PDA

View Full Version : Wolfram Alpha > Google?

Death Engineer
05-17-2010, 03:36 PM
http://bit.ly/UgNFI

This is some really cool technology. It's no substitution for a good education, but this is a really handy tool that I can see myself using quite a bit.

FUS1ON
05-17-2010, 04:28 PM
That is truly amazing but like you mentioned, I feel people will forget how to use their brains.

Give a hungry person a fish and you feed them for a day,
Teach them to fish for themselves and you feed them for a lifetime.

JIMINATOR
05-17-2010, 04:37 PM
Its interesting, but I suspect it relies on data that can be easily organized and indexed. If it takes off i suspect google will probably buy them. other problem I see is that people can get lazy (like shogun said) and rely on the data which might lead to bad results as there are always multiple ways to interpret the same data.

Dan2
05-18-2010, 06:08 AM
Excellent idea! Looks like a great resource to get direct answers instead of wading through links. Hopefully they won't be subscription based.

Ra\/en
05-19-2010, 07:47 AM
wow. crazy stuff. I think I could see myself wasting a good amount of time on this.

SASQUATCH
05-19-2010, 02:04 PM
Good stuff, it will help me a lot.

Sweet -

Suicidal
05-19-2010, 08:59 PM
Very Cool....I can help my kid with his Calculus homework now :)

He won't need you! He's got Wolfram Alpha!

I don't believe many people will sacrifice an education with the existence of this. Like it said itself, it's for computational data. There are other types of intelligence around, so I don't think people will ever say "I don't need school; I have the Internet!" but for all we know, the future will allow downloading knowledge straight from a computer to our brains!

Man, though, this thing is going to be awesome.