PDA

View Full Version : Items Sold As "Bulk Packaged"

Bingo
06-01-2010, 11:15 PM
So, anyone ever run across this?

I've seen it now and then and never paid much attention to it.

However, I happened to inadvertently buy something recently that apparently was sold "bulk packaged".

It was a new bluetooth headset. It arrived today and in the box was a ziploc bag that had the headset itself and a charger inside. Nothing else. None of the eartips or manual or anything else.

So I sent an email to the company and this is the response I got:

I am sorry to hear that you are not completely satisfied with your order. Although please allow me to offer the following explanation, this item is listed and being sold as " NEW bulk packaged". The definition of a "bulk packaged" item is that this will not include all items or packaged in a retail box.

Anybody ever come across this before? Is this one of those things that's common knowledge and I just somehow never knew it or what?

I'm still pretty pissed considering the actual item page even specifically SAYS, "What's in the Box: headset, AC wall/travel charger, three soft gel eartips, two foam eartip covers, and a printed user manual."

B

NightBreed
06-01-2010, 11:20 PM
Haven't seen that yet, but I'd think "bulk packaging" would be shipped to a retailer, not to the end consumer...

Death Engineer
06-02-2010, 12:38 AM
I'd say that he's jerking your chain. How did you pay for the item? If you paid with a credit card, I would threaten to go to them with this issue. They will immediately reverse the charge taking the money from the vendor until they resolve the issue. Listing something as "bulk packaged" in no way lets someone off the hook for not including something that says it is in the box UNLESS it states that it may not contain everything.

JIMINATOR
06-02-2010, 03:13 AM
The ad was deceptive and you certainly have a claim against that. However bulk packaged can mean a couple of things. It would usually imply that the manufacturer was selling not a product but a set of components to be included with other products. The expectation would be that the company would give them say as a freebie with a phone. Alternatively they might be selling the phone + headset themselves, and someone might take a bunch of these, split them up and sell them separately.

Asian Invasian
06-02-2010, 04:24 AM
fight it, thats lame.

Die Hard
06-03-2010, 07:36 AM
I'd say DE is right. If it's described as one thing and delivered as another then you have a watertight case.

Pure_Evil
06-03-2010, 01:39 PM
I've seen this for blue tooth's before from buy.com

Bingo
06-04-2010, 02:44 AM
Well I like the headset and I did get a killer price on it so when they offered me a partial refund in the amount of the price for a set of replacement accesories, I went ahead and took it.

I felt kind of lame since I wanted to demand a refund and make them pay return shipping too, but I really couldn't argue the price. :P

Basically, the thing normally costs 80-90 bucks and I got it for 57. Then add in the 5 dollar credit for the accessories and I ended up paying 52 dollars for it.

Of course, now it really seems this hasn't been my week for online shopping.

Ordered a $400 lens for my camera. Company shipped it Post Office. Tracking info shows it was delivered today but it damn sure ain't here. So tomorrow I get to deal with that now too. :banghead:

EXEcution
06-04-2010, 03:42 AM
What is the name of the company? This is the internet and if you can find the right people they could threaten/launch a anti-Company X campaign online if this is becoming endemic..

I mean this would probably be a last resort option, see if you could resolve this with their to customer service department first.

Bingo
06-04-2010, 04:53 PM
Whee! It showed up today in the mail. Color me a happy and relieved camper!

SASQUATCH
06-04-2010, 06:34 PM
when you see a product advertised as coming in a bulk package.

Generally that means that it is not in a retail package. That can mean that its in a plain box, or that it is simply wrapped in plastic, straight off the assembly line and not yet put into packaging.
For example, a sound card might come just in a static-free wrapper, without the retail box, and sometimes without any documentation. Bigger, full-assembled products like a DVD player might come in a plain white box rather than a retail box.