.

The campus has a large Mexican-American student body and some of the students said they were offended and thought an apology was necessary.

"I think they should apologize cause it is a Mexican Heritage Day," Annicia Nunez, a Live Oak High student, said. "We don't deserve to be get disrespected like that. We wouldn't do that on Fourth of July."

"Fat chance," is what the boys and their families had to say to requests for an apology. The boys’ parents are just as upset as their children and say the whole situation is "total nonsense." They feel that they should be able to display their American pride any day of the year.

http://www.comcast.net/news/badeaupov/2053/teenssenthomeforwearingamericanflagtshirts/

An apology, you have got to be freaking kidding me. I hope the parents of the kids that got sent home file a lawsuit against that school board, this crap is getting out of hand. :rolleyes:

FUS1ON
05-07-2010, 12:08 AM
LOL Even the school board didn't agree with the school's handling of the matter. ;)

The five boys and their families met with a Morgan Hill Unified School District official Wednesday night. The district and the school do not see eye-to-eye on the incident and released the following statement:

The district does not concur with the Live Oak High School administration's interpretation of either board or district policy related to these actions.

The boys will not be suspended and were allowed to return to school Thursday. We spotted one of them when he got to campus -- and, yes, he was sporting an American flag T-shirt.

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local-beat/Students-Wearing-American-Flag-Shirts-Sent-Home-92945969.html

Suicidal
05-07-2010, 12:52 AM
There must have been some reason they all decided to do that. It's possible they all wore the shirts for the purpose to insult them. At least I think that's what the school board thought when they first saw them.

EXEcution
05-07-2010, 01:31 AM
According to one of the moms in the video, the boys were "expressing their individuality.." I think I will be expressing mine tomorrow by wearing communist (hammer and sickle) paraphernalia.

FUS1ON
05-07-2010, 03:32 AM
There must have been some reason they all decided to do that. It's possible they all wore the shirts for the purpose to insult them. At least I think that's what the school board thought when they first saw them.

You must not have read my second post. The School board didn't have a problem with it, it was the school's vice-principle Miguel Rodriguez.

Suicidal
05-07-2010, 03:33 AM
Yeah, that's what I meant. I thought I fixed that...

Grimmy
05-07-2010, 04:55 AM
WOW!! just wow! The things that are going on and being made into big a deal, when it really isn't these days.

NightBreed
05-08-2010, 12:56 PM
:confused: Unbelievable...

I probably won't see it in my lifetime, but my kids will...This country's heading towards another civil war..Except this time it won't be with swords and old rifles..