PDA

View Full Version : My Hotel

Die Hard
05-16-2010, 09:02 AM
I've bought into and for the moment running a Hotel in Cannes, Southern France. It's a little run down but clean and the location is perfect, slap bang in the centre of town and a one minute walk from the train station. Nearest airport is Nice about a half hour cab ride or 3 stops on the train.

If any of you guys are looking to holiday on the French Riviera this summer and want some affordable accommodation let me know.

The map below shows my position:

Die Hard
05-16-2010, 11:13 AM
A couple of my better rooms

Wiper
05-16-2010, 11:27 AM
Looks nice but what is the price range? :D

Bingo
05-16-2010, 12:22 PM
Woo! Very nice. Congrats man. Impressive

Die Hard
05-16-2010, 12:57 PM
Looks nice but what is the price range? :DSeriously, if you want a room let me know the dates and depending on the length of stay and the type of room you want I will work you out a good price.

I have the following rooms:

Single
Double
Twin

There are budget, medium and expensive rooms, it depends on whether you want a shower and toilet in the room or just a shower or nothing at all?

Aries
05-16-2010, 01:31 PM
Hmm, might be interesting :-)

Wiper
05-16-2010, 03:13 PM
Seriously, if you want a room let me know the dates and depending on the length of stay and the type of room you want I will work you out a good price.

I have the following rooms:

Single
Double
Twin

There are budget, medium and expensive rooms, it depends on whether you want a shower and toilet in the room or just a shower or nothing at all?

Still looking for a destination for a long weekend preferable in Italy, but extra options don't hurt :)

FUS1ON
05-16-2010, 03:43 PM
What is that drinking fountain doing so close to the toilet? :P

Wow DH that is too cool, good luck with that!

Die Hard
05-16-2010, 03:50 PM
Hmm, might be interesting :-)I bought it with you in mind :cool:

JIMINATOR
05-16-2010, 04:29 PM
What is that drinking fountain doing so close to the toilet? :P

Wow DH that is too cool, good luck with that!

That is not a drinking fountain, it is called a spittoon, they get fancy in europe.

Grimmy
05-16-2010, 04:33 PM
hmmm GM LAN party location?!?!?! :thumbs:

maybe I could put to use my passport then!

Nice DH!!

Lady Doom
05-16-2010, 07:39 PM
wow really impressive:thumbs:

Nice place. President's appartment is for me remember that:D

Pure_Evil
05-17-2010, 03:49 AM
hmmm GM LAN party location?!?!?! :thumbs:

maybe I could put to use my passport then!

Now the man's thinking!

ripper
05-17-2010, 09:10 AM
Looks Great Paul, Good Luck With It :thumbs:

He Is Legend
05-17-2010, 04:07 PM
Sweet!

Nick
05-17-2010, 05:04 PM
very nice!

BlackWolf
05-17-2010, 05:29 PM
Very nice :cool:

Aries
05-18-2010, 10:13 PM
Now the man's thinking!

would be fun to meet you guys over here in Europe :wootrock:

Gun Element
05-18-2010, 10:17 PM
Damn thats awesome, might have to take the offer sometime ;)

Die Hard
05-19-2010, 11:51 AM
Well what a rollercoaster ride. I arrived here just over 3 weeks ago to a complete mess. The full sign was on the door and the hotel was empty! My (alledged) Manager turned out to be a useless, aggressive drunk with an aptitude for false accounting.

I fired him a week ago, subsequently the police have been here twice to try and remove him from the free room he lives in here; both attempts unsuccessful! Yesterday he left with 2 suitcases so i got a locksmith in and removed his lock and had a new one fitted. He will be back soon and all hell will break loose because it looks like everything he owns is still in the room. He also still has keys for the main entrance door and the main office.

This guy has also now alienated all the staff against me (i'm glad because they are all free loaders) so now i have no chamber maids or cleaners!

I hope i can stick this out because its really testing me :o

FUS1ON
05-19-2010, 04:27 PM
Add a few more details and I think there is a movie plot in that story DH. :D

Seriously though, good luck with that.

JIMINATOR
05-19-2010, 05:01 PM
sorry to tell you this bud, but you really need to spend a month there to get the place sorted out. Having long distance businesses do not work out unless you have someone you can trust to run it, and even then you get screwed a lot.... :(

EXEcution
05-20-2010, 03:18 AM
Sounds like a good business. Good luck and remember that people are your most important asset, so choose them carefully.

Die Hard
05-20-2010, 10:33 AM
Hmm now I find out the ex manager (still yet to return) has remote access to the hotel emails! My service provider is posting me new passwords and hopefully i can change that tomorrow.

Hired a new receptionist 3 days ago and she is fantastic, she just rolls up her sleeves and gets stuck in. Also hired a new chamber maid today and so far so good.

My g/f had a family emergency and had to fly back home two days ago so now i'm alone and it's a little eerie to say the least. Moi Francais il est non ce bon!!

Die Hard
05-20-2010, 10:50 AM
sorry to tell you this bud, but you really need to spend a month there to get the place sorted out. Having long distance businesses do not work out unless you have someone you can trust to run it, and even then you get screwed a lot.... :(Yep I knew as much before I came and I plan on staying at least another couple of weeks. I just didn't realise quite how bad the staff were.

Hey ho tomorrow is another day :)

ME BIGGD01
05-20-2010, 04:16 PM
Congrats DH, may success follow you.

Now down to business. You need to first of all understand that this is your business. You are the boss. Never take shit from anyone and the most important is your clients. Any employee that goes against your policy should be released. If I was you, the first thing I would have done was hold a staff meeting to lay the ground rules. First and foremost, each staff member needs to realize that in this economy, being unemployed would not be the smart thing and make them know it's your way or the highway. The truth is you have to be the biggest prick. It's a force of making them understand who signs the checks. If there is any staff member that can not understand or respect that than they should be fired. Make a few examples out of them. Boosting them in a positive direction to let them see the cancer employees have it all wrong. It's a tough position to be boss but if you want this business to work you must be firm and your ideal plan must be presented to each of them so they are aware of the direction you are intending. Never fall for a sob story either. As far as I feel, if they had a sob stroy, they would make sure they did not F up their position. All you need to do is make sure your customers are happy and your staff needs to believe that.

I believe Slice is into the hotel business and maybe he can offer you some advice. I think he had a problem logging in over a month ago but I am sure someone knows him that they can get ahold of him. Knowing the business is key and any advice should be helpful with your journey into this.

I wish you the best of luck and hope all works out. Remember to put you ass kicking boots in the morning because it looks like you will need to clean up before you move forward.:thumbs:

ME BIGGD01
05-20-2010, 04:19 PM
I almost forgot.... I would invest into a remote camera system. Put eyes in the sky so you can at any time log in and check on how things are going. An old Italian guy once told me, you have to keep people honest.

Die Hard
05-20-2010, 04:37 PM
Well thanks for the advice man but I've ran a few businesses before so I pretty much know the drill. All the original staff have gone, I either fired them or they left all by themselves so now everyone here is new. It was just finding the right ones to replace them that proved to be the hardest. I hired a receptionist ten days ago because she told me amongst other things that she had great computer skills. The first time she touched the mouse she was trying to use it while waving it in the air!!! I fired her too.

I have a 24/7 camera system installed but I took out the old hard drive because it was full of juicy evidence for future court proceedings that I know the ex-staff will bring against me. I haven't as yet been able to format the new drive because all the menus are in French but hope to do that tomorrow.

Thanks for all the support :thumbs:

Bingo
05-21-2010, 01:02 AM
Wow dude. That does suck. Nothing worse than finding out people were blowing smoke up your rear in a business deal.

It sounds like you definately had some plans ready though for this and that you are kicking things into gear there. Thumbs up on that.

I've been wanting to check in with Slice lately. Bigg is correct - he does, or at least did last time he checked in - have at least one hotel in Key West. I know it's all over the news here that the oil is starting to head that way so I want to see what he's got going down that way.

Use some of these great GM connections and contact him. I bet he could toss some stories your way too!

Please do keep us posted. I don't plan any trips to France anytime soon but you can damn well bet if I do, I'll go out of my way to hit your place up.

B

Aries
05-24-2010, 10:23 AM
DH,
Good luck on getting the place and the staff up to standard! On a humurous note: the French and work, what a combination right?!

If you need any help in translating French, it's my second language ;-)

Too bad that due to these circumstances you won't be able to get the most out of the Cannes Film Festival period, but I wish you a good summer season!

PuRe AnGeL
05-25-2010, 08:10 PM
If you need help over the summer Paul, i'm looking for a job, and i'm not off to uni until september 2011 :).

JIMINATOR
05-26-2010, 03:35 AM
yeah man, if you cover the hookers and booze I'll also hook you up...?