US politics seem very popular abroad.

FUS1ON
07-28-2010, 09:46 PM
Bad link

Death Engineer
07-29-2010, 12:13 AM
If it's what I think it is, here's another link:

http://wimp.com/firstamendment/

I'm not sure I agree with everything Franken is saying here, but I do believe there are large things at stake in this arena.

Bingo
07-29-2010, 01:00 AM
That is some really interesting content there. And it is a good point - if Fox and Comcast or someone merge, do you think we would see Comcast users getting better throughput from online sources that are Fox affilitated?

If AT&T and CBS merge, do you think CBS will favor AT&T ads and that AT&T will favor CBS content etc?

And this affects far more than just US customers since the internet has a global reach.

However, do you think the government is really in a position to exert any sort of real quality control over the internet??

It's a tough issue all the way around to say the least.

EXEcution
07-29-2010, 03:04 AM
I did a report on this for a class. Basically, there is no legitimate proof that ISP's and large content providers will act in a way such that smaller ones will suffer greatly.

Nitro
07-29-2010, 03:05 AM
This news isn't nearly as bad as the "internet kill switch" bill trying to be passed by megalomaniacs as we speak...

Sirc
08-15-2010, 06:32 PM
This news isn't nearly as bad as the "internet kill switch" bill trying to be passed by megalomaniacs as we speak...

It's not supposed to be possible to have a "kill switch". That's sort of the point of the internet. Although some countries have managed to do this to a point. I'm guessing there are still ways to get around the kill though.

Source for the bill please?

Nitro
08-17-2010, 03:48 AM
___

EXEcution
08-19-2010, 01:09 AM
No single entity will ever be able to control the internet within our society. The public demand for free and "equal" information will always rival market and government interests. These morons in Congress barely know how the internet even works. Remember Ted Stevens (he passed away recently)? People just need to be made aware of this issue. Net neutrality is many concepts bundled into one. Some are plain false and/or overly sensationalized.